Options

Bought a lab... just looking for opinions

mweaver84mweaver84 Member Posts: 44 ■■■□□□□□□□
So I got my Network+ and little while ago and going to be starting to study for the CCNA. Plan on going for CCNP after so figure I might as well get a lab right now and start playing around with it.

Here is the lab I bought:
Cisco Ccent CCNA CCNP Lab Kit 3X CISCO1841 iOS 15 1 2X 2960 24 iOS 15 0 Rack | eBay

Don't really care much about voice right now so figured 1841s were good.

First set of equipment I bought so just wanted to see what people thought. Feel free to let me know if I paid wayyy too much also :)

Will be getting my "60 days to CCNA" in the mail tomorrow and plan on hammering through it! Wish me luck!

Comments

• Options
    dsgmdsgm Member Posts: 228 ■■■□□□□□□□
    For CCNA you couldve done packet tracer or GNS3 but hey if you have the money, why not buy a lab
    Im heading to my CCNP and i am just buying my switches, will use GNS3 for my routers.

Good luck on your studies
  • Options
    yea :) I've played around a little with packet tracer. Just wanted something more a little hands on. Just makes it more interesting to me. Had a little extra money and anything that makes it more interesting is worth it imo.

Thanks for the reply, best of luck with the CCNP!!
  • Options
    I'm assuming that is definitely enough to start off... Anyone think I paid way more then I should've for that equipment?
  • Options
    bharvey92bharvey92 Member Posts: 419
    It's a decent start and will certainly set you up well with your CCNA and possibly some CCNP Routing with the routers. However you may need to get yourself a couple of L3 switches for your CCNP. Enjoy!
    2018 Goal: CCIE Written [ ]
  • Options
    alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□
    From my limited view of the world, that doesn't seem like a bad deal. I have seen the little racks go for 60 bucks themselves.
    I just put together a lab myself and put about $600 bucks into it with shipping.
    1 x 2811 768D/256F
    2 x 1841 256D/256F
    4 x 2950
    1 x Cyclades 32 port TS-2000 Terminal Server
    4 x WIC-1DSU-T1-V2
    8 x RJ-45 to Rj-45 rollover cables
    I also picked up some RJ-45 ends and rack mounting screws/nuts for my existing 40u cabinet.
    I had enough cat5 laying around that I didn't buy any cables except for the rollover cables.

I can honestly say, I learned a lot just from picking out gear and found it to be valuable "real world" knowledge.
    I already had an HP DL380 G5 on loan from work running ESXi 5.5 so I am able to setup a segregated environment for my lab.
    Plus I'm just a nerd. Some guys like expensive car stereos and Rims. I like old crusty network gear and beat up servers.

Hope you get a lot of use and enjoyment out of your new toys.
    Regards
    “I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”
  • Options
    jayskatajayskata Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Just think of it as an investment for this type of career. I myself bought a mini-lab from ebay as well. Wasn't able to use it that much since it was delivered to me a week before my exam. As of the moment I'm creating lab scenarios that would utilize my 2 switches 2950-24 and 2 2611XM routers. Might as well learn some skills outside of CCNA scope.
  • Options
    tcosictcosic Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would get a 3550 for CCNP.
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you already bought it cost is irrelevant. Just start using it.

The three basic ideas for labs are either:

1 - buy it quick (kits)
    2 - buy it cheap (piece by piece)
    3 - use a simulator (packet tracer) or emulator (GNS3)

All three are valid approaches. I had the time and money so I bought a two router two switch kit and added more parts as I went. I know I did not need any equipment but I preferred it. Since I have talked with several people that don't know where to begin with a real piece of equipment but if you show them a simulator then can get into the console. I at least learned where to plug the console cable in.

Physical labs are just another study aid. You don't have to have them but they give you another piece of experience.
  • Options
    Alex90Alex90 Member Posts: 289
    I like 1841's, got a couple myself. They are small (which is always good for a home lab) and you got IOS 15.x on them.
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Price and equipment wise you did fine. I have seen 1841s lately at $100 and up and you pay a premium for buying a kit. You also got IOS 15 it looks like so even better. Now as you learn you can start to research closer for individual parts without paying the premium.