Options

Vmware certification track reco

dtdellboydtdellboy Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey all,
I completed my VCP-3 cert in 2007 and never bothered to re certify as i was totally in to networking right after i got certified. I recently got an email from Vmware saying that they going to expire my certification in March 2015. Now i wanted to keep my VCP and maybe look more in to their new network virtualization tracks as i see more and more people move to SDN from legacy networking. From what i can tell my options are taking VCP5-DCV, VCP-cloud or VCP-Network virtualization. I am wondering if anyone has any input with respect to the compkexcity and skills demand for above three options. Also do i have to take official classes for recert ? I am assuming the VCP-Network virtualization is based on the Nicera products ? Also would love to hear how hard to setup a home/mini lab for these 3 options ?

Comments

• Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    dtdellboy wrote: »
    Hey all,
    I completed my VCP-3 cert in 2007 and never bothered to re certify as i was totally in to networking right after i got certified. I recently got an email from Vmware saying that they going to expire my certification in March 2015. Now i wanted to keep my VCP and maybe look more in to their new network virtualization tracks as i see more and more people move to SDN from legacy networking. From what i can tell my options are taking VCP5-DCV, VCP-cloud or VCP-Network virtualization. I am wondering if anyone has any input with respect to the compkexcity and skills demand for above three options. Also do i have to take official classes for recert ? I am assuming the VCP-Network virtualization is based on the Nicera products ? Also would love to hear how hard to setup a home/mini lab for these 3 options ?

Well considering I personally just took the VCP5-DCV exam and failed it by 5 points and having studied for it for nearly 3 months I can say it's pretty hard. Some of the questions made you really think, but I basically just followed the blueprints. I've scheduled the next test for next week since 5 points is nothing but I would get a VMware Academy sponsored book off Amazon and glaze over the areas you think you need to cover and go from there.

Looking back on the exam it wasn't dreadfully hard, the stress is what killed me not knowing what to expect with that being said cover the blueprint to a the letter and lab all of them and look very closely at each section. Let just say I was shocked by the degree of detail in some of the questions on the exam like for each column and such...

Best of luck to you!
  • Options
    scott28ttscott28tt Member Posts: 686 ■■■■■□□□□□
    The simplest option is to take the VCP510 or VCP550 exam to achieve VCP5-DCV. You don't need to take any official training. This is assuming you beat your March recertification deadline.

VCP-NV is indeed based on NSX.
    VCP2 / VCP3 / VCP4 / VCP5 / VCAP4-DCA / VCI / vExpert 2010-2012
    Blog - http://vmwaretraining.blogspot.com
    Twitter - http://twitter.com/vmtraining
    Email - vmtraining.blog@gmail.com