Other jobs you wanted to do?

CyberscumCyberscum Member Posts: 795 ■■■■■□□□□□
I have been debating something and wonder what your take on it is.

I aspired to be an electrical engineer when I first started college, but never completed my studies and succumbed to the temptation to “just get a degree” philosophy. I have had many years experience in electronics, avionics, telecommunications etc…and they still fascinate me to this day, but I somehow ended up in IT.

My question is this, if you had a dream of working in a specific job or industry and ended up in IT what has prevented you from going back?

I do “kinda”enjoy IT and specifically security, but I work alongside engineers and always think that job would be very rewarding.

At 31 though I feel I might have missed my prime icon_sad.gif

Comments

• moe12moe12 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Never too late
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    My dream since I was in junior high was to be an architect. Well, I though that's what I wanted, but when the time came to make a choice my real calling, what moved me and brought excitement was IT. So no regrets.

Now, if I ever win the lottery big time I would leave IT and do something related to my non-work passions: cars, guns, and beautiful women. That reminds my I haven't played my numbers this week :)
  • dsgmdsgm Member Posts: 228 ■■■□□□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    My dream since I was in junior high was to be an architect. Well, I though that's what I wanted, but when the time came to make a choice my real calling, what moved me and brought excitement was IT. So no regrets.

Now, if I ever win the lottery big time I would leave IT and do something related to my non-work passions: cars, guns, and beautiful women. That reminds my I haven't played my numbers this week :)

Man after my own heart Cars guns,beautiful women and travel if i ever hit the lottery
  • JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I was once a glorified dishwasher at a pretty cool Hotel, I really miss that job even though it was rough and the hours were crazy, i loved the people and it was fun. Would i do it again? No idea, i stopped working there 10 years ago, but i still drop by to say high to the chef who still works there. Nostalgia :).

As moe said, it is never too late, as long as you have your health, you can do pretty much anything.
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
  • CyberscumCyberscum Member Posts: 795 ■■■■■□□□□□
    @Cyber
    Ohhh now winning the lotto is a whole different story ;)

@Just
    I was a dishwasher for literally 3 hours. Went through training and quit on the spot. The manager was like WTF he didn even start working and quit.

I did work integrated avionics and those guys were freakin awesome. Say what they feel, feel what they say and drank like I have never seen! Good times, different group of people indeed.

@Moe
    I hear ya
  • CodyyCodyy Member Posts: 223 ■■■□□□□□□□
    A new car salesman. Hours suck, job as a whole probably sucks, but I just think it's something I'd be good at. Rarely do you find a salesman that knows anything about the vehicles they sell, I do all of my deals via email just to avoid them.

Always wanted to try it, doubt I ever will. =/
  • snunez889snunez889 Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I use to work on cars for a living and I do miss it from time to time. I believe it was the last shop I worked for that did it, I enjoyed my co workers and doing the work. Some of my closest friends I have today came from that industry, wish the money was there. If I ever get burned out from IT I will most likely end up back there.
  • fcp4lifefcp4life Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »

sounds like Dan Bilzerian
  • --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I worked at a niche auto restoration shop, at the time I was an apprentice earning min wage and loving every-single-day of it. He taught me how to work metal over an English wheel, mig, tig, trim metal with shears, fabricate, paint (professionally), run a bridgeport, how to create things from flat metal! It was the most exciting and rewarding work I have ever done.

It paid terrible though, he makes most of his money during the race season being a chief on the Grand Am series for whatever team needs a chief this year. If money suddenly doesn't become an issue for me, I would be knocking on his door the next day seeing if he needs help.

Right before I left I was helping him "prep for paint" his sweet heart car. I stopped in a few years ago to see how he was and it was finally finished after years of collecting parts.

14m3ymx.jpg
  • techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Always wanted and still want to be a basketball coach but never really knew where to start besides becoming a teacher and going from there. I initially chose auto mechanics, which was fine for a few years then it just got old being dirty and doing physical work all the time. Computers were always a passion and luckily knew I wanted to do it before I started college.

It's surprising how many people on this forum used to be involved with auto service, it's kind of a different world.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Ok, so way way back, I thought, as a teenager, it would be awesome to be a photographer for Playboy (Ok, I know a lot of you think that too, lol!). Then I got interested in electronics, joined the Air Force to further do training in that, and they cut the tech school. So I had a few choices - get out, get out and come back when the school was available again, or take a different job. They offered cook (no) tail gunner on B-52 (no) Explosive Ordinance Disposal (NO!) or computer operations. Took the last one, and been hooked ever since.

Still have a keen interest in photography though, and have hooked up with a local group of pin up / vintage models and recently had my first photo published in a magazine! Its not Playboy, but hey, its a start, lol!
  • Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have always had a passion for football/soccer I was planning to start going for trials and trying out for professional teams immediately after completing high school and study graphic designs or 3D animation on the side, I have always wanted to do something on the creative industry and I have to learn and do programming. So in a way, beside soccer everything I wanted to do is in IT.
  • bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Always wanted to be a pilot -- even joined the Air Force to try (naive perhaps there, but anyway). Even now there's a pained sadness to watch a movie scene where a lot of jets fly overhead or something like it.
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • Kai123Kai123 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    People here have great aspirations! I will be gunning for a Bach in IT Security next year. Never in my wildest dreams would I think I would be getting a Bachelors in anything (thought I missed that boat, will be 31 once I finally get it).

Would happily open up a dog shelter once I'm comfortable enough later on in life. If the IT industry died tomorrow, would probably entertain the Legion.
  • Kai123Kai123 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    bermovick wrote: »
    Always wanted to be a pilot -- even joined the Air Force to try (naive perhaps there, but anyway). Even now there's a pained sadness to watch a movie scene where a lot of jets fly overhead or something like it.

I know the feeling. I think if I was born 2 years earlier, I would of been a great programmer by now. I don't have the aptitude for programming, but get very envious of people that code away. My Bach course that starts next year has some coding in it so hopefully might get settle that old feeling then.

Why not take private lessons? I bet even flying a one-seater would fill that void.
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    I want to be a real estate broker and investor. Studied real estate and investing for almost a decade, and got my FL license. Unfortunately I missed the boat as I got married and have three small kids and am the only source of income until my wife finishes school. I am however going to be starting with investing though, and I am planning on retiring from IT when I'm 50 and opening up my own RE brokerage, as well as full blown investing.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    If I could do anything it would be either a professional 3-gun shooter or some form of magazine car tester. Maybe for Motor Trend they seem to get to drive some pretty nice cars. Would have loved to drive the new Z06 and would love to drive the up coming Mustang GT350. Also wouldn't mind driving the McLaren P1.
    If I could do anything it would be either a professional 3-gun shooter or some form of magazine car tester. Maybe for Motor Trend they seem to get to drive some pretty nice cars. Would have loved to drive the new Z06 and would love to drive the up coming Mustang GT350. Also wouldn't mind driving the McLaren P1.

Owwwww looking at your "STI" avitar makes me want to race....That would be an amazing job!

@Snow
    Pro soccer was what I always wanted to do when I was young, played college...but quit there icon_sad.gif

@Bermovick
    I had a friend in the Army that wanted me to do the warrant officer program and fly helo's. I went on a flight with them and to my suprise they did not seem to like it at all. It was more of a pain in thier ass to fly. I though how awesome that would be to fly, but I guess if you do it so much it eventually loses its luster.

@JoeJ
    I have a coworker that has made multi millions in realestate. Even in this market he is doing well. This guy loves making money and loves realestate. He has told me to buy him a bottle and he will tell me the ins and outs....I prob should take him up on that offer...
  • VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    I've always wanted to be a cop (I come from a long line of public servants and military service, so its in my blood). Both of my parents were police officers. I was very close to getting hired on a local department, but they didn't like something from my past. IT has been my "fall back", which may sound weird to some people, but....adventure and variety excites me (probably why I joined the Marines). Now, I'm in a sort of purgatory with fluorescent lights and cubicles. I might try a few big departments again in a couple years when I've got some more maturity under my belt icon_lol.gif and hopefully they will accept me.
    Verities wrote: »
    I've always wanted to be a cop (I come from a long line of public servants and military service, so its in my blood). Both of my parents were police officers. I was very close to getting hired on a local department, but they didn't like something from my past. IT has been my "fall back", which may sound weird to some people, but....adventure and variety excites me (probably why I joined the Marines). Now, I'm in a sort of purgatory with fluorescent lights and cubicles. I might try a few big departments again in a couple years when I've got some more maturity under my belt icon_lol.gif and hopefully they will accept me.

I hear you. I was always active and still to this day I am. Working in IT has been the hardest job for me because of the long hours sitting. Some days I feel like driving to an open field getting out and just sprinting! Every cop/firefighter I know loves their job…would be fun
  • MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I want to try and do something that has a relatively noticeable impact on society. While I'm not really able to do that currently in IT Security, I'm hoping to move into Data Science and/or Machine Learning in the next few years. I can't think of anything else I'd rather do for a career.
  • kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Cyberscum wrote: »
    Owwwww looking at your "STI" avitar makes me want to race....That would be an amazing job!

Ya I miss my STI. I had an 06 a little while ago but sold it to help pay down the wife's $40k Honda Pilot. So now I am currently driving a 95 Honda Civic Del Sol. Its not horrific since I found one with a b16a motor that is all stock with 79k miles. The people lived in AZ and bought it a long time ago so its been a good car. I am really hopping to talk the wife into the new GT350 or maybe a 93 240sx with an LS3 motor swap once the bills are paid. Here's hoping.
    ^^^

Tell me about it, I went from a built 2002 Z28/LS1…to a 2003 350Z Turbo …To a 2005 Honda civic ha ha ha. Needless to say life is slow now
  • markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Law Enforcement. I had applied to several Sheriff's department probably a half dozen times. Every time something crazy happened where I couldn't get the job. First time I got through all of the interviews and all of the testing (in Orange County) so I was pretty much unofficially hired, but they the officer doing the background check enlightened me that my high school was never accredited (I had no clue) and they wouldn't put me on hold to get my GED (which I could get within a week). Got that a week later, got to the last interview, and the day before I got the worst flu I've ever had. I tried rescheduling but they wouldn't do it. So I go to the interview sick as a dog and they of course turn me down saying I was too quiet and didn't answer their questions as in depth as I could have.

I kind of think of incorporating IT into some law enforcement job but seems like the only thing is probably forensics which seems pretty hard to get into.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,570 Mod
    Dance teacher icon_lol.gif

Who knows, if I compete next year and win something I might...money sucks though.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Pilot, Astronaut!, professional traveller, professional diver, tour guide leader, inspirational speaker, state representative, marine biologist...

Not exactly what the OP asked, but a short list of what I have always wanted to do...
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Account Management / CRM / Engagement Manager is end game *** Nothing crazy but aligns with my personality and my goals. Currently a BA transitioning into a management position (no reports) so we shall see.

Dreams, fishing guide, trail guide, professional hiker, anything outdoors and off the grid.
    @UNix guy
    Hell yeah man!

@N2
    You are hardcore...Account management!

I guess money is the main factor in keeping people from doing all this cool stuff...Thats the only reason for me, and its not like I really need it, just nice I guess. I guess the thought of doing what you love, or would really like to do seems crazy ha ha.
    If we could gather all of the minds on techexams and create a product(s) we could all be millionaires!

Or it would be so complicated that no one would understand it....
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Let's start another thread about a product. Then we can vote and move forward. You are project lead Cyberscum!