Options

P2V Clean-up: What things need to be done?

DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
Hi all,

So yesterday I learn something from the other tech in regards to P2V, in the sense that you need to remove all the old drivers from the device manager. Besides the device manager 'clean-up', what other things should I do after a P2V conversion to the VM? - I don't recall reading about this in my studies so I'm curious.

Comments

• Options
    netsysllcnetsysllc Member Posts: 479 ■■■■□□□□□□
    yes remove any hardware that is not longer there from device manager, the network card most importantly it will be hidden so follow this Device Manager does not display devices that are not connected to the Windows XP-based computer. Also if there is any oem or other hardware monitoring software such as raid monitoring and such.
  • Options
    joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Our regular cleanup includes (and won't apply to all):

Removal of Dell Openmanage and all components
    Removal of ATI video drivers
    Removal of Intel nic driver suite
    Removal of HP Openview and all components
    Removal of DPM guest based backup (we use Veeam on the hosts instead) and old restore points
    Removal of any old hardware that no longer exists
    Removal of extraneous CD, Floppy, etc that no longer exit
    Removal of HD audio device (if you P2V'd into workstation and then moved to ESXi)

I think tha'ts about it. That's our regular P2v from physical Dell servers to Vsphere VMs. Prior to conversion:
    Create (or confirm password) of local admin account (to allow logging in after P2v when network doesn't come up)
    ipconfig /all >c:\IPs.txt to document any and all network settings prior to P2V
  • Options
    Thanks guys, will add this to my brain in isle 56900 next to the leave the seat up rule...
  • Options
    joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    haha, exactly where it belongs.

One I did forget is changing the MAC address in Windows if required for software licesning, etc. That's something else the IPconfig /all saves and documents for you.
  • Options
    joelsfood wrote: »
    haha, exactly where it belongs.

One I did forget is changing the MAC address in Windows if required for software licesning, etc. That's something else the IPconfig /all saves and documents for you.

koodos!