Options

BS in IT-Security from WGU or a Masters in MIS with A+ and N+ Certification

mstimsti Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello all,

I have an undergrad in Homeland Security and Disaster Response and am currently bored out of my mind as a hospital security guard. I want to get into the IT field, but I am unsure which route I should go. Would it be a better idea for me to get the undergrad degree from WGU? Or should I go for my masters in MIS from Bellevue University and couple it with A+ and N+?

My goal is to be an IT manager, so the quickest route to that destination would be desirable.

Comments

• Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    What school did your current degree come from? Is this school regionally accredited? Or was this a nationally accredited program only?
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    My degree is from Regis University, which is regionally accredited. Thank you for responding!
  • Options
    earonw49earonw49 Member Posts: 190 ■■■□□□□□□□
    IMO of course...

The real question should be:

"Which one of these paths will help lay down the proper foundation for me in order to successfully perform my duties as a manager in the future?" Degrees won't magically turn you into a (proper) manager, they only help in pointing you in the right direction. Years of experience, dedication, time and consistent pursuits of knowledge will make you ready.

Find out what concentration/passion is (Development, Database Management, Networking, Security's) and focus on that while studying and earning your degree.
    WGU B.S. IT - Progress: Feb 2015 - End Date Jan 2018
    WGU M.S Cyber Security & Assurance - Progress: March 2019 - End Date June 2019
  • Options
    earonw49earonw49 Member Posts: 190 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Oh and in regards to degree:

The BSIT: Security degree would be beneficial IMO because of the certifications that are earned while pursuing the degree.

You also will have the option to accelerate your BSIT: Security and focus on your masters degree as well if you choose to complete it at a faster rate.
    WGU B.S. IT - Progress: Feb 2015 - End Date Jan 2018
    WGU M.S Cyber Security & Assurance - Progress: March 2019 - End Date June 2019
  • Options
    IIIMasterIIIMaster Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You can do a masters in computer science, go that route. Some schools will allow you to attain such degrees as long as you finish your bs with a 3.0. Any college should be fine as long as it accredited.
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Based on what you've said, I'd go WGU. You'll get a A+ and N+ there, plus some other certs that aren't entry-level. A BSIT fill any kind of educational requirements by HR for any job you apply to in the near future. Once you're done with that, you can always transfer at that point to get a masters.
  • Options
    Thanks everybody! I still haven't decided what route to take, but I'm going to continue studying for my A+ nonetheless.