Options

Is this CCNA in security worth-while?

hurricane1091hurricane1091 Member Posts: 919 ■■■■□□□□□□
Long story short, I recently passed my CCNA R+S. I can tell ICND1 knowledge is "fuzzy"since I never use it at my job and while INCD2 knowledge is still fresh, I was thinking about banging out the CCNA in security in a month before I go for my MCSA. I think it's a decent idea and next year I still want to get the VCP5-DC and MCSA Server 2012 but I'm not sure. On one hand I turn 24 next year and will be able to say I know about security, servers, networking, and virtualization. On the other, that's going to be a lot of knowledge and maybe I should focus somewhere. Feedback?

Comments

• Options
    ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    I'm going through it right now with the Chris Bryant videos, and though it doesn't really apply to my job as I work more with ASA's than routers, it is a very good refresher course on best practices and explaining what all those security related acronyms. I had no idea what TACACS+ was before a week ago, and found it's just a Cisco proprietary RADIUS server.

So unless you desperately need to learn a topic for your job, I'd say it's worth going through.
  • Options
    ande0255 wrote: »
    I'm going through it right now with the Chris Bryant videos, and though it doesn't really apply to my job as I work more with ASA's than routers, it is a very good refresher course on best practices and explaining what all those security related acronyms. I had no idea what TACACS+ was before a week ago, and found it's just a Cisco proprietary RADIUS server.

So unless you desperately need to learn a topic for your job, I'd say it's worth going through.

Okay. I work as a desktop support person with some Jr. Sys Admin functions, so I probably won't get much benefit at work out of either CCNA. That's okay though. If I can get the CCNA:S in less than a month I won't feel too bad, I just do not want to waste time from getting the MCSA.

Let it be known that realistically I plan to get a new job next year and I'm trying to generalize in major areas (Networking, Security, Servers, and Virtualization) to open doors to Jr. Networking/Systems/Security admin roles (I enjoy all of these areas) and then hopefully specialize somewhere. Just trying to make myself very hireable.
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I am doing it for WGU, but I'm not sure I'd pursue it otherwise. If someone was going for a CCIE in security then obviously it's a must but I'm not headed in that direction and it sounds like you aren't either.

I've studied for about a month and I'm taking it tomorrow, so assuming I pass, it didn't take me much time. Not a bad cert by any means and you're smart to wait until after you got your CCNA, but I don't see it as a must have either if you're not going down the Cisco security route.
  • Options
    markulous wrote: »
    I am doing it for WGU, but I'm not sure I'd pursue it otherwise. If someone was going for a CCIE in security then obviously it's a must but I'm not headed in that direction and it sounds like you aren't either.

I've studied for about a month and I'm taking it tomorrow, so assuming I pass, it didn't take me much time. Not a bad cert by any means and you're smart to wait until after you got your CCNA, but I don't see it as a must have either if you're not going down the Cisco security route.

How was it? I see you passed which is good. I'm sure it's not necessary, but I figure it would be good to say I am proficient in networking and network security (which leaves servers and virtualization left, VoIP maybe).

Basically, I kicked the tires on a job listing for a Jr. Network Engineer and they called me for initial screening. My thought process over here is that even if I do not get an interview with them, the fact that I got called from one sporadic job application sounds promising. I feel as if I got the CCNA in Security as well that I could definitely find something. I'm not active-active in my job pursuit, I'm more passively-active. Thoughts?
  • Options
    Honestly, if you feel you've mastered CCNA: R&S, I don't see the CCNA: Security as another big feather in your cap if you're not pursuing the Security tree. If you see jobs you want that require it though then it definitely doesn't hurt. I did learn a few things but not nearly as much as I did with the ICND1 and 2. Having a good understanding of CCNA: R&S should give you a good understanding of the security.

It's ultimately up to you and what your goals are. It's not a bad cert by any means and I'm not comparing it to the CIW cert I have or anything, but in my opinion it doesn't offer a lot to my knowledge-base and skill set.
  • Options
    I understand what you're saying. You're probably right on all accounts. I have never used a firewall before despite understanding the general idea of how it works and the ICND2 talked about ACLs a bit but I guess going further in depth wouldn't hurt.

I guess I'm just looking for a way to compensate for my lack of experience. I was originally planning on taking a break until the new year but I feel like I could bang out the videos before then and then study for a week or two and go take it. That's my only reasoning behind it. I definitely don't want to get into something that will take months.

PS: I don't feel like I've mastered the CCNA because CCENT concepts became fuzzy from time-off. Like I could tell you what a trunk and a lot about it, and you need dot1q encapsulation on a trunk port and the Ethernet port on the router will be configured with sub-interfaces, but I would struggle to remember how to configure it. Of course, this probably won't help me much for that lol.
  • Options
    Mastering the basics and fundamentals of routing and switching is the key to everything. At that point all you really need is to apply security fundamentals to it. I'd recommend the Security+ as that is vendor neutral and goes more into security principles than the CCNA Security.
  • Options
    DoyenDoyen Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You would really have to evaluate a career plan of around 1 to 2 years. You need to decide where you would like to work and what you have an interest in. Afterwards, adjust your certifications accordingly. Don't waste study time and funds on a certification that isn't in tune with your future goals. If you don't have an interests in network security, then CCNA security isn't for you.

As of for example, I passed my CCNA Security today because my career path is network security. I wouldn't aim for CCDA or Java certs since that is deviating from my career path. Only you know what you have an interest in and that should tell you what cert path your should strive for.
    Goals for 2016: [] VCP 5.5: ICM (recertifying) , [ ] VMware VCA-NV, [ ] 640-911 DCICN, [ ] 640-916 DCICT, [ ] CCNA: Data Center, [ ] CISSP (Associate), [ ] 300-101 ROUTE, [ ] 300-115 SWITCH, [ ] 300-135 TSHOOT, [ ] CCNP: Route & Switch, [ ] CEHv8, [ ] LX0-103, [ ] LX0-104
    Future Goals: WGU MSISA or Capital Technology Univerisity MSCIS Degree Program
    Click here to connect with me on LinkedIn! Just mention your are from Techexams.net.
  • Options
    markulous wrote: »
    Mastering the basics and fundamentals of routing and switching is the key to everything. At that point all you really need is to apply security fundamentals to it. I'd recommend the Security+ as that is vendor neutral and goes more into security principles than the CCNA Security.

I wish I had a job doing it so I could master it. I applied for a few last night. I originally did not plan on leaving my job but for a pay raise/opportunity to put the CCNA to use in the real world is just really tempting.

And honestly this is probably crazy, but I would be a VMware/Windows Server/Cisco/Security guy. I honestly have interest in all areas. Obviously I'm most qualified in Cisco and least qualified in VMware (have taken Server class in college and use it at work) but I'm on the waiting list for the VMware class and also have plans to get the MCSA. Maybe I'm just over ambitious, I don't know. I guess in my mind I see me forgetting the CCNA stuff and never getting a chance to do it and see if it's really what I want to do, and the CCNA security is just a way to stay in the game a bit while I try to get a job doing it before moving on.

Thanks for the input.
  • Options
    KrusaderKrusader Member Posts: 109
    I passed it yesterday. It was a handy exam to take. Even if you are not looking for a career in Security, it is still a good exam to take.

You'll learn the fundamentals about

AAA
    Firewalls
    ACLs
    VPNs
    & IPSs

which every Networking guy should have in their locker
    2018 Goals
    AWS & Linux Knowledge
  • Options
    DoyenDoyen Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Krusader wrote: »
    I passed it yesterday. It was a handy exam to take. Even if you are not looking for a career in Security, it is still a good exam to take.

You'll learn the fundamentals about

AAA
    Firewalls
    ACLs
    VPNs
    & IPSs

which every Networking guy should have in their locker

Congratulations on the pass Krusadericon_thumright.gifI agree with your statement that those in the networking field should know those fundamentals.
    Goals for 2016: [] VCP 5.5: ICM (recertifying) , [ ] VMware VCA-NV, [ ] 640-911 DCICN, [ ] 640-916 DCICT, [ ] CCNA: Data Center, [ ] CISSP (Associate), [ ] 300-101 ROUTE, [ ] 300-115 SWITCH, [ ] 300-135 TSHOOT, [ ] CCNP: Route & Switch, [ ] CEHv8, [ ] LX0-103, [ ] LX0-104
    Future Goals: WGU MSISA or Capital Technology Univerisity MSCIS Degree Program
    Click here to connect with me on LinkedIn! Just mention your are from Techexams.net.