Options

how long roughly for cissp? no exp but looking to go grc route.

chickenlicken09chickenlicken09 Member Posts: 537 ■■■■□□□□□□
hello,

i am thinking of starting the cissp journey come january, i currently have the ccna (just passed) and 5 years exp (although not specifically in the security field). On average how long does the cissp take to complete? i am looking to get into the grc field and wondered would geting this cert benefit me? I guess first i will have to see if i qualify to take the exam! i dont think ccna comes as a waiver. Any info much appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Have a read on all the passed post on the site and you will get a rough idea on how to prepare for the CISSP in a way that best suits you. I would suggest you read Shon Harris AIO Cover to Cover. Good luck on your journey.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The CCNA does not qualify as a 1 year experience waiver. I've been studying for around 2 months and I'm starting to feel more prepared for the exam. Below is my study method.

Read chapter of CISSP AIO 6th Edition
    Take corresponding domain test on McGraw-Hill Education | CISSP Practice Exams

After this point is where it got shaky for me and I started to try and consume too much different content. I tried a lot of different things and none were very effective. In the end, I decided I needed to simplify my approach. Whether it is right or wrong, I'm not sure but here's what I'm doing now:

Purchased Transcender practice questions and took a full 250 question exam. (I scored 72% on the exam so I decided that I am not fully prepared)
    Read and take notes on each domain of Eric Conrad's 2E CISSP Study Guide
    Complete the additional 250 quuestion preset exam experiences before test date (3 left)

I'm currently one month out from my exam and I think this method is going to be effective. I've found myself remembering concepts better as I am taking notes on them. I am handwriting notes because I don't find retention as effective when I am typing notes into Word or OneNote. As far as how long it should take you, I don't know. I have the necessary experience for the exam and I will have studied two and a half months by the time I take the exam. Hope this gives you some sort of direction.
  • Options
    thanks for that info, very useful. is there a lot of documentation to submit in order to meet the pre reqs for the exam?
    2.5 months seems very good. how many hours study per day roughly would you do?
  • Options
    Towards the beginning, roughly 4 hours of solid study time. Lately, closer to 2 hours if I'm lucky.
  • Options
    ok, are you working in security already?
  • Options
    Yes, my current title is Security Engineer. I've been doing some sort of security work for around 4-5 years now.
  • Options
    i think i will go with a similar approach, as there are so many it may as well be this one icon_smile.gif