Options

can' believe I failed.

was55amgwas55amg Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
Gogousa wrote:
Maybe I'm missing something or my head is just not working, but why did you set the VLAN1 on the second switch to a different subnet than the VLAN1 of the first switch?

good question. i don't remember, i think it was in the instructions of the lab.

Comments

• Options
    wildfirewildfire Member Posts: 654
    Also, at the beginning of the test, there was a turorial and a feedback to form. If you skip it, do you lose points?

You get 15 mins to this, good tip is while the 15 min counter is going down write down subnets etc on the whiteboard etc then skip the tutorial.
    This will save precious time later on in the exam
    Looking for CCIE lab study partnerts, in the UK or Online.
  • Options
    KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    was55amg wrote:
    For the Sims, here is one that i remember (i had only 2):

about the sim with the vtp domain. i found it really ambiguous. There was 2 switches, one for building 100 and one 210. You had to configure the switch of building 210. The 100 was the server. you had to configure the 210 as a client, with an ip address to vlan1 and a default gateway. I did it, and all the pings worked.

The 100 addresses were:
    Vlan1: 192.168.166.65 with a subnet of 255.255.255.224
    Default-Gateway: 192.168.166.66

So i did 256-224 = 32

So you had as networks: 32 64 96 and so on.

So for the switch of building 210, i set the vlan1 ip to: 192.168.166.97
    the default-gateway to 192.168.166.98

Is it the good way to look at it?

I had a similar, if not, the same sim when I took and failed the exam last time. There was one Router which was connected to a WAN, and it had an interface connecting to a switch(SwitchA), which also connected to another switch(SwitchB). I started by logging into SwitchA and looking the configurations over to find the IP and default gateway, then configured SwitchB accordingly. If SwitchA had an IP address in the 64 Subnetwork, then I gave SwitchB a 192.168.166.66 or 67 address to keep them in the same network.

These are completely different subnetworks, so why would you do this? Maybe my thinking is wrong somewhere, but I thought the addresses needed to be in the same subnetwork in order for them to communicate.

You did the same thing for the default-gateway...shouldn't it be the same on both Switches? When I took the lab I just assigned SwitchB the same default-gateway that SwitchA had.

I'm going to retake my exam wednesday, so could someone clear this up? For the Holidays I bought a ton of CCDA and CCNP books to try to expand upon what I have, and it's proving to be quite a trip. @_@

KG

:edit: Oh, and for SwitchB I changed the VTP settings as the lab requested. By the time I usually finish the exam, I have 15 minutes remaining. There are some easy questions Cisco throws in to speed things up...I find the test gets easier as you advance, with the harder stuff at the beginning. :)
    I got a 701 last time. icon_sad.gif
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • Options
    GogousaGogousa Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I took the exam a couple of weeks ago and got the same question. I dont remember the exact question but I think I used the same subnet. The explanation would be, you use VLAN1 to control the switch, All computers on the same VLAN should be in the same subnet to be able to communicate, So I put the switches in the same subnet. I remember that the question was clear about it. The only thing it asked, was to use the last usable IP or something like that.
  • Options
    was55amgwas55amg Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    yeah u all right. i think i got confused. good luck for tomorow!!
  • Options
    erc20erc20 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    They would have to have the same gateways, right?
  • Options
    myk_roquemyk_roque Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I believe they should have the same gateway as well.
    “Remember that everyone you meet is afraid of something, loves something, and has lost something”