Options

Will this processor be good enough to run at least 4-5 vms?

gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
I have this motherboard and only want to upgrade the CPU
AMD A10-5800K Desktop APU (CPU + GPU) Trinity Quad-Core 3.8GHz (4.2GHz Turbo) Socket FM2 100W with DirectX 11 Graphic AMD Radeon HD 7660D AD580KWOHJBOX - Newegg.com

I am looking at getting this CPU AMD A10-5800K Desktop APU (CPU + GPU) Trinity Quad-Core 3.8GHz (4.2GHz Turbo) Socket FM2 100W with DirectX 11 Graphic AMD Radeon HD 7660D AD580KWOHJBOX - Newegg.com

Should that CPU be enough to be able to do lab work on my 1 pc via vmware? I'll need it for at least two esxi hosts and two guests and the vcenter server running ubuntu or win server 2008r2

I already have about 16gb of ram so I should be ok in that department... the only thing i might do it get two SSD drives and put them in a raid but not sure if i want to spend money on that yet

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Both links point to the CPU. I never keep up with AMD processors but CPU is rarely the contention point in a lab. What CPU do you have right now? Why do you want to upgrade? It doesn't support virtualization?
  • Options
    Sorry, here it is

AMD A10-5800K Desktop APU (CPU + GPU) Trinity Quad-Core 3.8GHz (4.2GHz Turbo) Socket FM2 100W with DirectX 11 Graphic AMD Radeon HD 7660D AD580KWOHJBOX - Newegg.com I have a motherboard that is only AMD and only want to upgrade the CPU, my CPU maxes out when i'm installing an operating system while another is loading

I currently have a single core A6-5400k 3.6GHz AMD CPU, it supports virtualization, but its not very fast at supporting more then two
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    A quad-core CPU is good, especially if it has hyperthreading.

BUT--how are you going to be running virtualization? That is, is your base OS a hypervisor? Or are you using a Type 2 such as VMware Workstation?

I was running into RAM issues (my desktop has 16gb) between my host OS (Windows 7) and ESXi nested in Workstation so to be honest...you might run into a RAM bottleneck before you see issues with the CPU.
  • Options
    lsud00d wrote: »
    A quad-core CPU is good, especially if it has hyperthreading.

BUT--how are you going to be running virtualization? That is, is your base OS a hypervisor? Or are you using a Type 2 such as VMware Workstation?

I was running into RAM issues (my desktop has 16gb) between my host OS (Windows 7) and ESXi nested in Workstation so to be honest...you might run into a RAM bottleneck before you see issues with the CPU.

yes vmware workstation for now for practice, eventually i'd like to get two white boxes and a nas, but for now all through workstation
  • Options
    XavorXavor Member Posts: 161
    I wouldn't worry about the SSDs for a simple lab. Moving to a Quad-core will help the most in the short term. I don't know enough about AMD systems to offer any other advice, but there are several websites that list AMD-based whiteboxes.