Options

Where to start?

bende239bende239 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have very recently discovered my desire to further understand computers and was wondering where other people have started and what suggestions people have. I have a very general understanding of computers and would love to gain an in depth knowledge of computers. I have been at University for the past couple years studying Chemistry, but this next semester, I am taking off and would love to take the opportunity to start furthering my knowledge with computers while I am not working.

I have spent the past couple days perusing this site and have found that everyone is very kind and helpful. I have put off learning because schoolwork has been hefty, to say the least, and frankly, I just don't know where to start, whether it's taking an A+ class or reading certain literature.

Any help would be amazing! Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Welcome aboard! A+ is a decent way to start down the road to a career in IT. I'd throw in Network+ because let's face it without a network a computer is useless.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    bende239bende239 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Would you suggest taking a class? Reading Literature? Watching Videos?
  • Options
    KragsterKragster Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    bende239: it really depends on how you like to learn. Cybrary - Free Online IT and Cyber Security Training is a new site hosting some free videos you can check out before spending money on CBT Nuggets or any of the more well known training sites. If you are just looking to learn with no interest in the exam you can sometimes find books for older version of the exam pretty cheap. If you are wanting to actually get the certification you'll definitely want a current book that will match up with the exam objectives.