Options

Passed CISSP via self study utilizing two sources....

spyder manspyder man Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
First-

Thanks to all who have contributed to help achieve this. Therefore, I will do the same.

For me, the thought of achieving the CISSP Certification is quite overwhelming. To add to the drama, I was doing this on my own while working 40+ hours a week, very long commutes to work, satisfying the demands of a 6 year old, and a baby on the way. Oh, and not much support from management.

Because I was going about this alone, I felt that I needed to gather as much material as I could. The more material I had, the better I felt. WRONG (for me that is), because its wasted energy and time. I realized this when I was seeing the same material over and over.

So I narrowed my material down to:

Shon Harris 6th
Eric Conrad 2nd
11th Hour

Reading Shon's book was beneficial for me because of the pace, clear and not overwhelming. However, after the third chapter, I felt that I needed to pickup the pace because I don't retain study information for long periods of time. I jumped over to Eric's book and primarly used his. HOWEVER, I did have Shon's ebook open at all times for issues I didn't grasp 100%. Its good to see two sources explain one concept different ways. After each chapter I read, I used Shon's test engine doing 50 questions. For me, if I could achieve 80% on that amount, I was ready to proceed to the next chapter.

So with all of life's challanges, I wrapped this up in about two months. The Sunday before, I took all day to skim through Eric's book and I saw things that I either missed or forgot. Then I reviewed the 11th Hour that evening after a two hour break. When reviewing the 11th Hour, I realized that I was good to go when concepts were second nature. BUT, I had to be careful because comfortable=carelessness as you read questions too fast and miss pertinent words.

Again, these two books covers it all.

My biggest advice is to stay consistent with your studies. I lapsed twice but finding motivation wasn't too hard when you want more. Also, break out the calendar and choose a date that you would like to take the exam and and create a plan that works best for you to cover the 10 Domains.

Remember, a goal is a wish without a plan.

Best wishes.

Comments

• Options
    dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats....have to agree with you shon harris and eric conrad together should be enough.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! I've completed the AIO and I'm currently refreshing on some domains with Eric Conrad's book. Great recommendations here!
  • Options
    kawak_zx7kawak_zx7 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hi,

congrats for passing the exam.

i wonder why all of you in this forum do not use cccure practise exam engine? is the quiz not relevant to the exam?
    my exam is in a few days ahead, and i am practising a lot focus on working with that quiz. But i am kindly confused and a little bit afraid that i would misleaded to the wrong path.

please suggest.
  • Options
    btrotterbtrotter Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I passed the CISSP last week and used those same sources. I found the Conrad book to be much easier to read even though it did seem to breeze through some areas too quick. I read both books cover to cover, and the Conrad book I read through twice. Anything I found I needed a deeper understanding of I would use the Harris book, and then used the Conrad book to keep me focused on the core knowledge.
  • Options
    impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• Options
    Sscp1986Sscp1986 Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    spyder man Congratz!

Good to hear is inspiring!
    2015: CISSP[Working on it]
  • Options
    Sscp1986Sscp1986 Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratz!
    2015: CISSP[Working on it]