Interview Advice / Follow Up

TerminalBTerminalB Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey everyone,

I was hoping you could lend some advice here. About three months ago I applied for a Sys Admin job and had the initial phone screen about a week later. The screen went very well and they asked me back to have a technical phone interview the following week. The technical interview went amazing, with the resources on the call stating that I was their top candidate (almost verbatim).

Well, about a month went by and I reached back out to the HR rep, who stated that he spoke to the hiring manager and they are still conducting phone screens, but they were hoping to narrow the field to two shortly. So then another month goes by, and I reached out to the HR person and again, they stated that phone screens were ongoing but that they hoped to have a decision in another week or so.

So now it's about another three weeks later and I still haven't heard anything. I'm contemplating sending one last email stating my case and asking for an update, but I'm not sure how I should proceed. The job really is a perfect fit in multiple ways, otherwise I would have given up long ago. Even if their answer is "no" I would rather them just tell me so I could direct my attention elsewhere.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If it takes them this long to hire you, what sort of employer do you think they'll be to work for? I'd move on regardless of how perfect you think it is.
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    Kinet1c wrote: »
    If it takes them this long to hire you, what sort of employer do you think they'll be to work for? I'd move on regardless of how perfect you think it is.

Agreed. If they wanted you, you would have been hired shortly after the interview. Sorry to say it, but you are most likely in their back up pile and they're stringing you along.
  • TerminalBTerminalB Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the advice guys, good points all around. I was kind of thinking the same thing, I've just never seen anything like this before, so your input is great.
  • Cyber_spaceCyber_space Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Some companies move a little slow based upon funding and fiscal things. The company I work for took a few months to get back to me. I totally put it out of my mind until they reached out to say they chose me. It was literally about 5 months in between. Just find time to fill your mind and forget about it...if it's the one they will call and give you the good news.
  • JGDailyJGDaily Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Kinet1c wrote: »

You couldn't have said it any better.
    So an interesting wrinkle to this one guys... A few days after I posted this they called back stating that I was in the top 3 and asked if I could participate in a "final" interview the following week. So I went along with it, did the interview and all went great.

Here I am now though, over two weeks after the final interview without one call, email, etc. It's obvious that's how they operate, but given that, should I just dismiss this company even if they offer me the job? A ~ 4 month process for a job seems a bit ridiculous and their lack of communication unprofessional.
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Not sure what type of company your applying to. But I recently worked for large global medical company, 40,000+ employees, and they also take forever to hire someone for a position. Its crazy how long it would take them. I even asked a couple of my managers and they said it was just how the process has always been... Don't think they knew why even.
  • MooseboostMooseboost Member Posts: 778 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have seen some companies that take a while to hire. While I was hired quickly, my current company can sometimes take months to hire someone in. They interview year round for replacement positions coming up, but only hire during specific windows. At least, that is my hypothesis.
  • anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466
    Keep applying for other opportunities. Some companies take a long time. Perhaps they are anticipating a promotion or letting someone go. So they started advertising for the position months in advance. Happen to me before.
    Thanks guys, yeah I think I'm just going to put it on the back-burner for now and if they call, they call.
  • FrustratedFrustrated Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The reason which I feel why the company takes long to reply back may be coz they may hired someone who is one level above than you but the circumstances can be that he might have not joined or left the company in a month after joining. So If the requirement was urgent the recruiter might have went with person who is second in the list instead of getting again from the fresh pool.. iam telling this becoz this happened with me once. I was offered next day after thevinterview and accepted the offer.but changed my mind not to join one day before and they hired a person who was second on their list after about 1 month. And now im regretting for rejecting the offer.
  • TheProfTheProf Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 331 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It happened to me too... One company literally took a year to get back to me. At some point, they interviewed me and said we're sorry, but cant take you on right now... Then a year later called and asked if I was still interested. Sometimes, the company might be under certain conditions and might not be able to hire you quickly. It doesn't always mean its bad, just that it might take a while for everything to align.

I also understand the frustration that goes with it, i know I'd be upset too, considering I've spent so much time, etc. If the company does offer you a job, don't discredit because you're frustrated, make sure you understand why it took so long. You can even ask them that before you accept the position. Also, do a bit of research online to see if the company has a good reputation, take a look on LinkedIn, etc.
  • akboyboyakboyboy Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    At my current job the hiring process usually takes 3 to 4 months, I have no idea why though.
    Yeah, I don't mind if the process takes a long time, but I'm more perplexed as to why they won't communicate this to me. They were completely unresponsive for months and then boom, I get a call about the final interview.
  • Networking_StudentNetworking_Student Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Don't feel bad, it's not only the IT industry that can do this. When i became a Construction Craft Laborer Apprentice many, many years ago. I applied to apprenticeship when I was 18, It took more than three years for them to get back to me to start apprenticeship, only for work to slow down to the point that the union cut all first year apprentices. Which of course sparked me going into the automotive industry, but still.

My point is, some places just have a lot of things going on.
    Working on my MCSD: Windows Store Apps
    WGU-Software Development Student