Options

Two Hour Commute - Anyone done it?

the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
I had an opportunity come across that was really interesting. Single environment working on what amounts to a cyber hunt team. It would be a 50% pay increase for me, but I would need to commute four hours a day for at least a month. It would probably be about an hour car ride and then an hour on the train. If possible, to pay off my car and some student loans I would continue the commute for about a year. Any thoughts?
WIP:
PHP
Kotlin
Intro to Discrete Math
Programming Languages
Work stuff

Comments

• Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Why at least a month, then you said you'd do it for a year? Any chance of relocating?

Personally, I'd be all over that for a 50% pay bump, although wife/family life would definitely be impacted, and would probably deter me from it. But if I were not married I'd do it in a heartbeat.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    That is hard. I don't mind long train rides as I can do stuff while commuting, but driving an hour on top of a train ride, not so much. I wouldn't be able to do it for more than a month or two.
  • Options
    5ekurity5ekurity Member Posts: 346 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That's more than half of your day doing work related activities. Not saying it's not possible, but I think your personal life is going to suffer greatly. Let's assume a 9 hour work day (including lunch) + 4 hours of travel = 13 hours / day for work related activities. Multiply by 5 days a week, you are looking at a minimum 65 hour work week. So you're getting a 50% increase for working 50% more - it about evens out, no?
  • Options
    Tom ServoTom Servo Member Posts: 104 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It will really really really suck. Also - is that four hours best case? Or will there be possible traffic/accidents, train delays, etc that leave you in the car 5 or 6 hours sometimes? I am a firm believer that most anyone can tolerate something for a year, but I would have a definite plan in place to not have that kind of commute much longer than that.
  • Options
    J_86J_86 Member Posts: 262 ■■□□□□□□□□
    A commute that long gets old really quick. I used to commute 1 1/2 each way for a contract, it sucked. You never know if you are going to hit traffic or the train is delayed, so your 2 hour commute turns into 3 or more hours. Do you really want to spend that much time just getting to a from a job? A 50% pay bump is nice thought, if your family can deal with it for the short term before you can relocate that is a tough call.
  • Options
    Thanks all! Relocation is possible for sure and I figure it would take me at least a month to find a place. But the chance to pay down a few bills if I suck it up for a year would be awesome. Yeah that two hours does factor in traffic/train delays, but you are correct it is roughly 50% more time devoted to work. As always, the perspective is appreciated!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    J_86J_86 Member Posts: 262 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you plan on relocating when you find a place, I say go for it. It will suck, but if it is only temporary a 50% pay increase would be worth it as long as you are not relocating to some location where the cost of living went way up.
    I'd also make sure they know you are commuting a long distance while you work on relocating so that they can be a little flexible with your time, etc.
  • Options
    joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I've done it, but it definitely sucks, particularly if you have to drive part of it. Definitely weigh out all of the costs/benefits.

If you do it, make good use of the time in the car/train. Study, listen to books, etc. Otherwise you'll tire of it even sooner.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    60 is 50% increase of 40 and income is 50% more so financially per hour you are breaking even. However, if you can move and shorten that time down and it's a job you like then go for it!
  • Options
    CyberscumCyberscum Member Posts: 795 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Just come up with an opportunity cost “in dollars” lost for the hours you will spend on a train or commuting. Subtract that from the 50% pay increase and if you are willing to take that “actual” salary then do it…If not don’t.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I commuted 2.5hrs for two years (each way), starting sometimes at 7am in the morning. I was just lucky that the office was next to the train station - otherwise it would have been a heck of a lot more.

The problem wasn't so much the 5hrs on the train wasted per day (well it kinda was), but more so the cost.

My annual train ticket was about £5000 / $7500 - and they are rubbish. In addition to the long journey, I also had to take an earlier train still because the train is not reliable and was late 80% of the time. And the local train companies are allowed to increase the price annually above inflation time.

Average price increase per year is anything between 4-12% .. depending on route.

Having said that - you could argue - why would anyone do this.

I am in the UK and in my area a job pays £30k / $45k .. The exact same job pays in London at least £55k / $85k

So yes, you travel a lot, but even at the mentioned train costs, it is still worth it ..

Is it fun ? Oh hell no ...
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If your end goal is to relocate then I would say go for it.

Just keep in mind that you will have that crazy commute even if the job turns out to be not quite what you hoped for. There is a risk that you will not be happy with the new job and that will make the commute a lot harder to deal with. Something to consider before you are in that situation so you can be prepared for any outcome.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    Cyberscum wrote: »
    Just come up with an opportunity cost “in dollars” lost for the hours you will spend on a train or commuting. Subtract that from the 50% pay increase and if you are willing to take that “actual” salary then do it…If not don’t.

The math is easy. 60 is .5 increase from 40 and 50% of your wages is an increase of your salary. You are breaking even on the hourly rate.
  • Options
    ^
    I know I suck at math, but how is 60 .5 increase from 40?

Also consider the loss in non-work related activities like time from family and I would say it would be a loss.

My bad I tried to type way to fast with other things going on LOL

40 . 5 is 20 which gives you a 50% increase in hours which hits 60. Then 50% increase in income is static regardless of what the OP is originally making. The hourly breakdown is going to be the same.

I was agreeing with you just saying figuring out the hourly financial impact was pretty quick, of course I botched the formula because I drank 3 coffees and now I am doing 4 things at once.

:)
  • Options
    novovictusnovovictus Member Posts: 192
    I took a position a while back that was supposed to be a 1.5hr commute but was never less than 2. Traffic often made it 2.5-3hrs one way. I accepted if for a pay increase, and I like driving so it wasn't that bad. I would leave at 4am and try to be in between 6-7. I would sometimes leave as early as 2pm and be home at a normal time with the family. Despite being able to maintain somewhat normal living conditions and enjoying driving, it wore on me pretty quick.

Just the fact that you started the topic would tell me you have reservations. Salary can help make the decision easier, but it would be a tough life style. In the end the decision is yours to make, but unless you do relocate, I would say this would be a tough sale.
    Working on: Doctor of Information Technology Information Assurance and Security @ Capella
  • Options
    CyberscumCyberscum Member Posts: 795 ■■■■■□□□□□
    N2IT wrote: »
    My bad I tried to type way to fast with other things going on LOL

40 . 5 is 20 which gives you a 50% increase the hours hits 60. Then 50% increase income is static regardless of what the OP is originally making. The hourly breakdown is going to be the same.

I was agreeing with you just saying figuring out the hourly financial impact was pretty quick, of course I botched the formulas because I drank 3 coffees and now I am doing 4 things at once.

:)
    mmmmmm 3 cups of coffee. God I love coffee, I wonder if coffee is one of the main addictions the IT world struggles with?
  • Options
    @ Cyber

I used to be a huge beer drinker back in my earlier twenties, it was fun when I could roll out of bed at noon and head to class. Now with two kids and my addiction to IT / geeking stronger than ever coffee has become my addiction! I'll gladly replace a black out with an anxiety attack though ;)
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I wonder if coffee is one of the main addictions the IT world struggles with?

Mt. Dew.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    I have a two Monsters a day habit and occasionally I'll throw 3 or 4 cups of coffee in the mix as well. Thanks again guys! Relocation is definitely an option/the end goal.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    hurricane1091hurricane1091 Member Posts: 919 ■■■■□□□□□□
    mmmmmm 3 cups of coffee. God I love coffee, I wonder if coffee is one of the main addictions the IT world struggles with?

Energy drinks too.
  • Options
    JGDailyJGDaily Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Man, my work is only 17 miles away from my house. But with this Los Angeles traffic, it takes me from 1 to 1.5 hour commute (one way) to get there.

Music will be your best friend!
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    I have done hour and a half each way for 1.5 years and you get used to it. It sucks some days but all and all wasn't bad.
    My case was an hour 10m min train ride then usually a 20 min walk.
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    nah man....i couldn't do that!!! maybe if it was straight train or bus, but you have to drive an hour too...no thanks!!!
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    My commute is normally 60 minutes, but if it snows or someone crashes on the highway it jumps to 2-3 hours one way, if it snows while I'm at work its 3 hours easily back home across the Twin Cities.

I have worked it out with my manager to work remotely on the days it snows or I check traffic and it shows the highways are f'd than I just work from home... so in the winter I work a lot.
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    How far is your commute currently? You going to be spending 20 hours a week on something work related that you aren't going to be compensated for doing.

If you are going to do it for over a month why not just break your lease as soon as you accept the job and move. The time and money spent commuting would probably be more than the break lease fee.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466
    It's not just the commute that one should factor but the toll on one's health. When will you have time to workout? You'll be exhausted. You need to relocate ASAP. I would never commute 2 hours each way. That's ridiculous.
  • Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□

ethiopian yirgacheffe...thats my addiction.

@Grinch, don't you live in Michigan? If thats the case, I am curious what this opportunity is. Pm me? Not that I would qualify, it just seems to me that these types of jobs don't exist in this area.
  • Options
    hurricane1091hurricane1091 Member Posts: 919 ■■■■□□□□□□
    1 hour is like my max. People do NYC to PHI though and crazier things. Happens.
  • Options
    Bchen22Bchen22 Banned Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    YOU BETTER BE GETTING PAID REALLY DAMN GOOD ALONG WITH OTHER GOOD PERKS otherwise forget it
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    1 hour is like my max. People do NYC to PHI though and crazier things. Happens.

but those same pplz are taking a bus and/or train...
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)