Options

what should I do next?

Hmmm...

Now to figure out what path to go down into more....

VCP5-DCV behind me, would CCNA or MCSA be best?

I kind of want to get more higher level jobs and I know there both important but which one?

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    aftereffectoraftereffector Member Posts: 525 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Do you like routers or servers? :) Or, why not both? The MSCA is three exams long, while CCNA is one or two, and knowing some CCNA topics will definitely help with parts of the Microsoft exam track.
    CCIE Security - this one might take a while...
  • Options
    joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    THey're both stepping stones along the same convoluted path. I might suggest CCNA DC as your next step, but MCSA would be easier. It seems you're going the DC route though, with VCP and some of your other threads. CCNA DC gives you some good networking, but still stays in same vein as your VCP. Plus I suspect MCSA will be a quick knockout once you have done VCP and CCNA.

That being said, I got my MCSA first years ago, my second ccna in 2014 and won't have my VCP until sometime later this year.
  • Options
    gc8dc95gc8dc95 Member Posts: 206 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Tough choice, but I would say CCNA.

I first got my CCNA. I am just finishing up my first MCSA, which has been easier not having to worry about learning the network portions. I have lightly started studying for the VCP and have noticed the CCNA will be beneficial there as well.
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    Well let me grasp this, is DC easier than R&S? - the WGU degree I start Feb 1st has the CCENT, CCNA R&S and the Security one included. So it might be smarter for now for me to start the MCSA or take something small like a Storage +, wait for WGU to start, see if I can get on the Cisco bandwagon quicker and bang out the CCENT.

I mean, if I get the two CCNA's, why not just add on a DC. If I'm going to want a higher-paying job, why not just be over qualified icon_thumright.gif

But your correct, datacenter are my focus since everything these days is being virtualized, so I mind as well build my blocks of certifications along that pursuit. However building out a normal switching fabric isn't super hard either, BGP now that's something I should do at some point. Me I personally love and I mean L.O.V.E Sonicwalls but not many people use them so I guess I'll need to learn ASA 1800's really well or Junipers (eeek, hard stuff)

As for CCNA on the VCP5 exam, it's not really pressing, but understanding I guess the key point(s) of networking as essential. Like I presume someone would need to know how to make a iSCSI switch and basic vlan support for vSS and vDS integration with a live network fabric along with simple routing. If it was me, I'd just throw in a HP switch and configure it in like 15 minutes and be done, ooo wait I did in my home lab, 25 minutes to make the switching fabric on two 2910al's icon_rolleyes.gif.... But if your a Cisco shop you need to know Cisco iOS icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    VCAP5-DCA. You'll gain some pretty valuable skills out of preparing for this one. (and honestly, you may just find it a little easier than the trivia questions they tend to ask in the VCP)
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    Essendon wrote: »
    VCAP5-DCA. You'll gain some pretty valuable skills out of preparing for this one. (and honestly, you may just find it a little easier than the trivia questions they tend to ask in the VCP)

hmmm... that might be more interesting. I like configuring things, hate double jeopardy!

...off to Amazon for a book....

..........is this one good: http://www.amazon.com/VCAP5-DCA-Official-Cert-Guide-Administration/dp/0789753235/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1420504187&sr=8-1&keywords=VCAP5-DCA

................honestly I'll be honest I just want my dam VCP blue polo shirt, post those transcripts quicker!!!!
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Essendon wrote: »

Nah. DCD is way more fun. icon_twisted.gif
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yep, agreed, the DCD is waaay more fun.

As for a book for the DCA, I dont think you need one. What you need to do is tear the blueprint to shreds (aka lab the hell out of everything in there). This is what I used for my DCA prep > VCAP5-DCA preparation material
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    DCD also has better ROI than DCA.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman