Options

IT Market in a downward spiral?

2»

Comments

• Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    I was that disgruntled Mcdonalds employee at one point, it was always classical when customers would ask for the Manager and I go to the stock room come back and say Hello, how may I help you! "where is the manager" I am the Manager! ... you should have seen there faces....

They learned quite quickly not to screw with me, then again some never returned others just learned not to screw with me!!!

ahhh the things I did when in college back in the day...

LOL!
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Honestly, this sounds entry level. "Proficient in Mac OS" and "virus removal"? Ok, so if you're an average Geek squad member who can format away a virus, it sounds like you're qualified for this job. Added perks are you'd get to put "desktop support" on your resume and leapfrog to to a better position down the road. Not bad for a first IT job to be honest... When I started out in IT, I had more responsibilities than this job's description and I was only getting $12/hr. I had to work as a security guard at night to make ends meet but it got the job done and I was able to make the right career choices to find success.

This thread reminds of a post a few years back for a Linux admin that started at $8/hr. The job post said it was entry level and they'd be willing to take someone with zero Linux skills and train them but some people got so held up by the job title and pay that they felt it was ridiculous. Sometimes the job title is a perk that makes your resume stand out later on but what's really important is the responsibilities of the job and what it's going to do for your career long-term.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    professionaleprofessionale Banned Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    if i had no experience in IT or just starting out
    i would take it 100 percently, i would work there get the experience and move on up within the company or another one
    mind you when i started in IT for the first year i was making zero dollars i was actually volunteering and interning to get experience
    i had it hard but it paid off in the end
    so 8 bucks a hour is luxary,

i wish i got 8 bucks an hour,

anyways best of luck
  • Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    On the flip side, I just got hired for an entry level position, 100% phone/remote support, fairly low volume place for $17/hr, which I would say is pretty good for entry level.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Options
    Kai123Kai123 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Darthn3ss wrote: »
    On the flip side, I just got hired for an entry level position, 100% phone/remote support, fairly low volume place for $17/hr, which I would say is pretty good for entry level.

Is that a network related job?
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Everything is this thread will prove why 10 dollars an hour is OK

http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/56869-how-much-your-starting-i-t-salery-6.html
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    Codeman6669Codeman6669 Member Posts: 227
    keep some things in perspective:
    10$ at mcdonalds is the most you will likely see..ever. You wont gain knowledge. you wont gain experience. and your resume will say your only capable of sheep minded jobs (no offence to those out there)

Now go make $10 as a lets say help desk. You gain experience, you gain knowledge, in a year you can be making more, in 4 years (considering you progress) you could be making much much more. Also you will have a job in the future. Why? Because ANYONE can work at mcdonalds. So now go take your blank resume and apply at mcdonalds, with the 10 million other mindless sheep. Now take your resume with 3 years experieince of help desk, a a+ and a N+ (ccent? CCNA?) and now your not only a needed commodity, they WILL PAY YOU WHAT YOU ARE WILLING TO ACCEPT. SO do some research on what your experieince and level of knowelge pays (in your area VERY IMPORTANT) , and that will be your requesting pay. Get some good certs, and either have your job give you a increase, or go somewhere else and request more.

The only thing that is in a download spiral is QUALIFIED knowledgeable, personable I.T.
    Have a great personality in the I.T. industry is a MUST.