Options

IOS Upgrade/Module Question

Nafe92014Nafe92014 Member Posts: 279 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi everyone. I trust you all had a good holiday. I have 2 quick questions in regards to my lab kit i just got for a present.

1. how would I go about upgrading to the latest IOS version? Current version is 12.4

2. What serial module would you recommend for my routers? I am hoping to do some DCE/DTE configurations.

My lab consists of 2x 2960 Switches and 2x 2811 Routers (see photo below)

Any help is appreciated. :)
Certification Goals 2020: CCNA, Security+

"You have enemies? Good, that means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." ~Winston S. Churchill

Comments

• Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I used the wic2t smart serial and a DCE to DTE crossover cable that they make for labs.

As to the upgrading the IOS you should be able to find a lab on that. Do a quick search on google and you should get the information you need. If I were you I would not upgrade anything yet. Try it out see what differences you notice. Then move to the new IOS when you need it.

Good Luck and enjoy the present.
  • Options
    Thanks for the quick reply Jon. Yeah, I'm gonna be taking it slow with it. It was bad enough that the entire box with everything in it weighed 85lbs (dragging it up a flight of stairs was no fun either). I'll be sure to keep you guys updated on my studies when I resume them on January 2nd :)

"You have enemies? Good, that means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." ~Winston S. Churchill
  • Options
    clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    you will need to set up a tftp server on your pc/computer. although a 2811 uses a compact flash card so if you have a card reader or a usb drive you can just sneaker net it. Bu, get the version that you want. go here: https://software.cisco.com/download/navigator.html?mdfid=268437593&flowid=2532 back up your current ios and config file. copy the new ios to the cf card. copy tftp flash reload pretty simple
    of course you will have to make sure your new version was booted. you might have boot system flash: statement in your config file or you might have the BOOT variable set in the rom monitor.
    there are lots of serial module that you can use. They all pretty much work except the dsu t1 wic, they don't. only the dsu t1 v2 wics work.
    myself I like the dsu t1 v2 wics because they use ethernet cables. which if you have a crimping tool you can make yourself practically for free. when you see how much cables are going to cost you, a $10 crimping tool, $4 on ethernet plugs and a little time is a lot cheaper.
  • Options
    I tried downloading the latest software, but it says I need a service contract with Cisco....:/