Needed some ASA 101

HondabuffHondabuff Member Posts: 667 ■■■□□□□□□□
Ok, Now that I got CCNP out of the way I will be setting up camp here for awhile. I got my ASA up and running on GNS3 and now I need some labs to do. Looks like I'm going to need some 101 training. ASA is a whole different animal compared to an IOS router. I need some book recommendations and or videos. I feel like a complete newb! Looks like the CCNA-S is going to be pretty easy but I would like to really master the ASA.

“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can’t always be sure of their authenticity.” ~Abraham Lincoln

Comments

• ssnyderu2ssnyderu2 Member Posts: 475 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I dont yet have any Cisco certs, but here is a link to CCNA Security Boot camp that I got. It does have a section on Firewalls and another on ASA.

https://www.udemy.com/ccnasecurityvideobootcamp/?dtcode=kwCWNuV2d0v2

Others that have the cert can tell you a lot more than me. :)
    2019 Goals: 70-698, CCENT, MCSA 2016
    Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, CIW Foundations and MTA OS Fundamentals
    Cisco Lab :3x Cisco 2811 Routers, 3x Cisco 3750 Switches and Cisco 2620 Router with NM-32A module
    Windows Lab: Dual CPU Hyper-V server with 12 Cores/24 Threads, 96GB RAM and 2TB HDD.
    CANCER SURVIVOR! In Remission Since September 2016!
  • RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    CCNA Security has nothing to do with the ASA platform. You will be dealing with IOS based security features, CCNP is where you will work with the ASA
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • HondabuffHondabuff Member Posts: 667 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CCNA Security has nothing to do with the ASA platform. You will be dealing with IOS based security features, CCNP is where you will work with the ASA

That's where I'm headed RouteMyPacket, Just got to do the CCNA Security as the pre-req. I was thinking something like http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=The%20Accidental%20Administrator%3A%20Cisco%20ASA%20Security%20Appliance%3A%20A%20Step-by-Step%20Configuration%20Guide
    Grant it we use Palo Alto firewalls at work but this gives me something to do over the winter.
    “The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can’t always be sure of their authenticity.” ~Abraham Lincoln
  • HondabuffHondabuff Member Posts: 667 ■■■□□□□□□□
    So it looks like CCP doesn't work with ASA's, Am I reading this correctly that you can only use ASDM?
  • awitt11awitt11 Member Posts: 50 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You read correctly. CCP is used to manage a community of routers, and the ASDM connects to ASAs.
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□

The latest CCNA Security most certainly covers the ASA.

7.5 Implement the Cisco Adaptive Security Appliance (ASA)

7.5.a NAT
    7.5.b ACL
    7.5.c Default MPF
    7.5.d Cisco ASA sec level

9.6 Implement SSL VPN using ASA device manager
    • 9.6.a Clientless
    • 9.6.b AnyConnect