Options

No matter what job I take I always seem to get

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
The same tasks.
I'm not complaining but I find it fascinating that employers lock onto your skills very quickly.

I'm good at writing queries, but I am really good at building dashboards. It never fails I always get asked to build the reports and dashboards, even though the position never really asked or mentioned that skill in the description.

Do you possess a natural skills that you are really good at and employers seem to seek you out for that even if you never really mentioned it in the interview.

Again I am not complaining just chuckling more than anything.

Down side is people don't like the metrics guy so I would like to move away from that eventually.

Comments

• Options
    -hype-hype Member Posts: 165
    Looks like you're with a good employer(s) and they know how best use your skill set.
    WGU BS IT:Network Administration
    Started: 10-1-13
    Completed: 9-21-14
    Transferred: 67 CU Completed: 54 CU
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I feel you. I've somehow been pegged as the document reviewer. It would seem that if there is something wrong with the document, I will find it. I'm thinking of considering that a super power.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    cknapp78cknapp78 Member Posts: 213 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @stryder144

Awesome...I can see it now. Look...up in the sky...GrammarMan!!!! Special weapons include his deadly whiteout grenades and his corrective red laser pen.
  • Options
    TalonizeTalonize Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Typos are really easy to miss lol
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    @N2IT yup. I always end up customer or business facing even in really bad situations to calm it down. They've also learned my documentation is very easy to read but detailed so I get asked to make procedures and fixes a lot :p

However it got me from a 10% bonus this year to 15% next year so I not complaining.
  • Options
    TheProfTheProf Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 331 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I work as a consultant and from time to time depending on the client I get tagged as a generalist... meaning I go on it work on a specific project, lets say VMware View.. once they find out my skill-set in Exchange, AD, Storage, etc.. I get pulled into that as well... But I don't mind it, it's a nice change from time to time.