Options

Christmas present to myself: New job!

lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
I'll be leaving my contractor/consultant JOAT/insta-SME spot for a role in a top Fortune company in a mixed infrastructure & security position. It's really exciting to have such a large effect on business and is in-line with my plans to dive further into security because as we IT professionals have known for some time, and how the public is finally starting to become aware...security is very,very important.

The past few years with my company have been great...I left a Help Desk spot (first job) to become a Linux sys admin, then quickly moved further up the chain to become a senior infrastructure engineer. All things considered I'll have tripled my pay in several years and with our low COL down here the money goes pretty far.

Also...I got this job via networking. Always build up your network and contacts because it will pay off one day. This comes up a lot on the forums but it can't be understated. If you do good work, people will recognize that and call on you when they need your expertise, drive, and passion.

Merry Christmas and happy holidays everyone, I'll be cheers'in tonight, that's forsure icon_cheers.gif

Comments

• Options
    XavorXavor Member Posts: 161
    Congrats! Was the interview question "Why is security important?" and did you answer "Ask Sony?".
  • Options
    Xavor wrote: »
    Congrats! Was the interview question "Why is security important?" and did you answer "Ask Sony?".

Lol! There's so many things about Sony, I'm not even going to go there icon_wink.gif

Also thanks!
  • Options
    coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congratulations!!
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
  • Options
    bryanthetechiebryanthetechie Member Posts: 172
    Very nice... congrats!
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
  • Options
    Thanks y'all!

In the meantime, @coffeeluvr gimme your RHCE and @cyberguypr gimme your CISSP :D

Just kidding (maybe icon_wink.gif). I think this new job will refocus my 2015 cert goals...CISSP might be more prominent in my radar than before.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Sorry, I kind of like my CISSP. I will GLADLY give you my CEH and CHFI. I am sure if Colemic stops by he will also done his EC-Council stuff icon_smile.gif
  • Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    Congrats! South represent!
  • Options
    @cyberguypr, you and Colemic can keep your EC-Council certs! lol.

Thanks @darkerosxx! Are you pulling for any of the teams in the abysmal NFC South?

I hope everyone is having great holidays. I've never switched jobs at this point in the calendar year so it's weird putting in 2 weeks but it ends up being like 1.5...oh well, I'm not complaining :)
  • Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    Man, the only teams I root for are LSU and the Saints. I'm not a big sports fan, so outside of those two teams it's whatever team I need to do well to win fantasy football. :)

You?
  • Options
    CyberscumCyberscum Member Posts: 795 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congratz! What flavor of security?
  • Options
    ExpectExpect Member Posts: 252 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats, sounds like you had an amazing progress ! :) and you can have my RHCE and CISSP if you like :p
  • Options
    @darkerosxx then we're on the same page, looking forward to changes for both teams next year...this year hurt, a lot icon_sad.gif

@Cyberscum it's focused on vulnerability management and remediation. It's a great foot-in-the-door opportunity and will be working on the global scale.

@Expect, thank you! Honestly I would LOVE to have both RHCE and CISSP, I'm jealous of anyone who has those certs. I might shoot for CISSP this year and unfortunately I don't think I'll ever get back to a pure-linux role so RHCSA/RHCE is no longer advantageous to pursue, even for fun. BUT my *nix skills will help going forward, especially if I want to go for something like the OCSP or something of that nature.
  • Options
    ExpectExpect Member Posts: 252 ■■■■□□□□□□
    lsud00d wrote: »
    @Expect, thank you! Honestly I would LOVE to have both RHCE and CISSP, I'm jealous of anyone who has those certs. I might shoot for CISSP this year and unfortunately I don't think I'll ever get back to a pure-linux role so RHCSA/RHCE is no longer advantageous to pursue, even for fun. BUT my *nix skills will help going forward, especially if I want to go for something like the OCSP or something of that nature.

Yep, Security in general involves plenty of Linux so it's always an advantage to be (also) a Linux expert.

if you pick the offensive security way, you will find yourself needing to build your own set of tools, this is where Bash and Python will come in handy for you.

but I totally agree, you don't need RHCE for that.
  • Options
    Mr. MeeseeksMr. Meeseeks Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Very interested in how you wrapped this gift. I would like to give myself the same thing icon_cheers.gif