Options

90 Days to MCSA Challenge

Comments

• Options
    pjd007pjd007 Member Posts: 277 ■■■□□□□□□□
    lmoworld wrote: »
    70-411 study material has been kicking my butt.
    How do you mean ?

I found NPS tricky and knowing what to configure for certain situations was key to passing the exam for me.
  • Options
    lmoworldlmoworld Member Posts: 124 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This is exactly how I feel. I read and watch and Google and the next day I'm stuck on trying to remember what I cover. I don't like moving forward until I feel comfortable. A lot of days are missing from OneNote only due to having to re-reading material.
    Rocket-sG wrote: »
    I agree with you, It is very esoteric and I read an entire paragraph and then forget what I just finished reading! I just got finished passing the 70-410 but from what I read the 70-410 seems to have a higher failure rate. Perhaps it is because people just give up after failing it once.

I may have to read the textbook twice. I am reading it cover to cover and then will read it cover to cover again.

I read until I can no longer bear it and then I sit on the sofa and watch plural sight on my laptop and then back to the book again.

By the way I am using Exam Ref 70-411 Administering Windows Server 2012 R2 (MCSA) by Charlie Russel.

I got the book used for $10 USD.

I would like to use MCSA Windows Server 2012 R2 Complete Study Guide: Exams 70-410, 70-411, 70-412, and 70-417

[COLOR=#555555 !important]Jan 27, 2015 by William Panek

But unfortunately it costs $58 and I cant afford it this month
    [/COLOR]
  • Options
    Rocket-sGRocket-sG Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ref: 411For me it has to do with boredom. I have a hard time focusing when it is something that is really dry and technical. For example all the dism mount stuff and wim......I just found it dreadfully boring. So because of this I find myself needing to take more frequent breaks and I am not moving as fast as I did with 70-410But I guess it is all a question of self-discipline so I just have to keep myself on task. My goal is to take 14 days total before sitting the exam and will not waver from that commitment.
  • Options
    This is exactly how I feel. I read and watch and Google and the next day I'm stuck on trying to remember what I cover. I don't like moving forward until I feel comfortable. A lot of days are missing from OneNote only due to having to re-reading material.
    That's the difficulty with these exams, if you can't cover all the topics in a short period by the time you've watched all the vids and read all the content you forget what you covered at the beginning.

Also this is why I have to get 3-4hrs in per day as if I did any less then I'd really struggle to get these exams done though like you I'm also having the above problem, there's just so much content to cover.

I'm hoping to sit 412 next week but I'm not that confident about it right now.
  • Options
    brainrebootbrainreboot Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Any updates IMOWORLD please?
  • Options
    jcp1856jcp1856 Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm running into an issue with my outdated PC. I have a 2007 Toshiba Satellite running VIsta Home Premium. Unfortunately it doesn't support virtualization so I'm thinking of upgrading to the OEM Windows 7 SP1 64bit System Builder listed on Amazon for $86 USD. Anyone have any other suggestions for 1) getting a cheaper version of Windows 7 SP1 64bit and/or 2) being able to load Windows Server 2012 virtually onto VM Player without having to upgrade my OS. I can save everything onto my external if i am going to upgrade so that's not an issue.

Thoughts?
  • Options
    jcp1856 wrote: »
    I'm running into an issue with my outdated PC. I have a 2007 Toshiba Satellite running VIsta Home Premium. Unfortunately it doesn't support virtualization so I'm thinking of upgrading to the OEM Windows 7 SP1 64bit System Builder listed on Amazon for $86 USD. Anyone have any other suggestions for 1) getting a cheaper version of Windows 7 SP1 64bit and/or 2) being able to load Windows Server 2012 virtually onto VM Player without having to upgrade my OS. I can save everything onto my external if i am going to upgrade so that's not an issue.

Thoughts?
    You'll want Windows 8.1 if you want to run Hyper-V and host VM's on that which you probably do if you're studying for these exams.
  • Options
    ed_003ed_003 Member Posts: 216
    One complete hour toward studying without any interruptions. I have 2 kids under two, so pushing for more would be too much. I periodically may look at some study material during the day. This morning I woke up a few minutes earlier to lab and switch core to full.

How do you split up the hour? in terms of reading, videos
  • Options
    I can't run hyper-v and host VMs on Windows 7? I thought I could
  • Options
    SkellySkelly Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I can't run hyper-v and host VMs on Windows 7? I thought I could

Only if you're running VMware Workstation on some other hypervisor on top of it.

Two things:

If I remember correctly, only the Enterprise and Pro versions of Windows 8.x include Hyper-V

Your PC has to support virtualization and it has to be 64 bit - you might want to check your BIOS to see if you have the proper support.
    2014 Goals: SCCM 2012 -Passed! MCSA 2012 -In progress, MCSE 2012 Server, MCSE Private Cloud
  • Options
    it's 64bit and it doesn't supprot virtualization. however i can run VMware Player with Ubuntu and CentOS. I'm thinkign the switch over the Windows 8.1 will solve my problem
  • Options
    it's 64bit and it doesn't supprot virtualization. however i can run VMware Player with Ubuntu and CentOS. I'm thinkign the switch over the Windows 8.1 will solve my problem
    Win8.1 won't solve your problem if the BIOS doesn't support virtualisation:

Step-By-Step: Enabling Hyper-V for use on Windows 8.1 - Canadian IT Professionals - Site Home - TechNet Blogs
  • Options
    lmoworldlmoworld Member Posts: 124 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ed_003 wrote: »
    How do you split up the hour? in terms of reading, videos
    Sorry for the delay in response. Hours shifted recently which is consuming more of my lab time. It really depends. I have been reading a lot lately. For 70-410 it was mainly labs with reading filling in the blanks. Mastering Windows Server 2012 R2 is hands down the best book for the exam. I go to other sites and blogs to fill in the blanks. I tend to post those links in my notes. Over the past 2 weeks my notes have lessen only due to having hand written notes. I don't plan to transfer them to my notes, and besides it's not like I'm getting paid to post them. You would think 90 days is a long time, but honestly it's not. Time has definitely been going by quickly. I'm slotted to take 70-411 on the 20th. Hoping to hear some success stories. The point of the 90 day challenge is to force a deadline. Even if you don't manage to successfully achieve all 3 certifications at least you tried.
  • Options
    Yes,

I wasnt able to even begin studying for 410 until Jan 15th because I had to complete another exam.

I have been studying full time and work only 20 hours per week....... Have only accomplished 70-410 so far and probably 411 by the 20th of March. That would leave me with only 10 days to complete 412 and even the guru's needed 14 days minimum (And I am probably going to need 21 days for 412)

And I flunked 410 one time which delayed me by an extra 2 weeks. So 3 exams in 90 days is certainly a fast timeline.

But just go as fast as you can and thats the best you can do, I appreciate the ambitous time-line and think it will bring out the best in us.

It is really Microsoft Press that has let us down by writing such paltry study guides and forcing us to "fill in all the blanks" on our own, I had to learn the lesson THE HARD WAY when I sat down for the 410 exam and saw questions with terminology I had never SEEN IN MY LIFE before.

Like this:
    [COLOR=#000000][FONT=Consolas]configuration MyConfiguration{    Import-DscResource -ModuleName xWebAdministration -Name MSFT_xWebsite    node $AllNodes.Where{$_.Role -eq "WebServer"}.NodeName    {        xWebsite Site        {            Name         = $Node.SiteName            PhysicalPath = $Node.SiteContents            Ensure       = "Present"        }    } [/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#000000][FONT=Consolas]}
    [/FONT][/COLOR]
    $MyData = @{    AllNodes =     @(        @{            NodeName           = "*"            LogPath            = "C:\Logs"        },         @{            NodeName = "VM-1";            Role     = "WebServer"            SiteContents = "C:\Site1"            SiteName = "Website1"        },         @{            NodeName = "VM-2";            Role     = "SQLServer"        },         @{            NodeName = "VM-3";            Role     = "WebServer";            SiteContents = "C:\Site2"            SiteName = "Website3"        }    );    NonNodeData =     @{        ConfigFileContents = (Get-Content C:\Template\Config.xml)     }   } configuration MyConfiguration{    Import-DscResource -ModuleName xWebAdministration -Name MSFT_xWebsite    node $AllNodes.Where{$_.Role -eq "WebServer"}.NodeName    {        xWebsite Site        {            Name         = $Node.SiteName            PhysicalPath = $Node.SiteContents            Ensure       = "Present"        }        File ConfigFile        {            DestinationPath = $Node.SiteContents + "\\config.xml"            Contents = $ConfigurationData.NonNodeData.ConfigFileContents        }    }}

• Options
    Jency83Jency83 Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just went through this topic and I would be quite interested how many of you guys actually did the MCS in 90 days.

From my point of view it is not doable. Especially for me as a non-native speaker, everything takes me twice as much time to understand and there aren't really any books translated to my language.

I am currently preparing for my 70-411 which I am going to undertake this Wednesday. I have already failed in October after investing roughly 100 hours of my time (reading book, watching CBT nuggets, plenty of labing) to the training. And yet I failed by few points. As someone mentioned, you can get several questions asking about the same topic and when you are not 100% sure, you're done. At that time, Bitlocker powershell and batch commands buried my chances.

I don't understand how someone can take the exam learning only 1 hr a day. I made a plan for the retake to study two weeks. Mostly go through the CBT nuggets videos once again (20hrs in total) and do labs. It takes so much time and effort to meet the plan. And I cannot imagine I would go for next exam the very next day I passed the previous one.

Although I do not feel that much confident, I am still going for the exam. Failing last time, I believe I know what to expect this time. And thanks to MS we have 2nd shot free.
  • Options
    This guy did all 3 exams in 48 days:

https://benofthecloud.wordpress.com/2013/09/24/dual-mcse-certification-in-90-days/

So its definately do-able. I certainly plan to have at least 410 (already passed it on second attempt) and 411 complete inside of 90 days.

Im so "tired" of reading and studying this Microsoft material that I just want to get it over with so I can move on to the CCNA certification.

Im also sick of James Conrad and his whiteboards, bad jokes and messy handwriting. Thats why I just want to get it done, and I recommend the same to you guys. Dont "prolong the agony" by studying a little at a time. Just go full force and get it over with.
  • Options
    Rocket-sG wrote: »
    Im also sick of James Conrad and his whiteboards, bad jokes and messy handwriting. Thats why I just want to get it done, and I recommend the same to you guys. Dont "prolong the agony" by studying a little at a time. Just go full force and get it over with.

Totally agree! I didn't notice it when preparing for 70-410 and first try of 70-411. Then I watched Security+ from Keith Barker and when I came back to 70-411 I noticed the difference. I still respect James' knowledge and I do like the way how he explains things, but already started to hate his "family stories" and "jokes". CBT nuggets are still worth the money though. I had a chance to watch some of the Trainsignal videos and that was just boring.
  • Options
    Jency83 wrote: »
    I just went through this topic and I would be quite interested how many of you guys actually did the MCS in 90 days.

From my point of view it is not doable. Especially for me as a non-native speaker, everything takes me twice as much time to understand and there aren't really any books translated to my language.

I am currently preparing for my 70-411 which I am going to undertake this Wednesday. I have already failed in October after investing roughly 100 hours of my time (reading book, watching CBT nuggets, plenty of labing) to the training. And yet I failed by few points. As someone mentioned, you can get several questions asking about the same topic and when you are not 100% sure, you're done. At that time, Bitlocker powershell and batch commands buried my chances.

I don't understand how someone can take the exam learning only 1 hr a day. I made a plan for the retake to study two weeks. Mostly go through the CBT nuggets videos once again (20hrs in total) and do labs. It takes so much time and effort to meet the plan. And I cannot imagine I would go for next exam the very next day I passed the previous one.

Although I do not feel that much confident, I am still going for the exam. Failing last time, I believe I know what to expect this time. And thanks to MS we have 2nd shot free.
    Why don't you book the exam in your native language !?!?!
  • Options
    Totally agree! I didn't notice it when preparing for 70-410 and first try of 70-411. Then I watched Security+ from Keith Barker and when I came back to 70-411 I noticed the difference. I still respect James' knowledge and I do like the way how he explains things, but already started to hate his "family stories" and "jokes". CBT nuggets are still worth the money though. I had a chance to watch some of the Trainsignal videos and that was just boring.

Wow! totally agree. I suffered through James when I did Windows 2008, and I was hoping someone else was doing the 2012 stuff. I just signed up for a subscription to CBT Nuggets the other day. Bummer..... icon_sad.gif
    2014 Goals: SCCM 2012 -Passed! MCSA 2012 -In progress, MCSE 2012 Server, MCSE Private Cloud
  • Options
    Louie1277Louie1277 Member Posts: 505 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Skelly wrote: »
    Wow! totally agree. I suffered through James when I did Windows 2008, and I was hoping someone else was doing the 2012 stuff. I just signed up for a subscription to CBT Nuggets the other day. Bummer..... icon_sad.gif

I have the same feeling about James. This was the first time i heard him since i'm studying for the exam. Just the way he teaches makes me sleepy, or not pay attention to the information he is trying to teach... ugh....

I guess some people know how to teach and other think they know...
    2018 Goals: 70-410 [X], 70-411 [],70-412 [] :bow: 410- Passed!!!!!!

My Goal for the Future
    2012 - *MCSA*(WHO KNOWS WHEN) KEEP FAILING!!!! Not enough time to pass the last 2 exams.
    2021 - *Security+*
    2022 - * Pen Tester*
  • Options
    pjd007 wrote: »
    Why don't you book the exam in your native language !?!?!

Because MS exams are available in few languages only. I think English, German, Portuguese, Spanish, Japanese and few more. You can get extra minutes if you're not a native speaker, but last time that was a hassle! MS told me to deal with Prometric, Prometric told me to deal with MS. No one really knew what the correct process is. Studying and taking the exam in English is the only option, unless I want to start taking Japanese lessons, lol
  • Options
    Louie1277 wrote: »
    I have the same feeling about James. This was the first time i heard him since i'm studying for the exam. Just the way he teaches makes me sleepy, or not pay attention to the information he is trying to teach... ugh....

I guess some people know how to teach and other think they know...

I don't want to start a flame here, but if you think James' videos are boring, you should get some Trainsignal videos. You can fall asleep even after 5 coffees, that's how boring it is! I have also watched some other videos on youtube and e.g. Professor Messer videos for Security+ exam and I really believe James' videos are easy to follow.

Well, back to 90 days challenge. Is there anyone who were actually successful? I am going to take 411 tomorrow and enjoy 3 weeks holiday from Saturday on. My brain really needs a rest and for me, 90 days is really not do-able.
  • Options
    Louie1277Louie1277 Member Posts: 505 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I don't want to start a flame here, but if you think James' videos are boring, you should get some Trainsignal videos. You can fall asleep even after 5 coffees, that's how boring it is! I have also watched some other videos on youtube and e.g. Professor Messer videos for Security+ exam and I really believe James' videos are easy to follow.

Well, back to 90 days challenge. Is there anyone who were actually successful? I am going to take 411 tomorrow and enjoy 3 weeks holiday from Saturday on. My brain really needs a rest and for me, 90 days is really not do-able.

I wish i had your problem ... hahah I have been studying here and there trying to learn the 70-410 .. I failed it twice already stupid test!!!!! I just need to keep trying and reading more... But family and work has me tired by the end of the day... My brain is fried plus staying up to midnight and getting up 5 hours later is not good for learning... ugh!!!!!!
    2018 Goals: 70-410 [X], 70-411 [],70-412 [] :bow: 410- Passed!!!!!!

My Goal for the Future
    2012 - *MCSA*(WHO KNOWS WHEN) KEEP FAILING!!!! Not enough time to pass the last 2 exams.
    2021 - *Security+*
    2022 - * Pen Tester*
  • Options
    Louie1277 wrote: »
    I wish i had your problem ... hahah I have been studying here and there trying to learn the 70-410 .. I failed it twice already stupid test!!!!! I just need to keep trying and reading more... But family and work has me tired by the end of the day... My brain is fried plus staying up to midnight and getting up 5 hours later is not good for learning... ugh!!!!!!

Oh Lord, I won't be taking the MS exam tomorrow eventually. I do have all sorts of IDs, but all issued by my home country whereas I am living in New Zealand now. And in such case, they need passport which I have at the immigration office, lol. Thanks God I noticed it on time and was able to cancel the exam. Last time I wanted to take Sec+ I had to ask them for approval to take it outside my country of origin. I really envy you guys, taking the exams in your native language, in your country, with no issues.
    Well, I used to give up with everything when I was a kid and the destiny is not doing my certification path any easier, but every time such thing happens, I remember Keith Barker's quote ... "I am not smart, but I am persistent".

Keep trying guys, we will eventually get there. icon_cheers.gif
  • Options

I don't think his videos are boring...just really annoying! His side chatter about his family, his photography and stuff start driving you crazy if you have to sit through too many of his videos.

About the 90 day challenge, i'm definitely NOT going to make it. I ended up having to take the SCCM exam, and then do a brain refresh (lots of re-reading my old material) for SCOM and SCSM so I could interview for a couple of projects.

I haven't even started yet.

I think it's do-able, I've taken multiple tests before in short periods, but I just had too much other stuff pop up unexpectedly.
  • Options
    As a few people have said in recent replies, the 90 day challenge is a nice idea but probably only realistic for a few people who are already familiar with a lot of the technologies and are fast learners.

For me it took a long time to crack 410 but I guess one advantage now is that the learning content is there whereas 12-18 months ago people were struggling to get the right resources (especially when R2 was introduced).
  • Options
    Skelly wrote: »
    I don't think his videos are boring...just really annoying! His side chatter about his family, his photography and stuff start driving you crazy if you have to sit through too many of his videos.

About the 90 day challenge, i'm definitely NOT going to make it. I ended up having to take the SCCM exam, and then do a brain refresh (lots of re-reading my old material) for SCOM and SCSM so I could interview for a couple of projects.

I haven't even started yet.

I think it's do-able, I've taken multiple tests before in short periods, but I just had too much other stuff pop up unexpectedly.
    How difficult was the SCCM exam ?

I'm aiming to do this one after I've completed the MCSE and the private cloud exams so have the same goals !

That said I think by the time I've finished the MCSE I'll be ready to have a break from studying.
  • Options
    pjd007 wrote: »
    How difficult was the SCCM exam ?

I'm aiming to do this one after I've completed the MCSE and the private cloud exams so have the same goals !

That said I think by the time I've finished the MCSE I'll be ready to have a break from studying.

It wasn't bad, but I've been designing SMS/SCCM implementations for a lot of years. The hardest part for me was looking at the questions as an admin, instead of a designer.

I'm tempted to take the private cloud tests before the 2012 MCSA just because I've had to do so mush SCOM stuff lately, and I've been told that's the toughest part of the PC tests.
  • Options
    Dewayne.smith1Dewayne.smith1 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have just scheduled my 411 exam for April 3, 2015 to give meenough time to prepare. I just passed by Vmware VCP5 Data Center on the 13March 2015, now I can focus on getting my MCSE finished. This will be my second go at 411. The area I found hard was the RRAS (Routing and Remote Access Server). I do not use this in the enviroments that I have worked so never really had to set it up or configure. I should be able to pass easy this time since I know what area I need to get stronger on.
  • Options
    knownheroknownhero Member Posts: 450
    I passed my 410 the other day and now its time to hammer out the 411. Got it booked for July 10th as a place holder.
    70-410 [x] 70-411 [x] 70-462[x] 70-331[x] 70-332[x]
    MCSE - SharePoint 2013 :thumbup:

Road map 2017: JavaScript and modern web development