Options

WGU BS I.T. - Security Degree questions

ionlyplaymordeionlyplaymorde Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I just applied for the WGU BS I.T. - Security Degree. Hopefully I get admitted. I have a few questions for people who are current or former students of WGU.

1) Do you have to attempt/pass the courses in a certain order? I want to knock out the A+ and CCENT right off the bat.
2) How easy are the G.E. required courses and what is the procedure for the proctored exams?
3) Do you think I can get it done in 2 years time, if I study for 3-4 hours a day? At the moment I have zero certifications.
4) Do you get access to Cisco goodies like Packet Tracer while studying for Cisco certifications.

Comments

• Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm at the tail end of this degree at WGU so I'll try to answer these the best I can.

1. From what my mentor has told me, you cannot schedule Cisco certs for your first term. In other words, you can schedule the A+ and other classes for your first term and only until after you complete those can you jump into Cisco courses (regardless of which term you are in). They may want to put you in easier courses to get credits banged out quick, but ultimately it's up to you to decide.

2. I've only done one and I just started my second one today. They don't seem very difficult. They have low passing scores and it's easy subjects.

3. So you have zero college credits and no certs? You can definitely do it in 2 years if you can study 4 hours a day and can learn quickly.

4. No Packet Tracer access unfortunately. Good books are given to you though. So if you can get Packet Tracer somewhere else, WGU gives you everything else.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    1. I took all the Cisco classes in my first term, the only thing they told me you should do in any order is your capstone project at/near the end.

2. Most of mine were transferred in, I had a few businesses courses to take, I was a business major before, they seemed pretty easy but I had past experience and work experience to lean on.

3. Can I learn to fly a plane in 16 weeks? I have no idea what you are capable of. Is it possible? Sure, very possible, but there are a million questions that only you can answer that will determine if you can do it or not.

4. markulous covered this, if you want you can find packet tracer, otherwise there is plenty to use and GNS is free.
  • Options
    OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I will second on both markulous and Daniel's statements. They are flexible and 2 years is realistic, but it's case by case depending on your learning capabilities
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
  • Options
    Danielm7 wrote: »
    1. I took all the Cisco classes in my first term, the only thing they told me you should do in any order is your capstone project at/near the end.

My mentor tried saying it was against their policy to unlock those courses until I completed the courses outlined in my first term. Either it's changed or he was misinformed. I wouldn't have taken them anyway though since I wanted to take the N+ first.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Well, that is different than not being allowed in your first term. By that I mean I finished the first 12 CUs I added fairly quickly, then I did the Cisco classes after that, but in my first term.
  • Options
    Ah gotcha, I misunderstood. I was attempting to say the same thing but may have worded it strange.
  • Options
    ionlyplaymordeionlyplaymorde Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thx for all the responses. I am 1 classes shy of finishing my associates but i already sent WGU my official transcript hopefully they grant me admission and accept the G.E. classes as transferable units.