Options

Confused with Standard ip access list

gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
I created an access list using Todd's lammle's book for ICND1 but I am confused... it is access-list 10 permit 192.168.20.2, it had me place it on one of my routers going out on the other network. if anyone has his routing and switch book i am doing hands on lab 12.1

this access list is supposed to only allow packets from a single host on the SF LAN to enter the LA LAN however when i ping from SF PC to LA PC it fails, however i can ping from my SF router to the gateway of the switch on LA

Comments

• Options
    atorvenatorven Member Posts: 319
    The router generated traffic isn't subject to a local acl, in other words only traffic that is transiting the router will be affected by acls.
  • Options
    spacenoxxspacenoxx Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Add another ACL that includes Routers inside interface and try extended ping and and see if that works.
  • Options
    mikeybinecmikeybinec Member Posts: 484 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Lammle has lots of mistakes in his book(s) and there are several in this lab. If you look at the first line on page 531, it sez to allow only one host from the SF lan to enter the LA LAN. .Well the SF Lan is in the 192.168.10.0 network not the x.x.20.0 network..

Regards
    Cisco NetAcad Cuyamaca College
    A.S. LAN Management 2010 Grossmont College
    B.S. I.T. Management 2013 National University
  • Options
    esr0159esr0159 Member Posts: 80 ■□□□□□□□□□
    when you are applying standard or extended ACLs

standard ACLs are placed nearest to the destination
    extended ACLs are placed nearest to the source

:D try to remember those two things
    CCNP R&S | Planning to hit IE R&S or JNCIA or Security path|
  • Options
    Fulcrum45Fulcrum45 Member Posts: 621 ■■■■■□□□□□
    esr0159 wrote: »
    when you are applying standard or extended ACLs

standard ACLs are placed nearest to the destination
    extended ACLs are placed nearest to the source

:D try to remember those two things

This is what blew my mind for about 2 minutes when I was told to input "Outbound" when I would have sworn it was supposed to be "Inbound" on the receiving router.