Learning VOIP by myself ?

was55amgwas55amg Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I'd like to learn how to implement, configure, etc... VOIP.
I registered at my college for that class, but it sucks because of how they organised it. I'm in montreal and they did it bi-lingual (french and english), and it's really not efficient. The teacher explains something in english, then he repeats himself in french. Today was my 2nd class and I can't stand it.

Is is possible for me to learn by myself and really understand how to use it, how to implement it, design it? i've done CCNA 1-2-3-4 classes. I'll pass the CCNA cert next week.

I don't want to just pass CCVP certification, i really want to know what i'm doing.

Thanks!

Comments

• WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Wow, never heard of bi-lingual classroom courses before...
    I don't want to just pass CCVP certification, i really want to know what i'm doing.

Is is possible for me to learn by myself and really understand how to use it, how to implement it, design it?
    In my opinion I think one could (from books and cisco.com), but it won't be worth much if you don't gain the understanding by hands-on experience with the related equipment. Apart from building a home lab, you could try to find an online rental rack. Regardless, you're probably better of with a good CBT than a bi-lingual classroom course. CBT Nuggets offers several CBTs for CCVP exams, I think they have a demo for the CCVP so you can check that one out for free.
  • was55amgwas55amg Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    thank you so much! you gave me some hope. i'll check it tomorow morning.
  • texicantexican Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    And see what you can do about getting your money back for that class. That's pretty insane, especially for a technically oriented class.
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i would say so refund out of class and get books and cbt.. there resources on the web that can help understand the relavent topics and the how tos

www.cs.columbia.edu/~coms6181/slides/10/VoIP.ppt

www-ee.uta.edu/online/wang/VoIP.pdf

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=voip+ppt&btnG=Search
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • was55amgwas55amg Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    thanks guys! they did refund me. they told me to try another 2 weeks and leave if i'm not happy. I plan on buying the cisco press books for the CCVP + the CBT. Are the CCVP books from Cisco enough, or do i have to buy some "introduction" books before?

Thanks again
  • See if ciscopress has the CCVP self study and practical studies books. After reading those, then I'd say tackle the exam prep books. I know that they have these self study and practical studies books for CCNA and CCDA. I would assume CCVP has them too, or at least soon will.
  • Ten9t6Ten9t6 Member Posts: 691
    Here is how I am about to tackle this series of tests.......I currently do VoIP work, but most of it is with Avaya gear....So, I need hands on with Cisco.

I need to finish gathering more CiscoPress books for the series along with Boson Practice exams (for the final prep)....for the hands on, I will be renting time on some of the CCIE Voice racks available on the internet. I might even pick up a CCIE Voice lab manual from one of the Vendors. It is going to take a while......but getting all the hands on experience is worth it and really the only way to go.

Kenny
    Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA
  • where do you work at Kenny?
  • Ten9t6Ten9t6 Member Posts: 691
    haha.....Here is a hint....it is listed in my post. icon_wink.gif
    Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA
  • hendychowhendychow Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ten9t6 wrote:
    Here is how I am about to tackle this series of tests.......I currently do VoIP work, but most of it is with Avaya gear....So, I need hands on with Cisco.

I need to finish gathering more CiscoPress books for the series along with Boson Practice exams (for the final prep)....for the hands on, I will be renting time on some of the CCIE Voice racks available on the internet. I might even pick up a CCIE Voice lab manual from one of the Vendors. It is going to take a while......but getting all the hands on experience is worth it and really the only way to go.

Kenny

Kenny,

Could you share your experience of renting a rack ?
    How do you manage that ?

Thanks

Marius
    David