Workstation 11 problem

brownwrapbrownwrap Member Posts: 549
I have a personal laptop I use at work. We are not allowed to connect to the network, but we can connect to the wireless. When I bring up the wireless connections, I see the one I want, select it, and connect. That brings up a web page, I log in and I'm on. So a while back I installed VM Workstation 10, brought up Debian, selected 'bridged', and after installation, I was able to open a browser to the outside world. I then purchased Workstation 11 and brought up Debian. I can no longer browse from Debian. It says the 'wired connection' is disconnected. I know I never really had a wired connection, but Debian thought it did.

Not sure where to begin to troubleshoot this.

Comments

• cbigbrickcbigbrick Member Posts: 284
    Take a look at this thread............

https://communities.vmware.com/message/2428647?tstart=0
    And in conclusion your point was.....???

Don't get so upset...it's just ones and zeros.
  • brownwrapbrownwrap Member Posts: 549
    Does the link require a login? It didn't come up for me.
  • idevuseridevuser Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    In Workstation, Click Edit and then select Virtual Network Editor, see your wireless devices is selected in "Bridge to" settings.
    And make sure you have selected the right "vmnet" in network connection for network adapter in virtual machine settings.
    I have several virtual machines on this laptop. One is a CentOS based machine and it works fine. I am able to bring it up and surf the internet. The Debian machine seems to have the same settings, but obviously something is different since it isn't working.
  • idevuseridevuser Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    In this situation I would suggest you:
    First reboot network service and then ping other host/gateway first and if it pings then ping google, But if this does not resolve your issue then remove the current vm network adapter and rebuild your vm network adapter with right "vmnet" for debian os and reboot debian os and then ping other host first/gateway and if it pings then ping google, and if you still have same issue then install a new debian os in a new vm and see if you can surf net on it or not...
    This was not a Workstation 11 problem, it was an operator problem. I am almost certain this worked the last time I used it, but I looked at the laptop's settings and duplicated the laptop's DNS IPs and it started working.