Options

What's next after NOC?

Interested to hear from those who have moved forward from being a NOC engineer. How long did you work in NOC? Anybody went to corporate IT? Went for specialization (Cisco, VMware)?

Comments

• Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,232 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I worked in a telco's NOC for a little over four years. From there I moved on to two other teams within the same company: config/migrations (year and a half) and SOC (less than a year). Been on a bank's Info Sec team for close to two years now.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I worked in a telco's NOC, as well, for almost two years. Based off of what I noticed in our NOCs, people tended to stay where they were at and, consequently, were most comfortable. It was a mindset that I did not understand. As such, I moved out of the NOC and am now in training.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    My path so far is:

1.5 years help desk
    1.0 years Jr network admin
    6 months NOC lvl 2
    1 year cloud services network engineer
    (All above was at same MSP)
    1 year 3 months corporate networking

I specialized in Cisco but am now branching out a bit to juniper, Aruba, and learning Linux.
  • Options
    knownheroknownhero Member Posts: 450
    My Path:

4 years NOC work
    3 years Jr SQL Administrator minor SharePoint/PowerShell work

Now I'm a SharePoint Analyst

Its the mindset. As soon as I saw SharePoint 2007 when working in the NOC I knew I wanted to do that as a career.
    70-410 [x] 70-411 [x] 70-462[x] 70-331[x] 70-332[x]
    MCSE - SharePoint 2013 :thumbup:

Road map 2017: JavaScript and modern web development

• Options
    anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466
    2 years Help Desk; 3 years NOC; 5 years Windows System Administrator.
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    How do you do the jump from NOC to Eng/Admin?
    All positions I see and interviews I get is people asking me config, config, config. Which is what I want to do, (and Ive done) but there is barely any config in a NOC position.
    meh
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    you jump from NOC to engineering by getting higher level certs and trying to get involved as much as you can. This is where picking your jobs is very important.

I worked at a job where all we could do was call the telco is something was wrong, it was pretty much a waste of time.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    SixtyCycleSixtyCycle Member Posts: 111
    What type of troubleshooting do you guys do and at what point do you escalate? It seems like it differs a lot from one company's NOC to another.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    one Noc I worked for was no troubleshooting, you couldn't even open and shut an interface.

another noc, I troubleshot, BGP, OSPF, MPLS, added ACL's, built on the fly VPN tunnels for people out in the field in Afghanistan/IRAQ, and troubleshoot VOIP outages.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,232 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I got out of the NOC by getting the CCNA and applying for the config position since the NOC work was being outsourced.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    dsgmdsgm Member Posts: 228 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am also in this , at my NOC i been here almost 5 months, i do troubleshooting on live gear but i cant change anything, i do get to provision customer CPE before they get sent out from time to time because i ask to do this but i still want to get more hands so i hope labbing and certs will help me move on

I see a couple guys who are comfortable here, been here up to 6 years, one guys has his CCIE written for the second time ( i will not and do not think this is right to have a CCIE at the NOC level )

I do get to do snapshots and stuff with vmware
  • Options
    SixtyCycle wrote: »
    Interested to hear from those who have moved forward from being a NOC engineer. How long did you work in NOC? Anybody went to corporate IT? Went for specialization (Cisco, VMware)?

This is where a decision needs to be made:

a.) Networking = Cisco route.
    b.) Systems = Linux and/or Microsoft route.
    c.) DBA = Oracle and SQL route.
    e.) InfoSec = SOC environment and Top Secret Clearance. Security+, CEH and CISSP route.
  • Options
    dsgm wrote: »
    I am also in this , at my NOC i been here almost 5 months, i do troubleshooting on live gear but i cant change anything, i do get to provision customer CPE before they get sent out from time to time because i ask to do this but i still want to get more hands so i hope labbing and certs will help me move on

I see a couple guys who are comfortable here, been here up to 6 years, one guys has his CCIE written for the second time ( i will not and do not think this is right to have a CCIE at the NOC level )

I do get to do snapshots and stuff with vmware

Do you like NETWORKING? Can you intern with the Networking Administrators? Shadow them on your off hours? If they allow you to work with them and you do what they do then stick it on your resume and after a few years in the NOC apply for Network Administrator positions.
  • Options
    pevangelpevangel Member Posts: 342
    I spent about 8 months in the NOC before becoming a Network Engineer. I've specialized in Cisco, Juniper, Ciena, and Palo Alto.
  • Options
    dzzwhutdzzwhut Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    My Path:
    a) 2 yrs Desktop Support
    b) 2 yrs Field Support Engineer
    c) 1 yr NOC
    d) 12 yrs - Active Duty Military Officer
  • Options
    dsgmdsgm Member Posts: 228 ■■■□□□□□□□
    anhtran35 wrote: »
    Do you like NETWORKING? Can you intern with the Networking Administrators? Shadow them on your off hours? If they allow you to work with them and you do what they do then stick it on your resume and after a few years in the NOC apply for Network Administrator positions.

I love networking and will be doing exactly what you have suggested, plus planning on getting some real gear at home and i do stay after hours sometimes.
  • Options
    SixtyCycleSixtyCycle Member Posts: 111
    At our NOC we handle everything from install,config,migration & troubleshooting and the only time we pass it to our field engineers is if an onsite is really necessary (hardware issues). I don't see it a benefit transitioning to an engineer role (at least in my company). I do however want to get into the 80K-100Kup range and I know it won't happen at our MSP unless I get into an Account Manager role and start bringing in new clients. I'm thinking of moving to a new company in a different industry and would like to get more insight on this. Will it be banking? Tech? Should I look into DevOps? (I'm studying Python).
  • Options
    AwesomeGarrettAwesomeGarrett Member Posts: 257
    I worked at a MSP NOC for 1 year and 3 months. In this time, I attained the CCNP R&S certification. After completing the certification, I aggressively looked for next level jobs and was hired on as a level 2 engineer supporting a global network. I was in this role for 1 year and 1 month and during this time I made 1 pass v5 workbook I. Through my studies I was able to get a better understanding of QoS, multicast, and IPSec. This allowed to confidently interview for level 3 and senior roles and receive an offer from all jobs I interviewed.

The real question is, how desperate are you to make a change? Once you answer this question, you'll know what you're willing to do in order to get what you want; whatever that may be.
  • Options
    snunez889snunez889 Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The real question is, how desperate are you to make a change? Once you answer this question, you'll know what you're willing to do in order to get what you want; whatever that may be.

I like this...
  • Options
    reboot570reboot570 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□

Me too...