Options

Interested in pursuing RHCSA

2»

Comments

• Options
    LevithanLevithan Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Just a quick Q, I'm looking at going for the RHCSA myself. Seeing as I can buy a RHCSA 6 voucher until the 28th, would that be a better decision than going for the version 7? I currently have both the books by Jang and Tommasino, however haven't had the time to read them yet.

I'm only asking as I understand that many businesses are still using RHEL6, and it will be years until most of them have updated to R7. Any advice would be great! :)
  • Options
    brownwrapbrownwrap Member Posts: 549
    We are finally pushing the last of the RHEL 5 machines out the back door. I don't see us rushing tp RHEL 7 anytime soon. Fairly shortly we will be one person short, but even beyond that we have enough to keep busy. Converting over a hundred desktop and servers is a big job and bound to break things. This is not like installing Windows 10 on a laptop. We are trying to implement SELinux and that is breaking stuff. I enabled it and couldn't log into my desktop because the GUI couldn't write to my home directory. Just waiting to see what happens to a server, and this is just one thing you can turn off or on.
  • Options
    JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    I bought my voucher for RHCA 6, however I realize that my next voucher for RHCE will be for Version 7.

Not sure how difficult this is going to be.
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • Options
    I read yesterday, I don't remember where, that the adoption of RHEL 7 has been the slowest of any previous release.
  • Options
    I know our shops is going to hold onto RHEL 5 till the very bitter end, because it is technology that is proven, not bleeding edge stuff.
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • Options
    brownwrap wrote: »
    We are finally pushing the last of the RHEL 5 machines out the back door. I don't see us rushing tp RHEL 7 anytime soon.

I can't remember, I think you said you work for the Fed Gov't, right?

If so RHEL 5 has STIGs for it, is that the same case for RHEL 6? I don't see any documentation for it online, like I do for RHEL 5

https://www.nsa.gov/ia/_files/os/redhat/rhel5-guide-i731.pdf

-unknown
  • Options
    MitechniqMitechniq Member Posts: 286 ■■■■□□□□□□
    There is a STIG for RH6 but right now it is a manual documentation instead of using a tool like SCAP.

Red Hat
  • Options
    Not only is there a STIG, but we are implementing SELinux.
  • Options
    brownwrap wrote: »
    but we are implementing SELinux.

Not sure what you mean by implemeting SELinux? I thought it came turned on by default...?

-unknown
  • Options
    There is more than more mode. Check out /etc/selinux/config. We had been in permissive, which just flags thing, now we are slowly moving to enforced and targeted. I enabled it on my workstation and couldn't login via the gui because it was trying to write thing to my home directory.
  • Options
    aftereffectoraftereffector Member Posts: 525 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Mitechniq wrote: »
    There is a STIG for RH6 but right now it is a manual documentation instead of using a tool like SCAP.

Red Hat

There actually is a SCAP for RHEL6!

Main SCAP page (iase.disa.mil):
    http://iase.disa.mil/stigs/scap/Pages/index.aspx

SCAP 1.1 content for RHEL 6:
    http://iase.disa.mil/stigs/Documents/U_RedHat_6_V1R6_STIG_SCAP_1-1_Benchmark.zip

SCAP tools (i686 and x86 64) for RHEL:
    https://powhatan.iiie.disa.mil/stigs/downloads/zip/SCC_3.1.2_rhel_i686.zip
    https://powhatan.iiie.disa.mil/stigs/downloads/zip/SCC_3.1.2_rhel_x86_64.zip
    CCIE Security - this one might take a while...
  • Options
    runlevl4runlevl4 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    JockVSJock wrote: »
    I know our shops is going to hold onto RHEL 5 till the very bitter end, because it is technology that is proven, not bleeding edge stuff.
    Yup. We're just now planning an upgrade to 6.5 from 5.x.