Options

Help on assigning IP address

steantsteant Registered Users Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□

the instruction says :
-Configure the FastEthernet 0/0 ports of R1 using the first address in the range for the networks listed. Configure the FastEthernet 0/1 ports of R1 with the second address in the range for the networks listed in the topology.

Now here is the situation :
1. When I read the instruction at first I put 192.168.10.1/24 on F0/0(R1) and 192.168.10.2/24 on F0/1(R2)
but it said F0/1 is overlapped with F0/0 *

2. Then I looked at the picture again hmmm I thought It might use the Vlan4 for F0/1, and I used VLan4 voila it worked (no error message coming up).

*The thing is Im not sure if that is correct, so I need help from the expert here ^^..

I'm a newbie and I really need help... Thank you

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'm really not sure what you are asking here. You can't have a common subnet shared across multiple interfaces on a router.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Thank you for your respond
    What I am trying to ask here is : whats the IP add for F0/0 and F0/1?
  • Options
    How are you expecting us to know that with the little info provided? I see a 10.0.0.4/30 subnet on the picture but I have no idea if it's supposed to go there or not.
  • Options
    I am sorry if i didnt provide enough information...

okay let me give you the full picture of it
  • Options
    Ok, so do you understand how routers communicate with each other? Do you understand router on a stick? Look into these topics and I think it will become clear.

Good luck!
  • Options
    I think so, hmm okay then. Thank you for your time
  • Options
    SOSstockSOSstock Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Steant,

The problem youre having is that you are trying to assign addresses 192.168.10.1 & 192.168.10.2 to two diffrent interfaces on that router. Both of those addresses are in the same subnet so it will not work. Now if you made f0/0 192.168.10.1/24 and f0/1 192.168.11.1/24, it would work as they are not in the same network.
    I hope this helps. I tried explaining it as simple as possible.
    Goodluck brotha!
  • Options
    SOSstock wrote: »
    Steant,

The problem youre having is that you are trying to assign addresses 192.168.10.1 & 192.168.10.2 to two diffrent interfaces on that router. Both of those addresses are in the same subnet so it will not work. Now if you made f0/0 192.168.10.1/24 and f0/1 192.168.11.1/24, it would work as they are not in the same network.
    I hope this helps. I tried explaining it as simple as possible.
    Goodluck brotha!

Thank you SOSstock,
    Umm yeah I kinda get what your saying. But its router on the stick, so I think the F0/0 10.0.0.5/30 and F0/1 10.1.0.6/30, am I right?
  • Options
    SOSstockSOSstock Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I apologize. I thought you were asking about just the one router shown in your first post. In this case you are now correct as i see you changed the addresses per each vlan to be on diffrent networks.
    Im glad you worked it out.
    Have fun! ;)
  • Options
    SOSstock wrote: »
    I apologize. I thought you were asking about just the one router shown in your first post. In this case you are now correct as i see you changed the addresses per each vlan to be on diffrent networks.
    Im glad you worked it out.
    Have fun! ;)

Thank you Sos