Options

WGU: Enrollment Counselor?

ira.aira.a Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
I just spoke to one of the enrollment counselors about going for the Master's in Info Sec, and they told me that:
Demonstrate IT security experience through at least one of the following three methods:

Is incorrect, and that it's supposed to say you HAVE to have Bachelor's in IT.

The person I spoke to seemed to be reading off a script and didn't really know a whole lot about what they were talking about, and the responses I got to my http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/105947-wgu.html post lead me to believe that meeting one of the requirements (like having the GIAC cert) or 3+ Info Sec experience would suffice. When I mentioned that I'd been told by past alumni that they didn't have a Bachelor's in IT, but had done the program, she caved and admitted that they have let people in the past into the program without Bachelor's in IT, but that was on a case-by-case basis.

Has anyone else gotten this from an enrollment counselor? Are they right? I just don't want to waste time pursuing certs because while I like the GIAC cert, it'd be coming out of my own pocket, and I'm working full-time, so I'd be studying around my work hours.

Comments

• Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ira.a wrote: »
    The person I spoke to seemed to be reading off a script and didn't really know a whole lot about what they were talking about

This is the problem with a lot of the enrollment counselors at WGU. I'd just call back and try someone else, too many people, myself included, were steered the wrong way but an incorrect EC then worked through it and enjoyed everything after that.
  • Options
    ira.aira.a Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Is there anybody you recommend? Or is there a high amount of turnover in that dept?
  • Options
    CodyyCodyy Member Posts: 223 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Use x4930 and ask for Danny T-H. I enrolled over a year and a half ago so idk if he's still there, but if so he'll take care of you. Guy's a straight shooter though, you won't get any sugar coating.