Options

GNS3 ccna route/switch help

WhistlestopWhistlestop Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have been using version 0.8.6 of GNS3 and its been good. I dont have my own equipment. Also been doing the old labs from gns3vault and even doing some ccnp ones to practice.

Is it worth the upgrade to the new 1.2.1 version of gns3? can switching be done in it? i.e.vlans, vtp, span-tree, etherchannel?
any advise on how to set this up.

anyone also know whether files from version GNS3 0.8.6 will work with the new version?

thanks

Comments

• Options
    GngoghGngogh Member Posts: 165 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You should update to the new version if you want to practice some switching. you can run IOU images on GNS3 IOU VM. which r good for switching.

Read here why you should update.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/104923-gns3-switching.html#post890292
  • Options
    bharvey92bharvey92 Member Posts: 419
    Gngogh wrote: »
    You should update to the new version if you want to practice some switching. you can run IOU images on GNS3 IOU VM. which r good for switching.

Read here why you should update.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/104923-gns3-switching.html#post890292

GNS3 isn't particular great for Switching, use Packet Tracer or get some cheap 2950's for the CCNA.
    2018 Goal: CCIE Written [ ]
  • Options
    WhistlestopWhistlestop Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks for the replies. I have used the NM-16SW module in the Cisco 3700 series routers to do some basic things like ethernet channel and STP. Also can run HSRp, GLBP etc which can be run on routers too.
    I think I may buy a couple of 3950s as was considering this a good investment for the future.
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    bharvey92 wrote: »
    GNS3 isn't particular great for Switching, use Packet Tracer or get some cheap 2950's for the CCNA.

Have you tried the new GNS3 using IOU for switching? I have only set it up not used it much but I was able to create switches and load them ok. Your advice sounds like you have not successfully installed the news GNS3 that was released this year.

Can you let us know some of the problems with the new version.

thanks,
    Jon
  • Options
    I did get the new install of GNS3 setup, just didn't bother spending the time setting up IOU for switching. Rather get stuck into some physical labbing and Packet Tracer. Packet Tracer by the way actually has all the capabilities (HSRP, EtherChannel, Port-Security, L3 Switching etc) that are needed for the CCNP Switch exam.
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I am a big fan of packet tracer and you will see I recommend it often. I also have a full lab since I like real equipment.

I think that the new GNS3 has removed some of the limitations that might have lead to your first post indicating GNS3 is not very good at switching.
  • Options
    I've heard it has removed some limitations, but IMO compared to configuring routing in GNS3 it's fairly poor and I find other methods of configuring switching better (which is a shame, because I am a big fan of GNS3).