Options

New Horizons for CCNA Security worth it?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior MemberPosts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am looking at taking my CCNA Security after doing my CCENT to meet my CE requirements for my Security+. Is it worth doing a New Horizons course or is it better to self study. I am the type of person who likes to mess with the hardware to learn it however it is quite expensive. I have purchased the Cisco Press and Video live lessons bundle but can't find a lot more out there besides lab manuals and stuff like that. With that in mind, it is making me consider purchasing the training course. Any advice/ways to pass the CCNA Security? Thanks!

Comments

  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't know many people that pay for boot camps themselves. I think I would attempt it on your own first.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    That is what I was thinking. I am just having some problems finding decent materials for it. I just thought it would be a good investment for the price. I just can't find some decent ASA appliances or anything of the sort. Besides video training and books and some lab manuals, I can't find a lot. Chris Bryant has a course yes, but should I sacrifice the bootcamp and just spend the money to self study at my own pace and practice exams? Another reason why I like the New Horizons course is that I can also get 40CEUs for my Security+ just for taking the course also and completing the course. It includes everything for the exam. For anyone who has taken the CCNA Security, what was your approach to taking the exam? I am going to be starting my next CE cycle for CompTIA in 2016 and want to have a good plan going about these certs. I don't think taking the SY0-401 would be worth it as it defeats the point of "Continuing education." However, that is my backup plan in case the CCNA Security doesn't work out. I think that is a good plan for now wouldn't you say?
  • Options
    DCDDCD Member Posts: 473 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would pass on the New Horizons. I know you can do the CCNA Security cert but it would be better to finish the CCNA R&S before the Security cert. You should check your local community college and see if they have the CCNA Security course.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I've never heard of anything good from New Horizon. Besides they are expensive!

    But I am thrifty and don't make a whole lot of $$$
  • Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    New Horizons is too expensive and I doubt you'll get much out of it.

    Cisco Networking academy has a CCNA Security course. Depending on your location your local community college may offer the course.

    https://www.netacad.com/web/about-us/academy-locator
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Be resourceful. You can emulate the ASA firewall. Please don't blow a ton of dough on the hardware.

    If you really want the hardware, then buy the lowest end possible. You'll want at least two, so you can do VPNs and what-not with them.

    I recommend self-study. You'll be able to spend as much time as you want on the topics, and if you get stuck somewhere, there is this site to help you, as well as the Learning Network at cisco.com.

    Hope this helps.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    DCD wrote: »
    I would pass on the New Horizons. ... You should check your local community college.

    I don't often give Rep, but when I do, it's well-deserved. :D
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    jdancerjdancer Member Posts: 482 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You can also use GNS3 to study for CCNAS. That's what I did.
  • Options
    CCIE Wanna BeCCIE Wanna Be Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Please forgive my ignorance, I have not use GNS3, but does it still require you to have your own IOS images? If so, where do you get those images. My company is not a Cisco partner (at least to my knowledge it isn't).
    In Progress:
    WGU B.S. - I.T. - Security (and all the certs that come with it)
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Legally you need to get IOS files from cisco.

    Everyone else uses google. I have not played with it but I was able to get the new GNS3 IOU to work for switching. I hope play with it some more this summer once I have finished up my associates degree. For now I am in mostly non-IT classes.
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Real quick, if you get the CCNA Security certification, CompTIA gives you the full 50 points you need to renew your Security+ cert. Thus, the 40 points or so that attending New Horizons or any of the approved competitors would be wasted, to be honest.*

    *I work for a competitor, so take my advice with a grain of salt. You can check out the following link and it will provide the necessary information.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

    Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    awitt11awitt11 Member Posts: 50 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm studying for the CCNA-Security and have found that the hardware doesn't need to be expensive. A lot of the content deals with routers (and CCP), some with switches, and a little with ASAs (ASDM). Most of the lab exercises in the Cisco Academy course don't even have an ASA as part of the configuration. If you have 2 routers (with IOS 12.4 or higher) and a switch or 2, you can practice most of the commands and configurations.
  • Options
    PupilPupil Member Posts: 168
    You can prepare for 80% of it using just Packet Tracer. The remaining 20% is CCP (which is a big focus of the exam) and ASDM. With GNS3 you can prepare fully for the exam without touching any hardware.
  • Options
    cisco_kidd20cisco_kidd20 Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Pupil wrote: »
    You can prepare for 80% of it using just Packet Tracer. The remaining 20% is CCP (which is a big focus of the exam) and ASDM. With GNS3 you can prepare fully for the exam without touching any hardware.

    I agree with Pupil :D
  • Options
    Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    When I first started out in IT, I thought that the training by NH and similar were the way forward. Having participated in them several times, they're a waste of time & money. I'd go with self study, you can pace yourself as slow or as fast as you like.
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

    Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • Options
    Paulieb81Paulieb81 Member Posts: 56 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just another vote to not go the NH route. I did back in the day, and most of their classes now are all on computer. I at least took mine when it was a real class. Now you have a live instructor but its remote, you log in online and go through labs. You can find free training videos on youtube if you want to go the free route, or there are several video trainings for less than $200 if you have a few bucks to spend.
    Going back to school to finish my B.S.
    Goals for 2017: Security+, CCNA = NOT DONE YET
    Goals for 2018: VCP6, PMI CAPM, ITIL, Six Sigma
    ... and when there is time: MCSE, CCNA Security
  • Options
    jdancerjdancer Member Posts: 482 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Some Cisco Network Academys use Netlabs to give you the hands-on experience.
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,233 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Do self-study for CCNA Security. Pass on the boot camp.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    Paulieb81Paulieb81 Member Posts: 56 ■■■□□□□□□□
    jjs1234 wrote: »

    I purchased his videos for the discounted price. It is well worth it. I'd recommend it all day long at $10.
    Going back to school to finish my B.S.
    Goals for 2017: Security+, CCNA = NOT DONE YET
    Goals for 2018: VCP6, PMI CAPM, ITIL, Six Sigma
    ... and when there is time: MCSE, CCNA Security
Sign In or Register to comment.