Options

Stanly Jan-Mar

Comments

• Options
    xocityxocity Member Posts: 230
    Haven't heard or received anything yet. Its getting close to the start date.
  • Options
    bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    We haven't heard anything either. I suppose as long as we do by Tuesday it's good, but I think it would be nice to have several days to review the class guidelines and get logged into any sites we'll be using and familiarize ourselves with them.
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • Options
    LextanLextan Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Haven't heard anything either. I would have preferred the books to have had an ebook version, oh well.
  • Options
    kernel99kernel99 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i haven't heard anything yet.
    but i'd like to hear home lab setup to prepare before class starts....

thanks
  • Options
    Just got an email

--Welcome to Stanly Community College and your VMware vSphere class.

Your instructor is Dustin Poplin, and his information will be posted in Moodle for you. This course officially begins Tuesday, 13 January 2015, and your access to the class will begin at that time and not before that date. Once you have reviewed all the information in this email, it is very important that you login to our virtual classroom in Moodle on the first day of class to make sure your username & password work and that you can access the class. Please complete the Introductory Assignment on the first day of class.

If you have any login issues, let us know right away by contacting our Technical Support Team. Their contact information can be found at https://stanly.freshdesk.com/support/home . You can reach the Technical Support by telephone, email, or even live chat.

The Stanly Community College Moodle site Welcome to Stanly Community College is our main class website. Everything you need to complete this class is located here in our virtual Moodle classroom. This class is conducted entirely online in an asynchronous manner which basically means it is available 24/7. You can study at your own pace provided you meet the minimum due dates set by your instructor.
    Stanly Community College requires all students to show regular and satisfactory progress in any course in order to maintain access to the class. This includes, but not limited to the completion of assignments and/or labs as directed in the course. Any student who does not show progress in the class within the generally accepted time-frame of two weeks will be dropped from the course. Students dropped beyond the 10% census date will not be issued any refund of tuition paid. Your instructor will give you further instructions from within Moodle on the first day of class.

If you are new to Moodle, your Moodle username is comprised of your first initial of your first name + entire last name + last four digits of your student id. Example: jdoe1234

Your Moodle password consists of your first 2 initials of last name (1st capitalized) followed by a six digit representation of your birthday in the format of mmddyy. Example: John Doe with a birthday of Jan. 5, 1985: Do010585
    Should you need to reset your password, please follow these instructions:

· You will need to login to https://webadvisor.stanly.edu
    · Go to the “Reset Password” link at the bottom of the WebAdvisor page
    o Follow the instructions posted
    o You will need your complete student id number which was sent to you under another email when you registered.
    · You can also contact Technical Support

Once you login to the class, you will find information on the course contents, topics, labs, assignments, etc.

The required textbook information is as follows. The price quoted is from the Stanly Community College Bookstore [URL="tel:%28704-991-0229"](704-991-0229[/URL]):
    · TITLE: VMWARE VSPHERE 5.5: INSTALL,CONFIGURE,MANAGE
    · AUTHOR & PUBLISHER: GILMORE
    · NEW: $43.50 + tax
    **Please Note: Pricing information is subject to change based upon updated data from publishers & instructors** There is an additional shipping charge base on your UPS zone.
    This class ends 03 March 2015. In addition to learning new information & skills, we hope you enjoy your online learning experience here at Stanly Community College.
  • Options
    Good Luck everyone. Have fun!
  • Options
    muneebkalathilmuneebkalathil Member Posts: 148
    I didnt get any email till now. . : worry:
  • Options
    Just got my mail too. I can't log into Moodle but I'm not sure if that's because it's not actually available until tomorrow (the email only says the class itself won't be, so it's a bit vague). I guess I'll keep a watch in this thread to see if others have access before I decide if I'll try to contact the help desk or wait until tomorrow before trying.

• Options
    Got the mail .. well ..

Your instructor is Jeff Drake ..............................

Got on my personal email. . not on student mail .. :)
  • Options
    bermovick wrote: »
    Just got my mail too. I can't log into Moodle but I'm not sure if that's because it's not actually available until tomorrow (the email only says the class itself won't be, so it's a bit vague). I guess I'll keep a watch in this thread to see if others have access before I decide if I'll try to contact the help desk or wait until tomorrow before trying.

I can login now .. No prob with login .. please checkkkk again .. :)
  • Options
    alexfamousalexfamous Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□

Same login as your web advisor to pay for the course.
  • Options
    I hadn't realized I'd changed my password back when paying for the course, so that was why I couldn't get in. A little guesswork on what I'd changed it to got me in.

• Options
    I hadn't realized I'd changed my password back when paying for the course, so that was why I couldn't get in. A little guesswork on what I'd changed it to got me in.

I think , its one password for 3 accounts .. :think:
  • Options
    can we create a group and learn together ? if any one interested ? .. :)
  • Options
    Im cool with that.
  • Options
    LextanLextan Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I got my email too, this should be interesting.
  • Options
    GAB1900GAB1900 Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sorry. Real IT guys don't have Facebook accounts :)
  • Options
    GAB1900 wrote: »
    Sorry. Real IT guys don't have Facebook accounts :)

hehe . So u think Bill gates , mark zuckerberg etc are not real it guys ? . :D . :P .. just a joke ;)
  • Options
  • Options
    i've lowe's book so didn't purchase text book would that be fine???

would this class prepare for vcp-dcv ???

thanks
  • Options
    kernel99 wrote: »
    i've lowe's book so didn't purchase text book would that be fine???

would this class prepare for vcp-dcv ???

thanks

I have mixed feelings about the books, so let me expand on this. Now, I just started the class yesterday so I have not read the whole thing yet (obviously), so this is my first impressions. But on my defense, I took the same vmware class on ESXi 4.1, so I know the book since the format is the same.

First, the bad.
    I think Stanly's book is not overpriced, but shipping is. I paid almost $70 for the set with shipping, and shipping alone was $20+. They ship it "signature required" which is somewhat inconvenient for some of us. Also, the book doesn't go as deep as other text books, like Lowe's or from Vmware Press. We all know this class is not enough to pass the test, is just a pre-requirement. The 3 books are in a small format, and half of each page is divided between the powerpoint slide (what you see on the video) and the text below, which sometimes is read completely by the teacher.
    Also, the lab book doesn't match the labs you will need to do in class. Once again, I just got started but looks like they are not the same.

The good.
    This is the book for this class, not necessarily for the actual test. So, it will help you pass this class. It's broken down in a lot of small parts and easier to follow that a 100 page chapter. Yes, you still need more info, but for the class is fine. The teacher sometimes will read the text you see in the screen, and sometimes he will read (or worst, interpret) the bottom half of the page and I know some important informa. I love having the book since I can read the whole thing, since the teacher not always reads everything. So by just watching the videos, you miss half of the information you should receive. The labs, since they are different, you have to sets that you can practice with. But other study guides have much better labs. I always over spend on books... the class costs so low that I don't mind spending the extra money.

Yes, once the class is done, I will read my other 3 books (I told you, I like having books) and will review the documentation recommended.

I hope this helps.
  • Options
    thank you so much.
    i hvn't bought the book yet i just wondering if i be able to pass just by reading lowe's or study guide vmpress book.
    i felt like the text book doesn't have much info than required and it costs shipping like crazy..

without text book will be fine???
  • Options
    KrusaderKrusader Member Posts: 109
    Any one else having trouble scheduling labs the last 2 days
    2018 Goals
    AWS & Linux Knowledge
  • Options
    We got an email about it yesterday, asking us not to reserve over the weekend while they tried to fix issues people were having with the pods:
    We are aware of the issues that everyone is experiencing with accessing the labs via oll2.stanly.edu. We are working diligently to correct them, but it is taking some time to do so. We ask that you do not make any reservations over the weekend or even into the first of next week. You will be notified when they are back online. However, you can continue to read the course materials and watch the videos.

Due to the delay in you being able to work in the labs, we will be extending the class by one week in order for you to have the appropriate time to complete the course requirements. The new end date will be March 10.

We apologize for any inconvenience, but please be assured we are working as quickly as possible to correct the NetLabs issues. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact your instructor.

• Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I just made my first lab reservation, and I see there are only three pods at the time of this writing. I was rather surprised to see how inconvenient this is as I couldn't work on the labs any time I want to. Is this normal or is it part of the issue?

I made one-hour reservation for each lab. I hope 50-min is plenty to do the first few labs each as I had very little experience playing around with vSphere client and ESXi host.
  • Options
    The other day they had several pods available. When they started having problems, the count went down to three. I am wondering if they're still down since we haven't received any emails that's OK to try again.
  • Options
    zcarenowzcarenow Member Posts: 110
    I have mixed feelings about the books, so let me expand on this. Now, I just started the class yesterday so I have not read the whole thing yet (obviously), so this is my first impressions. But on my defense, I took the same vmware class on ESXi 4.1, so I know the book since the format is the same.

First, the bad.
    I think Stanly's book is not overpriced, but shipping is. I paid almost $70 for the set with shipping, and shipping alone was $20+. They ship it "signature required" which is somewhat inconvenient for some of us. Also, the book doesn't go as deep as other text books, like Lowe's or from Vmware Press. We all know this class is not enough to pass the test, is just a pre-requirement. The 3 books are in a small format, and half of each page is divided between the powerpoint slide (what you see on the video) and the text below, which sometimes is read completely by the teacher.
    Also, the lab book doesn't match the labs you will need to do in class. Once again, I just got started but looks like they are not the same.

The good.
    This is the book for this class, not necessarily for the actual test. So, it will help you pass this class. It's broken down in a lot of small parts and easier to follow that a 100 page chapter. Yes, you still need more info, but for the class is fine. The teacher sometimes will read the text you see in the screen, and sometimes he will read (or worst, interpret) the bottom half of the page and I know some important informa. I love having the book since I can read the whole thing, since the teacher not always reads everything. So by just watching the videos, you miss half of the information you should receive. The labs, since they are different, you have to sets that you can practice with. But other study guides have much better labs. I always over spend on books... the class costs so low that I don't mind spending the extra money.

Yes, once the class is done, I will read my other 3 books (I told you, I like having books) and will review the documentation recommended.

I hope this helps.

So do i need to get the Stanly book in order to do the labs and pass the class successfully? Did anyone have their remote access test fail when trying to connect?
  • Options
    I just made my first lab reservation, and I see there are only three pods at the time of this writing. I was rather surprised to see how inconvenient this is as I couldn't work on the labs any time I want to. Is this normal or is it part of the issue?

I made one-hour reservation for each lab. I hope 50-min is plenty to do the first few labs each as I had very little experience playing around with vSphere client and ESXi host.

Lab 2 takes at least 1.5 hours. I was unable to complete it the first time and had to schedule it again. I've found if you complete a lab early you can free up any remaining reservation time, so I've been reserving a 4-hour block, then free-ing and re-reserving for each lab.

• Options
    The other day they had several pods available. When they started having problems, the count went down to three. I am wondering if they're still down since we haven't received any emails that's OK to try again.

Yesterday (Monday), there were 3 pods available for most of the day. I managed to get the first 7 labs done. Today there are 3 but they're all full. I didn't know there were more than 3 at some point, but if today is any indication, more are definitely needed.