When you don't have any workat your job what do you do?

2»

Comments

• KronesKrones Member Posts: 164
    What is this downtime that you speak of? icon_lol.gif

Study / skill progression is almost nil for me while on the job. Too much trench work but trying to force the study time when I can since the trenches will always be there unless I am promoted.
    WGU - Security
    Current: Start date Sept 1. Remaining:
    CUV1, BOV1, CJV1, CVV1, KET1, KFT1, DFV1, TPV1, BNC1, RIT1, DHV1, CSV1, COV1, CQV1, CNV1, SBT1, RGT1 Completed:
    AXV1, CPV1, CTV1 Transferred: AGC1, BBC1, LAE1, QBT1, LUT1, GAC1/HHT1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, BVC1, CLC1, WFV1, DJV1
  • techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks phil and chris, I've begun thinking about improving procedures and especially the network. I took a lot of it home this weekend, looking at endpoint solutions, network monitoring, server migration and network inventory. I have to put these in the back of my mind right now and focus on finishing wsus and the last desktop swaps. I have big ideas, probably not all good and it will require some finances.

What I need to do in the short term is get a very detailed idea of the current servers and roles from the 'just get it to work' sys admin. It's not easy when he only works 8 hours a week. Finding some experienced smb sys admins that have better habits then him and able to answer occasional questions would also be very helpful.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    techfiend wrote: »
    Thanks phil and chris, I've begun thinking about improving procedures and especially the network. I took a lot of it home this weekend, looking at endpoint solutions, network monitoring, server migration and network inventory. I have to put these in the back of my mind right now and focus on finishing wsus and the last desktop swaps. I have big ideas, probably not all good and it will require some finances.

What I need to do in the short term is get a very detailed idea of the current servers and roles from the 'just get it to work' sys admin. It's not easy when he only works 8 hours a week. Finding some experienced smb sys admins that have better habits then him and able to answer occasional questions would also be very helpful.

One of the best lessons I've learned being on the sales side is to sell the idea before trying to get funding and/or execution. This seems blatantly obvious, but so many people try to sell the funding rather than the idea. If you have everyone thoroughly convinced that they "need" something the funding fairy will make the money rain...
  • RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have downtime nearly everyday for hours on end... (which is why I question why I am here) so I either am brushing up for my next Microsoft and/or Cisco exam. Just trying to keep up really.
  • anoeljranoeljr Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
    When I have downtime, I study for school. Once I get school over with then I can start on other things.
  • rcsoar4funrcsoar4fun Member Posts: 103 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What is this downtime you speak of? In general it seems like the harder I work on the to-do list the longer it gets!

I supervise a number of people. In general my rule is if you are not working on something you better be learning something or trying to get better at something. The reason more senior guys are faster at solving issues is, of course, experience. But it also a lot of little things they have learned over the years. Take the network world. When I ask someone how an interface is configured and they type "show run" and space bar down the config it causes me great pain. :)
  • PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Creating and updating documentation, creating network visio diagrams, comb through the network looking for discrepancies and old config that does nothing, study, clean up the computer rooms.

One day I created a web tool for building the base config for our access switches and terminal servers. Just needed a few text boxes for hostname, password, ip add, subnet mask, gateway..., etc, etc. The website looks like it was made in the 90s but it works XD
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA