I have linux + that is all.

joemc3joemc3 Member Posts: 141 ■■■□□□□□□□
I plan on taking and passing sec+. Realistically I don't think I am get a job with just my Linux +. I have no experience in it.

What are your thoughts on my conundrum.

Comments

• Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The first questions I would ask you are what role are you looking to move into so we can better suggest certifications that can help you get into the area you want to work in?
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @ OP I wouldn't make that assumption. I think Linux + CAN get you a job. Don't forget to go down to the Linux + forums and look at the other certifications you can get from having Linux +. I think it's 3 additional certifications. CLA, L-PIC 1, and I believe another SUSE certification. Go down there and check it. Anyway I would think that alone would get you an interview on a NOC if you resume was solid. I wouldn't automatically go for security +. First get your resume all set up, posted it on here if you would like. Of course make it without PI.
  • joemc3joemc3 Member Posts: 141 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I want to administer Linux and dabble in Python. When I am on the job boards I can't find a single job that I am qualified for. I don't have the experience that is required. Not a single job!

They want linux, Vmware, Windows server, mysql, Python, and more. This is all in one job. I haven't touched any of those technologies yet. I have a new son at the house and I can slowly tackle one technology at a time.

I don't even have help desk experience. They will most likely want me to get network+ A+ certs. I might run straight to RHCSA.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Don't be disheartened by job's requirements. They want everything under the sun nowadays!

A good way to prepare right now is for you to start studying for the RHCSA and/or shell scripting, and apply for Linux jobs. Some places will give you a chance to learn. Having some Linux knowledge is a great way to get your foot in the door. Good luck.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'd listen to Unix. :)