Options

How should one setup a GNS3 lab ?

anuragaks10anuragaks10 Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hola amigos!

I will be attempting the CCENT exam in late feb. I am short on resources to setup a physical(hardware) lab hence I downloaded GNS3.
However, I am not sure how to setup GNS3 to get some practical experience in handling the routers and switches. I tried Google but couldn't really follow clearly enough to do it myself. Or, maybe, my Google-fu was just bad :P

So, I turn to thee. Would you be so kind to help/guide a fellow aspirant in clearing this awesome exam ?

Cheers!
A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor

Comments

• Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You don't really have a question. But I'll try to point you in the right direction.

Search for GNS3 on this site. The CCNP forms have had a number of postings about the new version.
    In reading the posts you should come across a link to the GNS3 forums for getting the IOU configured. I think they call the forums the Jungle.
    This will show you the steps required to get the new IOU working for switching.
    I the IOS for routing has worked all along and the GNS3 site does a good job at describing how to make it work.

Keep in mind that the IOS and IOU files are licensed by Cisco. Lots of people use them for labs but this is not officially supported by Cisco so you will have to look to google to help you obtain them. While it seems like a pain and took me a few days to get it working the first time it will be worth it in the end.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    olhandleyolhandley Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    you should go on youtube and watch a step by step on how to set it up....you will definitely need an IOS image. If you dont have one, you may search the internet for packet tracer......More than sufficient for CCENT.
  • Options
    uboubo Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Which is preferred for CCENT: GNS3 or Packet Tracer?

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ubo wrote: »
    Which is preferred for CCENT: GNS3 or Packet Tracer?

Thanks in advance.

To answer this one would need to know the goals.

If you plan on stopping at CCENT then I would say you have no need for GNS3.

If you plan on working in the industry then I would say invest the time and learn to use GNS3.

I love packet tracer for a lot of reasons but the most obvious is it's easy to use when you are first starting out. I also think when your first learning to troubleshoot it helps to watch the packets in simulation mode. GNS3 is confusing at first and it took me a few days to get it working but it was well worth the effort.
  • Options
    IIIMasterIIIMaster Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hola amigos!

I will be attempting the CCENT exam in late feb. I am short on resources to setup a physical(hardware) lab hence I downloaded GNS3.
    However, I am not sure how to setup GNS3 to get some practical experience in handling the routers and switches. I tried Google but couldn't really follow clearly enough to do it myself. Or, maybe, my Google-fu was just bad :P

So, I turn to thee. Would you be so kind to help/guide a fellow aspirant in clearing this awesome exam ?

Cheers!

You need an actual an ios image to make gns3 work. But to be honest at the ccent and ccna level I doubt you will will need gn3 probably packet tracer. It is way easier to set up and there are a bunch of labs with manuals available. But neither simulators can not fully simulate switches... you will have the functionality of a router acting as a switch. If you need packet tracer let me know.
  • Options
    anuragaks10anuragaks10 Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks everyone!

I shall use the Packet tracer for CCENT and probably for ICND200 too. I know this must have been asked in some other thread/post but I was just wondering if you had any book recommendations.

Cheers
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
  • Options
    JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    Packet Tracer + Official guide + CBT/INE video training is all you need.
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.