Options

Question on 98 upgrade to XP

LERXSTLERXST Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
What is the correct way to upgrade from 98 to XP and maintain user settings other than scanstate/loadstate?

Comments

• Options
    seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    Please forgive me if this does not answer your question, i just started my 70-270 studies last night.

But when upgrading to xp from 98 you should be able to do an Express upgrade which will keep all current settings, and directory structure, and then if you were unpleased with something you are able to revert back to windows 98 as long as you did not change the file system over to NTFS.
  • Options
    ebkrantzebkrantz Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The correct way to upgrade to windows xp is to stick the disc in the drive and click express upgrade when the screen pops up. You should upgrade the file system to ntfs, unless you have a good reason not to.
  • Options
    Ok, Express Upgrade is not an option either.....
  • Options
    jescabjescab Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,321
    You should check the HCL first to make sure that everything is compatible.

Insert XP cd and click on compatibility check.
    GO STEELERS GO - STEELERS RULE
  • Options
    Silver BulletSilver Bullet Member Posts: 676 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You will be better off just doing a fresh install. You will likely have a buggy OS upgrading from 98 to XP.
  • Options
    jescabjescab Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,321
    I agree with silver but only do the clean install after you checked the HCL.
    GO STEELERS GO - STEELERS RULE
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    Agreed. If you can verify the HCL is good, do a clean install. Upgrades usually suck.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    Granted upgrades suck but this scenario requires ensuring user profile is preserved during an upgrade from 98 to XP. Scanstate/loadstate,Express upgrade are not an options, but redirecting and renaming folders are.

Thoughts?
  • Options
    ebkrantzebkrantz Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You should be able to upgrade the system with putting the cd in the drive. You can also updgrade from the network, if this scenrio lets you. You can also use the file and settings transfer wizard or the USMT, these will transfer settings and what not, but this route is not an upgrade. But if your going from 98 to xp, always check the HCL, and make sure you have updates for the programs. You might want to check this website http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/getstarted/installquick.mspx