Options

CCNP Route.....

xnxxnx Member Posts: 464 ■■■□□□□□□□
I'm not the sort of person to usually post about what I've achieved etc but today was an 'experience' after finding the CCNA exam I did 8 months ago really easy.. icon_redface.gif

So I sat CCNP Route today and it was harder than I thought... It took me 1 Hour 15 Minutes and I passed with a score of 84X/1000. I really hate having to use the simulated routers in the exam and I couldn't get a certain command to work even though i've done it many times before on my lab at home...

In preparation I used the CCNP OCG and FLG along with labbing OSPF and EIGRP, admittedly I didn't do much BGP labbing as I can't really relate to it..

The exam centre is a 100+ mile round trip and it makes you mentally drained before you even start the exam - added to the fact I got 3 hours of sleep, literally.

If anyone is taking CCNP Route then practice your IOS configuration speed as it'll help you out a lot like it did for me as I was able to spend extra time on the 'dodgy' sim; without which I would have done the exam in less than a hour.

I think I will wait to do the newer switch as even though I am much better at switching, I just can't be bothered doing another exam so soon..
Getting There ...

Lab Equipment: Using Cisco CSRs and 4 Switches currently

Comments

• Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Well, congrats, I think? :D

The simulated routers are a pain in the proverbial, glad to see they've moved on since the time I took BSCI way back '09...
  • Options
    HondabuffHondabuff Member Posts: 667 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I passed Route almost a month and still ticked off that I scored on 834 on it. I put 5 months of study into it and felt like I was good to go. Then the questions come up and you have that look of where did Cisco pull this from. I had the OSPF and Redistribution labs give me fits. The OSPF one is cake but I used the wrong Process ID and had to redo it all. My redistribution Lab kept having the space bar not work and the commands were going in real slow. I tried it a few times once I got home in GNS3 and breezed right through it with out a hitch. I thought Switch was easier then Route by a long shot. Looks like for T-Shoot, you make your $250 donation to Cisco and they give you your CCNP cert.
    “The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can’t always be sure of their authenticity.” ~Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    bharvey92bharvey92 Member Posts: 419
    xnx wrote: »
    I'm not the sort of person to usually post about what I've achieved etc but today was an 'experience' after finding the CCNA exam I did 8 months ago really easy.. icon_redface.gif

So I sat CCNP Route today and it was harder than I thought... It took me 1 Hour 15 Minutes and I passed with a score of 84X/1000. I really hate having to use the simulated routers in the exam and I couldn't get a certain command to work even though i've done it many times before on my lab at home...

In preparation I used the CCNP OCG and FLG along with labbing OSPF and EIGRP, admittedly I didn't do much BGP labbing as I can't really relate to it..

The exam centre is a 100+ mile round trip and it makes you mentally drained before you even start the exam - added to the fact I got 3 hours of sleep, literally.

If anyone is taking CCNP Route then practice your IOS configuration speed as it'll help you out a lot like it did for me as I was able to spend extra time on the 'dodgy' sim; without which I would have done the exam in less than a hour.

I think I will wait to do the newer switch as even though I am much better at switching, I just can't be bothered doing another exam so soon..

Congtas man, a pass is a pass! Although I would have definitely recommended labbing BGP more. BGP is a huge topic and if it didn't crop up much in your exam it certainly will in the TShoot exam!
    2018 Goal: CCIE Written [ ]
  • Options
    Hondabuff wrote: »
    I passed Route almost a month and still ticked off that I scored on 834 on it. I put 5 months of study into it and felt like I was good to go. Then the questions come up and you have that look of where did Cisco pull this from. I had the OSPF and Redistribution labs give me fits. The OSPF one is cake but I used the wrong Process ID and had to redo it all. My redistribution Lab kept having the space bar not work and the commands were going in real slow. I tried it a few times once I got home in GNS3 and breezed right through it with out a hitch. I thought Switch was easier then Route by a long shot. Looks like for T-Shoot, you make your $250 donation to Cisco and they give you your CCNP cert.
    I've PM'd you - Just in case of NDA etc..
    Getting There ...

• Options
    gorebrush wrote: »
    Well, congrats, I think? :D

The simulated routers are a pain in the proverbial, glad to see they've moved on since the time I took BSCI way back '09...
    Thanks icon_thumright.gif
    Getting There ...

• Options
    bharvey92 wrote: »
    Congtas man, a pass is a pass! Although I would have definitely recommended labbing BGP more. BGP is a huge topic and if it didn't crop up much in your exam it certainly will in the TShoot exam!
    I've done simple BGP and IBGP labbing, just not fully utilised all my 6 physical routers and GNS3 together. Any BGP i'll ever touch in the near future will probably be simple multi-homing at the edge.
    Getting There ...

• Options
    aaron0011aaron0011 Member Posts: 330
    I passed recently as well with a 82X/1000 after studying on and off about a year. Sure, I would like to have scored higher but I'll take the pass. I have a strong grasp on most of the topics and can apply a lot of it in my job, which is what is important to me. I didn't have issues with the sims and felt like I nailed those, which is the reason I passed. My weakest area by far was IPv6, but in fairness I should have put more time into that topic than I did.