Options

Best Online Masters Programs

zholling10zholling10 Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey everyone, I just finished my undergrad and graduated with an Information Technology degree and also have my CCNA. I am considering getting a masters and haven't done much research yet. I am just wanting to get some opinions from others out there who have had some success with online masters programs. I have seen a few online like ASU's information management program and some others. Any thoughts out there? Thanks everyone.

Comments

• Options
    philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    zholling10 wrote: »
    Hey everyone, I just finished my undergrad and graduated with an Information Technology degree and also have my CCNA. I am considering getting a masters and haven't done much research yet. I am just wanting to get some opinions from others out there who have had some success with online masters programs. I have seen a few online like ASU's information management program and some others. Any thoughts out there? Thanks everyone.

Clarify,

MBA, MSIS, MSIA? What degree?
  • Options
    Khaos1911Khaos1911 Member Posts: 366
    *Rant*

Other than WGU, they are all so damn expensive. I personally am looking for a Master of Cyber Security and see quite a few programs that I like. I just don't feel like studying for and taking GRE and would prefer a 30 hour program, but that's just me. I like Villanova and USC programs but they are ridiculously priced, but I get the prestige of those universities. Valpo has an affordable program, but it's not NSA certified and all that good stuff though they assure me they are going through the process.Univ of South Florida and Florida Tech have curriculums that I like alot. South Florida would lead the race if I could somehow qualify for in state tuition (here's looking at you SREB), but I think I like Florida Tech curriculum the most.
  • Options
    anoeljranoeljr Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Like philz1982 said, are you looking for a specific degree like a Masters in Information Systems?

@Khaos1911, sometimes you can bypass the GRE by enrolling in a graduate certificate and completing it. It just depends on what the specific school's policy is.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    For me WGU was fine for my MBA, but honestly I want another Masters from a heavy hitter University. I'm looking at Data or Business Intell.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    That's exactly where I'm at. WGU to check the box, something better down the line.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Add me to the list of getting my Masters at WGU and then another Masters from a solid University down the road. Doing the MSISA now, and planning on an MBA, either at my alma mater Florida, or one of the top B schools, and maybe even a top international B school such as IE. Alternatively a JD is very tempting....
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    cs8400cs8400 Member Posts: 90 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm looking at starting WGU's MS Information Technology Management in March. Keep thinking I might like the MSISA or the MBAITM. My AAS is in Networking Systems and my BS is in Technical Management, so I keep coming back to WGU's MS Information Technology Management. I do find Dakota State University's MS Information Systems very interesting as well.

Here's a site that I was looking at yesterday that compares several of the online degrees.
    Online Masters in Computer Science | Affordable Online Degrees | Best Online Colleges | Best Online Universities | GetEducated.com
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    Add me to the list of getting my Masters at WGU and then another Masters from a solid University down the road. Doing the MSISA now, and planning on an MBA, either at my alma mater Florida, or one of the top B schools, and maybe even a top international B school such as IE. Alternatively a JD is very tempting....

Have you looked into Open University's MBA program? One of less than 70 triple accredited B schools in the world. Rather affordable ($30ish k), has a royal charter and US regional accreditation, and the staff seem really eager to answer questions.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    The MBA is more to fill in additional knowledge gaps that I had left over from my Bachelors. Now that I am solid on the business side, (Still reading business centric books all the time) experience is my only friend on this side. Now it's time to define who I am an get the heavy hitter from a technical university. I do not want to be known as the business guy, I want to be known as the Data guy who is extremely solid on the business side. That's why I took all these finance and accounting classes. My last formal educational endeavor will be my last and most challenging.
  • Options
    I'm not really sure exactly what I want to get into yet. I am interested in Information Management as I would like to get into management later in my career but I also really have a strong passion for networking and security. What is the difference between a certificate and an actual masters?
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    A certificate is usually 3 to 6 courses while a masters is 10 to 12.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    Would you say a masters is worth if? Or just a certificate?
  • Options
    ArabianKnightArabianKnight Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am currently enrolled in an MBA in INFOSEC from NCU, its all online, accredited, while not famous....it does the job.
  • Options
    Yeah I just got off the phone with Southern New Hampshire University. They seemed really nice, an accredited university, and fairly cheap about $6xx per credit hour. Anyone have any experience with SNHU?
  • Options
    jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    SNHU is a bit expensive for my taste. How about Bellevue or Sam Houston State? Minot State offers a MS in Information Technology for under 10,000.
    WGU grad
  • Options
    XavorXavor Member Posts: 161
    I app'd for ASU because the program is a flat rate and is a brick and mortar. If I get in I'll update my other thread with the experience.

Since you're just graduating you can always wait for an employer that will sponsor or subsidize the cost. I was concerned some schools will put " - Online" on the degree which is a little snobby to me.
  • Options
    Yeah I got a job being a software developer and my company offers $8000 in tuition assistance a year so anything helps. Let me know how the ASU thing turns out.
  • Options
    PolynomialPolynomial Member Posts: 365
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    stryder144 wrote: »
    Have you looked into Open University's MBA program? One of less than 70 triple accredited B schools in the world. Rather affordable ($30ish k), has a royal charter and US regional accreditation, and the staff seem really eager to answer questions.

I hadn't looked into them but thanks for the recommendation. I will add them to my list to look into.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What about UMUC?
  • Options
    TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    zholling10 wrote: »
    Yeah I got a job being a software developer and my company offers $8000 in tuition assistance a year so anything helps. Let me know how the ASU thing turns out.

I am currently in the ASU MS Information Management program (3 classes done) and I love it. Great education, great support, the online experience is solid. It took a while for me to get accepted, I applied in December 2013 and was admitted and started classes in August 2014. It is a little expensive for most people, but I am very pleased with the education quality so far.
    Xavor wrote: »
    I app'd for ASU because the program is a flat rate and is a brick and mortar. If I get in I'll update my other thread with the experience.

Since you're just graduating you can always wait for an employer that will sponsor or subsidize the cost. I was concerned some schools will put " - Online" on the degree which is a little snobby to me.

Good luck on your application. If you have any questions on what to expect send me a PM.
  • Options
    ASU, Arizone State University?
  • Options
    TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    aspiringsoulaspiringsoul Member Posts: 314
    I'm nearly a quarter of the way through the MSISA at WGU...

I'm contemplating going for an MBA at some point in the future if the opportunity presents itself...I would rather focus on certifications at this point though, but my career goals might change in 2 years.
    Education: MS-Information Security and Assurance from Western Governors University, BS-Business Information Systems from Indiana Wesleyan University, AAS-Computer Network Systems - ITT Tech,
  • Options
    DoyenDoyen Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am currently enrolled in an MBA in INFOSEC from NCU, its all online, accredited, while not famous....it does the job.

How are you liking their program? I have aspirations in getting an MBA from NCU due to their specialization in InfoSec & online format.
    Goals for 2016: [] VCP 5.5: ICM (recertifying) , [ ] VMware VCA-NV, [ ] 640-911 DCICN, [ ] 640-916 DCICT, [ ] CCNA: Data Center, [ ] CISSP (Associate), [ ] 300-101 ROUTE, [ ] 300-115 SWITCH, [ ] 300-135 TSHOOT, [ ] CCNP: Route & Switch, [ ] CEHv8, [ ] LX0-103, [ ] LX0-104
    Future Goals: WGU MSISA or Capital Technology Univerisity MSCIS Degree Program
    Click here to connect with me on LinkedIn! Just mention your are from Techexams.net.