Options

Half Way There...Passed ICND1 today!

CCIE Wanna BeCCIE Wanna Be Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
Early present to myself, passed ICND1 today with a 973, I studied pretty heavily for about 6 weeks straight. I do not have a background in networking but I do touch on some networking task at my work, but nothing equipment related.

Study Materials:
  • Cisco Press Official Certification Guide
  • Chris Bryant’s CCNA Boot Camp Videos
  • Boson NetSim 10
  • Boson ExMax Test
Word of Advice:
  • Make a study plan, set a date, and stick with it
  • Practice, Practice, Practice, and then Practice some more
  • Did I mention Practice?
  • Doesn't matter what practice test you use, but take several to get a feel (Boson are the most realistic, but way more detailed than what is expected for you to know on the exam (IMHO))
  • Use this forum to your advantage, I did!
Test Tips:
  • Know subnetting as if your life depended on it
  • Any and all show commands are your friend
  • Know OSPF and its configuration
  • NFLB everything (Network Address, First Address, Last Address, Broadcast Address), thanks “Byronicbluez”, great tip!
  • Pace yourself and don’t rush, some questions are harder than others, so time really does end up balancing out.

Let me know if I can help with anything else (be mindful of the NDA). I have week-long break over the Christmas and New Year’s holiday that I plan to enjoy (with a little less stress now), then back to it for ICND2.
In Progress:
WGU B.S. - I.T. - Security (and all the certs that come with it)

Comments

• Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Congrats on the pass and thanks for the tips! I'm two chapters in to CCENT study and will use your advice. I'm using Lammle's book, and I also have the Chris Bryant videos I will follow up with. I will definitely be checking out Boson when I get through those items.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    MitechniqMitechniq Member Posts: 286 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    Congrats on the pass and thanks for the tips! I'm two chapters in to CCENT study and will use your advice. I'm using Lammle's book, and I also have the Chris Bryant videos I will follow up with. I will definitely be checking out Boson when I get through those items.

Another tip I tried is to (best you can) correlate the CB videos to the corresponding chapter/topic in the book (whichever one you are using). Reading the chapter(s) and watching the video(s) that were related seemed to help reinforce the subject matter being learned.
    In Progress:
  • Options
    H3||scr3amH3||scr3am Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    congrats on passing :D
  • Options
    Chev ChelliosChev Chellios Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass and thanks for the tips. Planning to go down the Cisco route next year icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass and nice score! icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    DoyenDoyen Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats icon_thumright.gif Closer and closer you are towards your goal of CCIE icon_cheers.gif Also, great test tips!
    Goals for 2016: [] VCP 5.5: ICM (recertifying) , [ ] VMware VCA-NV, [ ] 640-911 DCICN, [ ] 640-916 DCICT, [ ] CCNA: Data Center, [ ] CISSP (Associate), [ ] 300-101 ROUTE, [ ] 300-115 SWITCH, [ ] 300-135 TSHOOT, [ ] CCNP: Route & Switch, [ ] CEHv8, [ ] LX0-103, [ ] LX0-104
    Future Goals: WGU MSISA or Capital Technology Univerisity MSCIS Degree Program
    Click here to connect with me on LinkedIn! Just mention your are from Techexams.net.
  • Options
    tuleeohtuleeoh Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratz man!! Good luck with ICND2.
  • Options
    Thanks guys/gals, a little rest for the weary mind, but ICND2 start promptly after X-mas!
    In Progress:
  • Options
    insertanamehereornotinsertanamehereornot Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on passing the exam! I made notes of your suggestions. Thank you for that. I'm currently getting ready to take ICND1 here in a couple weeks.
  • Options
    Switch1Switch1 Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations @CCIE Wanna Be. Hopefully will be joining you in a few months. Just finished Part II of Wendell's book and am fairly comfortable with subnetting. Your tips are much appreciated :D
    Currently Reading :study:
    100-101 ICND1 Official Cert Guide
    CCNA in 60 Days
    CCENT Study Guide Exam 100-101

OSPF: Anatomy of an Internet Routing Protocol

• Options
    siggnationsiggnation Member Posts: 182
    Congrats buddy. I am also choosing the CCENT --> CCNA route. Thank you for the tips and best of luck on the ICND2.
    Currently Reading:

CCIE Routing and Switching Written Exam v. 5.1
    CCIE Routing and Switching 5.0 OCG, Vol. I
    Cisco Lan Switching
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!! icon_cheers.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    crazboy84crazboy84 Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You mention OSPF, my understanding is that OSPF is on ICND 2.
  • Options
    crazboy84 wrote: »
    You mention OSPF, my understanding is that OSPF is on ICND 2.

It's a topic for INCD1 as well, it covers single area OSPF for IPv4 and IPv6
    In Progress: