I heard we're doing resume reviews

MotoTechMotoTech Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
looking for my first IT and helpdesk position and figured it wouldnt hurt to have as many people to look over my resume as possible. This is my most final draft as of recently and its come a long way. It use to be 3 pages of worthlessness. Help an IT brother out.

Resume

Also just started a sort of personal website from a template i liked to accompany my resume.
Mototech resume website thingy

I'm not sure if it will help with any perspective hiring managers but I don't think it would hurt.

Comments

• srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Link error.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • MotoTechMotoTech Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    srabiee wrote: »
    Link error.
    Whoops. Fixed. First time setting up a website
  • anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466
    You are NOT A+ certified. I would remove that until you get certified.

You need to emphasize "Experience in repairing, troubleshooting and optimizing PCs". Are you doing this at T-Mobile? If so you need to use more action statements. Currently, your resume screams to me Sales Support for T-Mobile.
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    1. First drop the A+
    Certifications: CompTIA A+ (In progress, Exam scheduled January 2015)

No one lists exams in progress

You can mention that you're studying for this exam in the interview.

2. Do you have experience in all these areas?

Skills
    Hardware: PCs, AMD/Intel CPUs, Motherboards, Various Peripherals, Laptops, Printers
    Software: MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, Access), SAP Inventory Management
    Platforms: Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Android, iOS

3. Are you going to college, did you graduate from college?

If so I would list this on your resume
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
    1. First drop the A+

No one lists exams in progress

You can mention that you're studying for this exam in the interview.

2. Do you have experience in all these areas?

Skills
    Hardware: PCs, AMD/Intel CPUs, Motherboards, Various Peripherals, Laptops, Printers
    Software: MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, Access), SAP Inventory Management
    Platforms: Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Android, iOS

3. Are you going to college, did you graduate from college?

If so I would list this on your resume

Yes I have experience in those areas. It was not while I work at T-Mobile. In my personal life yes as a hobby but feel comfortable enough to list them as skills.

As for college, I've just taken the first steps applying for WGU for a B.S. in information technology -security. Application submitted and fafsa submitted but not officially accepted yet. Plan to start in July. How would I go about putting that on my resume??? Should I put down my high school as well???
  • iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    MotoTech wrote: »
    As for college, I've just taken the first steps applying for WGU for a B.S. in information technology -security. Application submitted and fafsa submitted but not officially accepted yet. Plan to start in July. How would I go about putting that on my resume??? Should I put down my high school as well???

Your resume is a document that lists your current skills and accomplishments, not a list of things you plan to do.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
    anhtran35 wrote: »
    You are NOT A+ certified. I would remove that until you get certified.

You need to emphasize "Experience in repairing, troubleshooting and optimizing PCs". Are you doing this at T-Mobile? If so you need to use more action statements. Currently, your resume screams to me Sales Support for T-Mobile.

Thanks for the feedback. While yes my work history is retail I have strong customer service and social skills which I've been told a lot of people lack. My experience with PCs is only at a personal level building and troubleshooting.
  • srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    This resume needs a lot of work.

The formatting and overall appearance of the resume could be drastically improved. I recommend that you use a resume template (one that is already pre-formatted). Then all you have to do is plug in your information. I will link you to a good example.

The resume needs to begin with a competent Professional Summary. I will link you to some documentation and examples of how to write this section.

As far as your technical skills section goes, I would rather you incorporate these skills and technologies into your work experience and show me HOW you are proficient in these technologies, particularly from a professional aspect. For example, you list "Windows 8.1." What about Windows 8.1? Can you install it? Can you configure it? Can you join it to a domain and check group policy functionality? This tells me virtually nothing.

If you have no professional technical experience, then you may need to create a section related to your self-study or academic experience so you can expand upon your technical experience.

Do you have a college degree, or are you currently a college student? If not, do you have a high school diploma?

Within the job experience section, each job description should begin with a high-level overview of your daily duties and responsibilities, and then use bullets to highlight special achievements, projects, promotions, etc. Don't rely solely on bullets like this.

I highly recommend that you expand on your professional technical experience as much as possible. Ideally you want to list technical experience and expertise in all previous job positions, especially experience related to your intended IT career path. Even if you're trying to land an entry-level helpdesk position, the more past IT experience you can show, the better your chances of getting hired on. Again, experience is key, this is where you want your resume to shine.

Regarding your personal website, are you trying to land a web developer role? If not, I wouldn't include this, as it serves no purpose. Likewise, if you are wanting to pursue web development, the A+ likely won't help you a single bit.

I agree that you should not list the A+ if you have not yet taken and passed both of the required exams. Once you obtain this cert, you should create a separate section called "Certifications" and include that in there.

This is an excellent resume guide with example resumes, a huge list of action verbs, sample summaries, etc:

http://www.filedropper.com/resumeguide

This thread contains a fantastic example of a properly formatted and written resume (ptilsen's resume):

Resume time

I recommend working on this resume extensively and then upload a new revision for further assistance.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)