Options

connecting a NetGear Wireless Router to a comcast modem

OakparktechOakparktech Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
Will I have any issues connecting a NetGear Wireless Router to a comcast modem?
I might have to put the modem in bridge mode, i think.
Will try this weekend. any thoughts?

thanks

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Why would you have to put it in bridge mode? Assuming a default Comcast modem and a default Netgear Router, that should be a plug and play operation. Just make sure the modem is powered up first.

Connect to the Internet Using Your Router
  • Options
    Thanks for the quite response. I will post back my results.
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It depends. Do you have one of the big modem/router/wireless AP combo devices or do you have just a modem. Comcast has been pushing the combo devices lately, especially if you have triple play package. It would be useful if you told us what type of modem you have.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You shouldn't have any issues.

Only issue I had was when I tried to use my netgear wireless router as a repeater for my comcast router. The netgear worked fine but the comcast equipment didn't have that capability.
  • Options
    Codeman6669Codeman6669 Member Posts: 227
    If it's a modem router then yes bridge it our you will be double nat. Simple look at it if there is more than one lan port it's a router. Plug your pc into it and check the ip. If it starts with 10, 192 or 172 then bridge it. If not then go ahead and connect it. If you get no ip at all then you will likely have to power down the modem remove the coax cable (if broadband) let it sit 5 min then plug it all in and connect to the router. Cheers
  • Options
    Hi All,

Just responding to my old post. I was able to connect the comcast modem to a wireless netgear router. no issues.
  • Options
    hurricane1091hurricane1091 Member Posts: 919 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I had to bridge mine. It's junk, and defeats the purpose of me having an Apple router. Comcast wouldn't send me the Cisco device and the bridge mode is glitchy on this technicolor crap or whatever.