To WGU or not to WGU?

bradl3yCbradl3yC Member Posts: 67 ■■■□□□□□□□
This question is geared more towards the HR/Hiring manager types that are on this forum. How do you view the validity of the WGU degree (for me it would be their BS:IT Sec degree)?

I've been doing a lot of research online and have read so many mixed reviews. The impression I want to avoid from HR/Hiring Managers is "lol WGU..."

Any input is welcome and this post is certainly not a sleight on WGU. I just want to be sure before I spend the money.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    WGU is a non-profit and regionally accredited university. So the whole diploma mill argument doesn't apply here.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Khaos1911Khaos1911 Member Posts: 366
    There will be alot of back and forth, but ultimately...It's accredited, it's affordable, you can work at your own pace, and it allows you to check "yes" on the Bachelors/Masters box on an application. That's all that really matters.
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You might also be overestimating how every HR person knows every school in the country. In my last job interview (where I now work) they asked about WGU but because one of the Sr level infrastructure managers was currently attending. That alone was a positive thing.
  • bobloblawbobloblaw Member Posts: 228
    My argument for WGU is simply the certifications. If you have your CCNA and WGU degree for a networking position, you're likely to beat out a non-ivy grad without their CCNA a majority of the time (sans some state school alumni cronyism).

In IT, I think of it like someone with a law degree that hasn't passed the bar exam.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Whoever questions the validity of WGU degrees either lives in another world, is uneducated, or is simply a biased elitist. IIRC we have discussed before the whole "did HR question your online degree" before and I think in the vast majority of the cases the answer was no. The only case I recall of someone questioning WGU was someone IristheAngel interviewed with and I think it turned out he was an elitist biased towards a particular university.
  • PolynomialPolynomial Member Posts: 365
    School usually only matters in a management consulting type of environment.
  • hurricane1091hurricane1091 Member Posts: 919 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My only argument against it is that a high percentage of jobs want just an Associates, and 90+% that ask for a BS say they will take an Associates and combo of certs and experience. So it depends. This could be different for your area and the jobs you are looking for. If you cannot get a job doing something (whatever it may be) without a BS then you should get one.
  • markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Zero reason why anyone should scoff at it based on reasons already mentioned here. If it fits your needs with it being online, self-paced, affordable, and offering certs, go for it. If you find a school that better suits your needs then go for that. WGU fits me perfectly though, so that's why I'm enrolled.
  • bradl3yCbradl3yC Member Posts: 67 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This is all good information, guys. Thank you. Nobody I have spoken with directly has said anything negative about WGU. I was just bringing up reviews and reading them. I like the idea of getting a B.S. degree and working on certs at the same time, thus the appeal.

I will get the ball rolling with enrollment services after the holidays.

Thanks again
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    bradl3yC wrote: »
    Nobody I have spoken with directly has said anything negative about WGU. I was just bringing up reviews and reading them.

You'll find a number of those bad blog posts you read are from people who either didn't research what the school actually is first or couldn't schedule their own time well and withdrew.

I'm glad you're moving forward. Understand what you're getting into and why you're doing it and you'll be fine. If you need constant hand holding and traditional classes this isn't for you. If you work well on your own and want to check the box that you have a legit BS degree it's the best deal around.
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Whoever questions the validity of WGU degrees either lives in another world, is uneducated, or is simply a biased elitist. IIRC we have discussed before the whole "did HR question your online degree" before and I think in the vast majority of the cases the answer was no. The only case I recall of someone questioning WGU was someone IristheAngel interviewed with and I think it turned out he was an elitist biased towards a particular university.

Ha! Thanks for reminding me of that! Yep, that guy was a Stanford grad and I ended up STILL getting offered the position because he was outvoted by the other 7 people who interviewed me that day.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • itangelitangel Member Posts: 111
    Base on the Title of this thread I would like to also ask a question here as well, I am in no way trying to take over the thread.

By the way Nice Thread, I just got back to the forum. During my time with WGU I never got to finish it due to the kind of job I had at the time 90% of my time was traveling, the rest was broken down between my family and time to sleep. I am however; looking into returning back to WGU, but I am in a cross road between going after the Network Administrator degree or Network Security. I had obtain my Network Administrator Associate with DeVry University and left after 10 classes away from my BS in Network and Communication. Would need an additional 26k+ to finish which I think is nuts and very expensive compare to other options like WGU. If I recall, "Iristheangel" was the one that provided me a referral to WGU which I am Thankful for that. Now I just need to get my butt back there again since i have now a job using all my skills in network & security plus other IT related stuff for the Sheriff Department. Any advice and recommendation that anyone can also provide to me? if I should waste my time going to WGU vs working on certs alone?

I have been in the IT field since 2008 professionally and have a few useless certs but want to I want to get my BS degree and a good cert like CCNA. I do own a Hybrid GNS3 Lab with some 2950 cisco switches and PIX cisco firewall. Thanks! In Advance!

P.S. To bradl3yC I recommend you give it a shot at least since WGU is very affordable and many people in here has been very successful which there is a great amount of resources here that can provide tips, guidance etc... Gluck in your decision.

Network Administrator
    :

Looking forward in 2017: CCENT
  • Disgruntled3lfDisgruntled3lf Member Posts: 77 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The only comment I've had is one gentleman said, "So this Governor University, I guess you're doing that online." When I said that I was his comment was "Uh-huh... I see..." so there are people out there that will judge the degree because it's online and not in a classroom. But you don't want to work with them anyway.
    The only comment I've had is one gentleman said, "So this Governor University, I guess you're doing that online." When I said that I was his comment was "Uh-huh... I see..." so there are people out there that will judge the degree because it's online and not in a classroom. But you don't want to work with them anyway.

You are correct, I got the same for my DeVry University Education even though I even went to a classroom too. I guess some are looking for that MIT type or Stanford type of student with those degree which sadly are still many people who will not hire you unless you have one of those or have study there.

Network Administrator
    :

• Disgruntled3lfDisgruntled3lf Member Posts: 77 ■■■□□□□□□□
    True. What's funny is that this guy had an AA degree for a local community college. I took a couple classes there and they were much less challenging than WGU. Needless to say I declined that offer when it came.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    When I was in a pure IT role it didn't matter at all. My degree was never brought up the fact I had a master was a GREAT thing.

Now that I moved into a junior solutions role (focused on the business more so than on pure technology) Integrating them together to keep us competitive. Anyway.......... Now that I am in a business function other than experience those folks only have their degree to rely on. Certifications aren't part of the formula for most of them, unless they are leading Kaizen events or some other form of quality.

With that said they do go for the best degree especially the Masters. I got my from WGU and most people in my department carry a top 25 business school one. Some did the weekend options, others did night programs. On paper I look like trash compared to them.

HOWEVER, thankfully how you treat people, how you handle stress and how well you deliver matters most. I do all 3 of those things extremely well and no one cares about my degrees. Sometimes it might come up with a little ribbing how I went to WGU, but it's usually a nonfactor.

I would go to WGU again without batting an eye. Unless the company was going to pay for my 140,000 dollar tuition then I would be all over the Masters program.

Speaking of which they do, but I am tired and getting old, I think my days of formalized schooling are over. I would rather just read a book related to my line of business. It's more relaxing, less expensive and less commitment.
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've had a great time at WGU it works well with my schedule, work at my own pace, accelerated, and accredited so it's a win on all fronts for me. The transfer credit process was great allowing me to wipe out a ton of classes with my Associate's degree and various certs.

On a side note I'm 7 classes away from my Bachelor's degree!! :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
    I've had a great time at WGU it works well with my schedule, work at my own pace, accelerated, and accredited so it's a win on all fronts for me. The transfer credit process was great allowing me to wipe out a ton of classes with my Associate's degree and various certs.

On a side note I'm 7 classes away from my Bachelor's degree!! :)

Congrats! Darkingamer87. I want to be there too asap but just not going to happen with DeVry University even though I am that close too. I will lose credit going to WGU but should be a much faster process at least. I may contact them today and talk to them and see what are my options. :D

Network Administrator
    :