Is it just me?

wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
It may just be me but out of all the certs I've studied for Security+ seem to be one of the hardest. I have a few different books on it the ones I use the most are the Microsoft Security+, and Exam Cram 2 Security+ Practice Questions. Is there anything else I can do to help study for it?

Comments

• fonduefondue Member Posts: 104
    Wastedtime wrote:
    Security+ seem to be one of the hardest

My experiance was the opposite. Security+ was the easiest, banged out the exam in 30 minutes. Kind've funny I just received an offer to attend the exam maintenance workshops for CompTIA Security+ in February as a subject matter expert, not sure how or why CompTIA picked me.
  • OpenSourceOpenSource Member Posts: 135
    I am currently in the process of studying for my Security+ Certification. I am also studying for my Network+ and A+ exams as well. Thus far, I have actually paid more attention to my Security+ book then any other. I personally find it fascinating and to a degree rather simple (though tough to understand at times)...

The only book I have on Security+ is "Mike Myers' Security+ Certification Passport". I am also using his "A+ Certification Passport", and I intend to buy both his "Network+ Certification Passport" and "Server+ Certification Passport" (if note a few others as well). In my opinion, his books are very easy to follow and he puts things into terms I can better understand.

[By the way, I just found this website a few days ago and this is my first post. I have already printed out countless pages on various exams and read through many threads. The information here is top quality. Thank you!]

- Joey
  • TURTLEGIRLTURTLEGIRL Member Posts: 361
    Good luck on your exams. :D
    If you don't know 24 then you don't know Jack!
  • mvastarellimvastarelli Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    OpenSource wrote:
    I am currently in the process of studying for my Security+ Certification. I am also studying for my Network+ and A+ exams as well. Thus far, I have actually paid more attention to my Security+ book then any other. I personally find it fascinating and to a degree rather simple (though tough to understand at times)...

While A+/Network+ aren't pre-requisites for Security+, there's a lot of material that's covered in the Network+ test in detail that crops up in Security+, so hammering out the Network+ first is a very good idea.
    CompTIA Tests: 220-301, 220-302, N10-003, SY0-101
    Microsoft Tests: 70-270, 70-271, 70-272, 70-536, 70-526, 70-502
  • OpenSourceOpenSource Member Posts: 135
    While A+/Network+ aren't pre-requisites for Security+, there's a lot of material that's covered in the Network+ test in detail that crops up in Security+, so hammering out the Network+ first is a very good idea.

Agreed. In fact, I have noticed that myself. It's just that over the past few months I have become very interested in networking and networking security (more so security), so I have been paying alot of attention to the security parts of the Network+ and of course Security+.

Honestly though, I really need to get my A+ hammered out first, and then proceed onto the Network+ and Security+ exams (in that order)...

- Joey
  • peterjwalker77peterjwalker77 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    wastedtime wrote:
    Security+ seem to be one of the hardest. Is there anything else I can do to help study for it?

You got that right. I've be battling with it for the last three months. It's only five domains but the test questions are tricky. The exam really tests your understanding of all around security in a corporate environment.
  • peterjwalker77peterjwalker77 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Oops...Forgot suggestions. So far exam cram seems cool and I here good stuff about MSoft's version as well but don't rely on the Mike Myers series alone. I used it for my A+ exam and passed the first time around but use it for the Security plus wasn't enough. good luck.
  • wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just thought I'd continue on this topic with the fact that I passed with a 812 today. Overall the test was pretty fair but I saw a few questions that were either worded weird or I don't remember reading about. I will say it is the toughest Comptia test I've took so far. The Mike Meyers book I felt wasn't much of a help but the Microsoft Security+ Certification Training Kit was pretty good along with this site and I Googled a few things. I think I will move on to get my MCP with the 70-270 exam.
  • JuddJudd Member Posts: 132
    Would you also say the ExamCram 2 guide was a smart buy for this exam?
  • CezTec2CezTec2 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Out of all the books I used I liked the sybex security+ fast pass the best.
    Victory belongs to the most persevering.
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    As I have been studying for this exam for over a month now I still am finding it to be harder to study than the A+ and Network+... I even am finding it more difficult than the CCNA (although that was 6 years ago).

As far as book go, I found the sybex book to be a solid foundation but lacks on the indepth information. I then read the Mike Meyers Passport book and found that to really be of minimal help... Should have been my first book.

Right now I am on the Syngress book and so far I am seeing that it goes into far more detail than the other 2 books. There seems to be a lot more to take in with the syngress book.

I should be taking this test at the end of the month.... Right now I don't feel ready, it does seem like it will be a hrad test.
  • wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Judd wrote:
    Would you also say the ExamCram 2 guide was a smart buy for this exam?

Well I really used the Microsoft book the most and internet(to include www.techexams.net) as my second source. I mostly browsed the ExamCram and a older Security+ for dummies book I had. Of what I did look out of the ExamCram was decent though.
  • Kevin.SmithKevin.Smith Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm thinking about security+ also but, it seems like the certs are going to get degraded. I stumbled upon the xxxxxxxxx and their all talking about how easy it is and they only studied for 2 days. I don't know man. We could all do the same thing and get every cert in like a year.
    WIP: A+ Essentials
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Duh.... if you read and memorize the actual questions they sell of course you can pass it in 2 days...
    icon_rolleyes.gif