how does NOT having a COMPUTER SCIENCE DEGREE effect me in the long run?

Bchen22Bchen22 Banned Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
So lets say this I have a degree in a Bachelors of Arts in Computer Technology NOT COMPUTER SCIENCE.
How does this affect your job prospects and or earnings?
Many people say it doesn't matter what degree you have as long as its a tech degree and some people also say you wont be as competitive as computer science grads?
what do you guys think?

Comments

• StarkeStarke Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Any company I've worked for or had an interview with really didn't care about this. I have my associates and that's it and if I had nothing I don't think it would have mattered. I live in the north east and work as a senior level consultant making well over six figures. Some combination of experience, certifications and education is all you need. If you're looking to go into consulting being smart AND having personal skills is important. Most people who have IT expertise have terrible people skills. Good luck.
    MCSA: Windows Server 2012 - MCITP (SA, EA, EMA) - CCA (XD4, XD5, XS5, XS6) - VCP 4
  • pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    At the end of the day, it will limit the jobs available to you because many jobs require it. Can you be successful? Absolutely. But the Comp sci makes things a little easier for you by checking those boxes that hiring managers are looking for. This is especially the case with more technical roles and in the security realm. I think it also provides strong foundational skills that help you throughout your IT career as well. But at the end of the day, you can still have a great career with it out. But if you have the choice between the two degrees, i think choosing anything other than comp sci is a poor decision. But if it isnt for you and you like the other program better, than do you. Just my .03 cents.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,081 Admin
    A CS degree is a great thing to have if you want to be a software developer at a large company. In fact, many companies REQUIRE a CS degree when hiring for a programming position. Are you a programmer?
  • Bchen22Bchen22 Banned Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I actually am not a programmer.
    Im concentrated on doing Computer Repair/Desktop Field Support work.
  • John-JohnJohn-John Member Posts: 33 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It seems to have some bearing. I got hired based on the fact that I am enrolled in a software engineering program. They didn't seem to care that much that I had graduated with a degree in Info Systems.
    Goals for 2019: CISSP[x] CCNA-SEC [x] CEH[x]
    Goals for 2020: OSCP [] eCPPT[] eNDP[]
  • Kai123Kai123 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It would open up opportunities, but alot of the Senior engineers where I am have only just experience (and very well paid), some with Bachelors in CS.

I work next to a college so I'm fortunate that I can spend the next 3 years working towards a Back in IT security, while working up experience. Probably the best way to go. Job-wise, of course it helps, and at least if the job-jump comes along, the Bach will probably pay itself off pretty quickly.
  • da_vatoda_vato Member Posts: 445
    Bchen22 wrote: »
    I actually am not a programmer.
    Im concentrated on doing Computer Repair/Desktop Field Support work.

This is where you are now... What do you want to be doing 5 - 10 years from now? or where do you ultimately want to end up, like senior network engineer, InfoSec, CIO, etc... ? Your current job won't require a CS degree obviously but a future job might. Think of the degree you choose as a building block towards your dream job.
  • BerkshireHerdBerkshireHerd Member Posts: 185
    I have a degree in Marketing, and am working my first IT job as Level 2 Desktop, no one else in my team even as a degree so no, it will not hurt you unless you are a doing software.. I work at a 7 billion dollar financial center.
    Identity & Access Manager // B.A - Marshall University 2005
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You'll be fine. I always steer people towards Comp Sci because I do feel it gives you more options. That being said, any technical degree will set you up very well. As JD points out, some places require Comp Sci if you are a programmer, but I am seeing more and more places just say "or related discipline". But seeing as you aren't a programmer and don't appear to be planning to become one your technical degree will get you where you want to go.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • fcp4lifefcp4life Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    You'll be fine. I always steer people towards Comp Sci because I do feel it gives you more options. That being said, any technical degree will set you up very well. As JD points out, some places require Comp Sci if you are a programmer, but I am seeing more and more places just say "or related discipline". But seeing as you aren't a programmer and don't appear to be planning to become one your technical degree will get you where you want to go.

Second this all the jobs at least in my area say this here is an example from a posting i just found - "
    • High school diploma is required, a Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or a related field preferred."