Options

How to convert from Desktop Support to System / Server Administration?

I have worked majority of my career as Desktop Support or what they call it now Desktop Administration. I feel like I'm maxed out my potential in that field and starting to get bored of it, even though my current position pays pretty well along with the benefits and great environment.

I feel like I do a little system / server administration, but what classes / certs / side work should I do to work toward becoming a System / Server administrator?

Comments

• Options
    Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    MCSA 2008/2012
    VCP
    CCNA

They'd be your best bet with MCSA up first.
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • Options
    PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Which systems and servers? That's a very broad question.
  • Options
    VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    Kinet1c has a good list of certs that could certainly benefit you in going the way of server admin. Based on the certs you have listed on your profile, I think specializing in Windows Server 2008/2012 would be your end game. If you have a current server admin at your workplace, ask if you can shadow them. You want to try and get hands on with server hardware, AD administration, GPOs, Domain trusts, shared folders, print servers, etc. The more you become familiar with, the more valuable you are in a server admin role. Huge bonuses include becoming familiar with Exchange (a beast in its own right) and SQL server.
  • Options
    Rockets34LifeRockets34Life Member Posts: 122
    Sorry PJ_Sneakers. I've worked in a Windows environment for all my career, so I would like to work on Microsoft 2008/2012 servers, SCCM 2012, AD, etc.
  • Options
    Verities, what is Kinet1c? I tried doing a google search, but came up with nothing.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Hmm... post #2 up there ^^
  • Options
    xnxxnx Member Posts: 464 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Haha.. Always look at the bigger picture..
    Getting There ...

Lab Equipment: Using Cisco CSRs and 4 Switches currently
  • Options
    Sorry PJ_Sneakers. I've worked in a Windows environment for all my career, so I would like to work on Microsoft 2008/2012 servers, SCCM 2012, AD, etc.
    Definitely start with the MCSA on 2012. After you get that down, if you want to go further you can branch out to the different MCSE tracks to specialize.
  • Options
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Hmm... post #2 up there ^^

Hahaha, sorry about that. Went brain dead...
  • Options
    Sorry for the stupid question, but is there any certs that can help me as a pre-req before proceeding into MCSA 2012?
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    MCSA: Windows 8 perhaps. Incorporates a good share of Server 2012 R2 technology. Actually, I don't see anyone passing those two exams unless they have a good grasp of Windows Server with significant experience in a professional setting and/or lab environment.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    Sorry for the stupid question, but is there any certs that can help me as a pre-req before proceeding into MCSA 2012?
    From your profile, it appears you have the MCITP EST? That's pretty much the closest you can get to a pre-req, I'd think.
  • Options
    BurnsieBurnsie Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□

If you are looking for a current exam that is entry level to the MCSA server track, you can look into the Microsoft Technology Associate track. It would be a good inexpensive way (only $65) to get back into the Microsoft testing, if it has been a while since you have taken one of their exams. It may be well below your experience level, so take a look at the material. If you're comfortable with it, skip it and jump right into 70-410.

I took the MTA 98-365 because an employer wanted me to have something Microsoft under my belt.

B

https://www.microsoft.com/learning/en-us/mta-certification.aspx