Passed CISSP recently, took CISM practice exam and scored 76%

btrotterbtrotter Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
I passed my CISSP exam 5 days ago. I was doing a little research trying to decide on the next study path and started thinking about the CISM. On a whim I took the 50 question CISM practice exam from the ISACA website and scored a 76% on it. I was taking the exam during a break at work and some of the trickier questions I just guessed at and kept going. I would have probably scored higher if I would have spent a little more time reading the questions and answers thoroughly. Most of the questions seemed to make sense, especially since I have all the CISSP material still fresh in my mind. Is there really that much overlap in the material that would allow a decent CISM score just from knowing the CISSP material? I understand it was a practice exam and possibly easier than the real exam, but I was expecting it to be more difficult. If the two study paths are that alike, I should probably get the CISM study material and go through it and schedule the exam for a couple months out.
I am not one to load up on certs as I like knowing and understanding the material more than I like to have certs, but if the CISM is just a short reach away, why not.
Thoughts?

Comments

• dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you have the resources to take the exam then go for it. The CISM is only given twice a year.. June and December i think but can be 3 times depending on demand(September). I plan on taking it in June and i'm now in the process of searching for study materials but it seems as if the official ISACA review manual and question booklet are the only reliable/available resources. I had a browse in 2014 Review manual and it is very dull as there is no flow or story line. i had hoped to find a book equivalent of Shon Harris or Eric Conrad and a "sunflower" for CISM.:D
  • btrotterbtrotter Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am planning on taking it. Since the exam date is still a half-year away, I am going to focus on the CISSP-ISSAP for the next few months, hopefully take and pass the exam, then start on the CISM. I was just surprised at how well I did on the practice exam with only having studied for the CISSP.