Options

What certification should I get???

VicTechVicTech Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,

I am trying to get an idea what certification would be appropriate for me to start a new career in the IT industry.

I am a personal banker, have 12 years of experience in the banking field.

I am planning to start my second career in the IT industry. As IT has so many sub fields, for a newbie like me, its easier to get confused that which certification should I start with? As I have experience in the financial sector, it might make sense to blend both industry knowledge. Even for that which line should I choose?

Now, is a school degree mandatory? Or I can get short or part time courses and that will help?

Thanks for your help.

VicTech

Comments

• Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    A+, it's expensive and doesn't teach enthusiasts much but it's the most widely sought after certificate for entry level positions.

A degree isn't mandatory but it definitely helps. Really push your customer service skills on your resume, it's crucial in entry level jobs along with the ability to problem solve.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    Thnx techfiend, it ll help.... atleast I ve a direction now... :)
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    With no experience it would be tough to get any IT certificate, the studying that you will require to do would be too much and you will probably not find it easy and might get disappointed. So, before going for a certificate, try to go for experience. Since you already have banking experience, I would suggest you look into IT compliance, it's a mix of banking regulations and IT policies on a high level. This will help you use your banking knowledge and at the same time expose you to the IT world and get you some experience. Then you can look into the certificates, in the mean time study as much as you can, anything that you can. You need some passion to be in IT also, it's not an easy field.
  • Options
    100% agree with you TheFORCE, IT itself is huge field. Thnx for the unique idea. I ll do some research on it.