Options

Advice for someone who loves the Computer Repair Field in IT?

Bchen22Bchen22 Banned Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
It seems out of everything in IT I seem to love the Computer repair field. Now I been in IT for a while to realize this but I just wonder how good is staying in the Desktop/Repair field? I know some people would say they hate it because of the end users but at least where I work at its pretty chill and I get to repair some Macs Laptops, and broken Toshiba for end users which I actually LIKE aLOT as well as messing with some servers and firewalls.
How many of you guys like the repair field of IT? and how can I possibly advance? Where I work at I get paid a decent 25 an hour wage for this job. Wondering if I can advance to other job titles or have similar.
My boss says I can advance only as a IT Field Tech Lead if I still want to stay.

Also can some give me similar job titles who like doing this type of work?
Im actually label an IT Field Service Technician but are there more job titles for this kind of work?
Yeah sorry I ask a lot of questions but would appreciate the help and advice.
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think field tech lead is about the ceiling for strictly repair, that might get you $25/hr with a big company. I've seen some entry level it field tech positions with big computer retailers for $18. If you want to stay hardware you could look at cisco resellers, that might include some repair as well. I'm in an it/desktop support role and doing some hardware but it's not repair, mainly swaps and it won't be my primary duty. What things do you enjoy as a repair tech?
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    hurricane1091hurricane1091 Member Posts: 919 ■■■■□□□□□□
    $25 is a lot for that role. Would suggest sticking with them.
  • Options
    Indeed, I read it wrong, thought he was aiming to get to $25. I really doubt you'd make more money elsewhere doing mainly repair unless you were hired as a lead. Getting in with a hardware reseller would probably be a step back to begin with but might have a higher ceiling. It wouldn't be a different environment every day, which might be something you really like.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    I think I get paid 25 an hour cuz I been with the same company for quite some time and have my Bachelors degree in Computer tech
    I also have my certifications in A plus Network Plus Server plus, and Desktop Enterprise Cert.
    I work for a school district a government job.
    So my hours are strictly 730 to 4pm no on call and overtime is optional whenever is asked. However they dont wanna pay me overtime since Im non exempt so its not common.
    The end users here are great not a lot are rude and I like it since i get to touch and get my hands wet with different technologies and PCS I can fix. I also work with a great team and always get thanks yous from my end users.
    Repairing PCs is fun for me since I like working with my hands and tools and problem solving with IT issues .
    I also fix printer issues and clean out a whole bunch of PCS.
    This week I got to replaced a motherboard for a Mac 2009 Desktop so that was pretty fun. May not seem much but I like it. I still do more thou IT support, help the network guys set up a server, fix firewall issues. Image computers. So i think its good for the most part i clean up PCS and repair them.
    I live in Los Angeles by the way
  • Options
    snunez889snunez889 Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would stay where you are at. Government job with most likely great benefits and probably never get fired
  • Options
    I could have used you today to clean up some computers. Spent hours sifting through inches of dust to pull hard drives.

Government around here is well above average pay but the advancement opportunities are terrible. LA CoL is very high and I can see why you want to advance in pay. It sucks to have a passion and the drive to advance but have nowhere to go, at least you are making above average salary for the title. I've been in the same situation in a different field.

If you enjoy doing the support roles you listed there's definitely a high ceiling for those and you are getting some good experience, your certs are relevant and I think you could do well if you have the passion for it.
  • Options
    Actually I dont think the pay is that terrible its reasonable and my way of living isnt that expensive considering what I have even thou its LA i watch what i spend my money on.
    I own a decent economic car and have a wife who makes around what I make almost.
    I ask to see how I can advance in this Field of IT in the Repair Desktop field so to see where I can get to.
    Where I am at I can only advance as a Field Tech Lead and will have a pay increase if that does happen and if i want to continue repairing computers and supporting end users. After that thou I capped out and would have to do something else if i ever wanted more pay.
    Anybody know what an IT Field Tech lead does or like a Desktop Support Lead?
  • Options
    It could vary a bit but leads are typically hire/fire managers of the group, they handle the problems others can't, they are typically less hands on. Think of it as the person that you'd escalate to. Desktop and IT field tech are significantly different from what I've encountered. IT field tech travels around installing and fixing devices. Desktop support resolve issues onsite and do the occasional install. To me it sounds like you are more desktop support which often leads to system or network admin neither have much repair work but still hands-on.

That's good you are living comfortably, I would be at that wage but I'm in a below average CoL area and I don't have a lot of knowledge in LA's CoL other than it's well above average.