New in the tech industry, what is best path to choose

ReptilianReptilian Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

Just joined this forum, looks awesome!

I have almost 1 year of working experience as an application analyst, very interested about IT security but have no experience in this field.

Would it be worth if I took the SSCP course, and how can you gain experience when there are no opportunities out there for beginners in security field? What are the additional steps that should be taken to stand out of the crowd? Also, are there any alternative certifications for beginner IT security analysts that is probably more desirable than InfoSec.

Would be great if you all can help me.

Thank you!

Comments

• impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What other certifications do you have?
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Welcome to the forum.

What type of experience do you have? Where do you want to go in InfoSec?
  • ReptilianReptilian Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    A university degree obtained in 2013
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    You really have to give us more than that if you want our recommendations.
  • ReptilianReptilian Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Very new into IT industry and obtained a degree, very passionate in increasing my knowledge aimed towards IT security.
    To start off my journey in this field, I want to have a broad solid understanding of core areas in security and eventually become a security consultant, was wondering which recommended courses should be taken to achieve this? I've been recommended ISC's SSCP exams, but would be glad if I can also get your opinions as well

Hopefully, this information is helpful. If there is anything more I should write down, please let me know.

Thank you!
  • impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would say go to more technical certification to be more solid, and then jump to security, remember, a good security guys know how to configure something before protect it.
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• ramrunner800ramrunner800 Member Posts: 238
    There are some security opportunities available for beginners, I'm in one. I spent 3 years studying and getting certs and hard skills. It's not easy, but not impossible.
    Currently Studying For: GXPN
  • reubs6reubs6 Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ramrunner, what opportunity were you able to land? I just got my Sec+ a few weeks ago, about to start studying for SSCP before starting to tackle some Microsoft Server stuff. I want to see what entry level stuff I can get into. I am also in school getting my AA and BS in Info systems.

Thanks.
    Plans for 2017
    PMP-September
  • ramrunner800ramrunner800 Member Posts: 238
    reubs6 wrote: »
    ramrunner, what opportunity were you able to land? I just got my Sec+ a few weeks ago, about to start studying for SSCP before starting to tackle some Microsoft Server stuff. I want to see what entry level stuff I can get into. I am also in school getting my AA and BS in Info systems.

Thanks.

I got a job as an intrusion analyst in a security operations center. It's definitely not entry level, and I'm having to learn fast, but I'm glad to be here. I found CEH valuable for getting past HR filters, but the materia is more like Hacking+ than real ethical hacking. You have to back it up with lab time learning hard skills.
    Currently Studying For: GXPN