Options

CCNA passed and what after that ?

ricky2756ricky2756 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
My background

I have finally passed my CCNA in R&S and I am just wondering that what certification should I go for next. I am not into IT field yet but hopefully CCNA will put my foot in the door. In the meantime, I am thinking of getting some more CISCO certification.

Below are the certifications i am interested in, just want to get your guys opinion.

1. CCNA voice - With the transition from Analog/Digital phone technology to IP, it has left alot of the older guys in the dust ... so there is demand for someone who understands the latest technologies.

2. CCNA security - cyber security is one of those fields that will always have a job if you are looking for stable.

Any direction is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552
    ricky2756 wrote: »
    My background

I have finally passed my CCNA in R&S and I am just wondering that what certification should I go for next. I am not into IT field yet but hopefully CCNA will put my foot in the door. In the meantime, I am thinking of getting some more CISCO certification.

Below are the certifications i am interested in, just want to get your guys opinion.

1. CCNA voice - With the transition from Analog/Digital phone technology to IP, it has left alot of the older guys in the dust ... so there is demand for someone who understands the latest technologies.

2. CCNA security - cyber security is one of those fields that will always have a job if you are looking for stable.

Any direction is greatly appreciated.

I will have you know, a lot of us old guys are doing just fine! Thank you very much!

icon_rolleyes.gif
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
  • Options
    tuleeohtuleeoh Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratz on the pass!!! I also recently finished CCNA R&S and I'm going the CCNA Security route. I was considering going CCNP R&S to open more doors for a good entry job, but was lucky enough to land a job recently. Good luck !
  • Options
    RynoRRynoR Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congtratulations!!
  • Options
    7255carl7255carl Member Posts: 1,544 ■■■□□□□□□□
    congrats on the pass and good luck with your future studies
    W.I.P CCNA Cyber Ops
  • Options
    omi2123omi2123 Member Posts: 189
    Now, you call John Chambers & tell him that he owes you the dream job you are looking for..That should do it!!
  • Options
    ricky2756ricky2756 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks everyone for the reply. I have some questions for the ccna related jobs while I'm studying for my next certification.
    1. Do companies require IT degrees/ diplomas or certifications will land you a job ?

2. What jobs should I look for with reference to CCNA r&s ?
  • Options
    crazboy84crazboy84 Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Most important thing you can do now is get a job and get experience on your resume. Certs are great but in the end experience > certs to pretty much any employer.

Honestly even with your CCNA you still need to find something entry level to get experience. I would look for helpdesk type jobs. Right now i am in a helpdesk position and i am getting experience in everything from small pc issues to server and network issues.
  • Options
    AwesomeGarrettAwesomeGarrett Member Posts: 257
    If you're serious about the network field, look for a NOC position while you continue to expand your knowledge. Entry level NOC positions are low paying but with the right attitude and a desire to learn you should be able to double if not triple your pay in 1-2 years. Depending on the demand for network engineers in your geographical location.
  • Options
    bharvey92bharvey92 Member Posts: 419
    crazboy84 wrote: »
    Most important thing you can do now is get a job and get experience on your resume. Certs are great but in the end experience > certs to pretty much any employer.

Honestly even with your CCNA you still need to find something entry level to get experience. I would look for helpdesk type jobs. Right now i am in a helpdesk position and i am getting experience in everything from small pc issues to server and network issues.

This guy has got it spot on, you need to gain your stripes on a Helpdesk and work your way up!
    2018 Goal: CCIE Written [ ]