Options

CCENT failure (2nd attempt)

CleverclogsCleverclogs Member Posts: 95 ■■■□□□□□□□
Today I retook my CCENT exam. I previously attempted this about 5 weeks ago, and came away with a score of just over 600 (Having never attempted a Cisco exam I went in prepared, did well on the subnetting questions but was ambushed by a simulation). 5 weeks later I had another crack at it, and did a LOT better. While I didn't pass, my score was 762. The monster simulation was unleashed at question 50, which I actually preferred. My performance report is as follows:

Operation of IP Data Networks - 100%
LAN Switching Technologies - 64%
IP addressing IPv4 and IPv6 - 83%
IP Routing Technologies - 36%
IP Services - 75%
Network Device Security - 75%
Troubleshooting - 86%

Doesn't take too much to see what I need to brush up on. I'm going to re-book this as soon as I get back to work on the 5th and then blitz it. I will also be investing in some decent simulations, as unfortunately I don't work in a role that gives me access to the real kit. I will be studying every day, including at Christmas. I won't let this result derail me :)

Comments

• Options
    AwesomeGarrettAwesomeGarrett Member Posts: 257
    You're almost there. Keep your chin up! icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    rblockmonrblockmon Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Keep going brother, study hard. Use Quizlet if need be if your struggling...
  • Options
    BerkshireHerdBerkshireHerd Member Posts: 185
    Don't just focus on the routing, if you understand subnetting you should be able to nail 100% on IPV4, that alone may put you over the top. know your show commands!
    Identity & Access Manager // B.A - Marshall University 2005
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Sorry to hear that. I'm only two chapters into Lammle's CCENT book but I'm not going to lie, between this thread and diplomats101's thread, y'all got me sweating over here.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    BerkshireHerdBerkshireHerd Member Posts: 185
    Subnet Subnet Subnet, is the root of all CCENT evil. between subnetting and having a very very good understanding of OSPF you should be fine. I would also make sure you completely understand how frame switching works. Remember switch frames and route packets.
    Identity & Access Manager // B.A - Marshall University 2005
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Keep at it. The simulation stressed me out because I forgot to use the ? a lot. I was trying commands that were not available and it got crazy. Your close so I would focus on labbing and do a quick review of everything.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Took it and got an 801 and needed 804. How do you think I felt? I got pissed beyond all belief and wanted to blow up the testing center. Keep on at it. Purchase some practice exams to test your knowledge. What are you using in regards for practicing the commands (Packet Tracer, Live equipment, or Boson sim software)? Also, what are you using for practice tests (if any). I seem to be an advocate for Paul Browning as his material helped out a great amount and I have been scoring in the 900s on practice exams now. Check out Paul Browning's CCNA in 60 days book. Kindle version for $10 or the actual book for ~$60. Best investment you can make. Did you have questions on ACLs and how were they overall? I have been working on that today with Paul's book and I feel decent with them (plus my networking classes in college). Best of luck man! Best advice for the sim when I had it. When in doubt, use show run. Saved my ass from a worse score.
  • Options
    chopstickschopsticks Member Posts: 389
    All the best for your next attempt! :)
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    Jon_Cisco wrote: »
    Keep at it. The simulation stressed me out because I forgot to use the ? a lot. I was trying commands that were not available and it got crazy. Your close so I would focus on labbing and do a quick review of everything.

Good Luck!

completely agree Jon, I had a problem with my 1st sim I think I devoted 15 minutes to it, and then looked at the time and was like ooo sh*t! ... I need to use commands other than show running-config too, that was interesting and tricky..

Like many have said, need to get more practice on simlets.
  • Options
    Codeman6669Codeman6669 Member Posts: 227
    Kepp going man!
    you will get it

check ciscos exam sections to be sure your studing the right stuff, and LAB lab lab